Pacific Salt 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Pacific Salt 2

Post by Tims »

The recent discontinuing of the Pacific Salt has had me wondering what’s next for the Pacific Salt 2.

I haven’t seen much said about it. What do we know?

LC200n, H1 or both?
E3, E4 handle or both?
Ffg? Or ffg LC200n and H1 grind remain the same?
Will we see it in the next reveal?
VooDooChild

Re: Pacific Salt 2

Post by VooDooChild »

Alot of things have been thrown out there over the past few years.
The most recent info came from the discontinued for 2020 thread. The pacific salt 2 will most certainly have h1. This also means it will be sabre ground.
Whether or not it gets other steel options or different handle options is still unknown. Although I would bet it gets the e4 handle shape, even if that disappoints some.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Sal said that new Pac Salt will have E4 handle. LC200N with FFG but there is going to be also a H1 saber-hollow grind.
should come in 2020, so I hope in the first reveal next year.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Pancake wrote: Sal said that new Pac Salt will have E4 handle. LC200N with FFG but there is going to be also a H1 saber-hollow grind.
should come in 2020, so I hope in the first reveal next year.
Wouldnt the base version just be in next years catalog at the beginning of the year? Instead of the first reveal?

Im also curious if we ever got a definitive answer on lc200n. I believe there was a prototype. I also believe it was said that it wants to be done. I dont see any reason it wouldnt happen, but from the last few discussions on it I dont recall it being officially confirmed.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I got or seem to remember what was said so far like: It will stay H1 (both in SE and PE) and "just" get an E4 shaped handle.
But I could be wrong.

Anyway, my yellow SE Pac Salt is so good that I got a black (SE) backup just in case.
Since I slightly prefer the E4 handle over the Pac Salt / E3 handle, I´d sell my backup if the Pac Salt stays the same other than switching to the E4 handle.

On the other hand: Should it come in LC200, ffg, and SE (which I don´t think will happen), and the serrations are ground like in the Endela:
INSTANT BUY!!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wonder if the Lc200n models will be green, as was mentioned, or a different yellow. I really want a FFG Lc200n Salt 2 SE and PE too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 am
I wonder if the Lc200n models will be green, as was mentioned, or a different yellow. I really want a FFG Lc200n Salt 2 SE and PE too.
Honestly: If LC200n somehow "behaves" anywhere between VG10 and S30V (the total rustproofness ist not something I personally need), and this would basically be a LINERLESS Endura 4 in ffg (PE and especially SE): I´d clearly prefer that over my beloved current Endura 4 s... (still would keep at least my HAP 40 one for the steel and my Micarta one for the scales)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:59 am
Wouldnt the base version just be in next years catalog at the beginning of the year? Instead of the first reveal?

Im also curious if we ever got a definitive answer on lc200n. I believe there was a prototype. I also believe it was said that it wants to be done. I dont see any reason it wouldnt happen, but from the last few discussions on it I dont recall it being officially confirmed.
That is a good question, I never thought about it. We could possibly see the new Pacific Salt in 2020 catalog. That or first reveal. Tazkristy mentioned that we will get a new Pacific Salt 2 in 2020.

Sal mentioned that H1 is going to stay, along with black coating. LC200N was never officially confirmed, but there was a lot of talk to implement it in FRN Salt knives along with different colour.
But it should have the Endura 4 handle.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Tims

Post by Tims »

This thread gives some clues of what we might expect to see.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76996

I was hoping for some more up to date goss’ though!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I have been wondering the same thing as well, since that was my favorite model that I’ve tried so far.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm hoping they do new 3D molds like they did for the Salt 2, and they mellow down the finger grooves like they did on the Endela. Those changes plus FFG LC200N and I'm all in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:12 am
I'm hoping they do new 3D molds like they did for the Salt 2, and they mellow down the finger grooves like they did on the Endela. Those changes plus FFG LC200N and I'm all in.
I too have hoped for that but I don’t really expect it. I prefer the E3 over the E4 handle because my fingers don’t sit just right with the grooves of the E4. I think those more rounded grooves would solve most of that. But like I said, my suspicion is we will just be getting a linerless E4 handle. Meh, I’m sure I’ll be fine with it. :spyder:
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

I hope it stays the same just with the E4 handle. The pac salt is my favorite work knives and a thinner ffg blade would take away from that. It is a workhorse and doesn’t need to be made more delicate with a thin, slicey blade made from a super steel that’s going to jack the price way up. The thick Sabre ground blade with the sheepsfoot tip is a perfect design for guys like me that work outside in humid environments and don’t just use their knives for slicing sandwiches.
Last edited by T-1000 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

T-1000 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 am
I hope it stays the same just with the E4 handle. The pac salt is my favorite work knives and a thinner ffg blade would take away from that. It is a workhorse and doesn’t need to be made more delicate with a thin, slicey blade made from a super steel that’s going to jack the price way up.
I agree, they’re already hovering around the $100 price point. I’d like to see them stay under. I know it won’t be long though :(
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

My vote goes for FFG LC200N with green E3 handle
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:35 am
I think the only thing that is 100% certain: The Pac Salt 2 won´t feature an E3 handle anymore... So I am sorry for you! (I personally slightly prefer the E4 handle anyway)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

While I do prefer the E3 handle and clip design (grew to appreciate the robust simplicity) the E4 handle isn't too bad especially with the liner-less Salt mod. LC200N is just a bit less tough than AEB-L (see image below from KnifeSteelNerds) which should help compensate with the reduction in thickness with the FFG. Pair that with near H1 corrosion resistance and a minimum of VG-10 cutting performance and it seems like a win-win. Also, with better cutting performance you get less force applied to the blade so less toughness is required for cutting...it is a knife after all. :D

stainless-steel-toughness.jpg
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:50 am
T_MAC686 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:35 am
I think the only thing that is 100% certain: The Pac Salt 2 won´t feature an E3 handle anymore... So I am sorry for you! (I personally slightly prefer the E4 handle anyway)

Don’t spoil my fun Wartstein!! ;)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

T-1000 wrote:
I hope it stays the same just with the E4 handle. The pac salt is my favorite work knives and a thinner ffg blade would take away from that. It is a workhorse and doesn’t need to be made more delicate with a thin, slicey blade made from a super steel that’s going to jack the price way up. The thick Sabre ground blade with the sheepsfoot tip is a perfect design for guys like me that work outside in humid environments and don’t just use their knives for slicing sandwiches.
I agree with this, I EDC a Salt 2.
But I also like options and would be happy with a FFG LC200N Salt 2 /Pac Salt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

T-1000 wrote:
To be clear: I like the "thick sheepsfoot blade" of the Pac Salt a lot, but may I ask: Have you ever actually used a blade like the ffg Enduras (harder) "outside in humid enviroments"?
I do, and believe me: It can take a LOT more than just "sandwich slicing"... ;)