Micarta Shaman 2nd Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dudemanaz

Re: Micarta Shaman 2nd Sprint Run

Post by Dudemanaz »

I haven't handled this knife but I love the looks and design of it?

For me, a shaman in Maxamet with some sort of green micarta handle would pretty much be the tops.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Mzen wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:19 pm
If it ends up being PD1 as many are speculating, then it's nearly identical to CPM Cruwear (like m390 vs 20cv).
Slightly off-topic, one thing strikes me as a bit odd... I did look at some data on PD-1 being almost equal to Cru-Wear, but why isn't there more interest in that particular steel? When it comes to the debate between M390 vs 20CV, almost everyone is usually equally fine with either of them, unless they have a strong preference over the country of origin, but as someone who has been watching the folding knives world for a few years now, I have almost never seen PD-1 mentioned when folks jump into the steel conversation.

Anyone mind enlightening me on that? Everyone get silly excited whenever the name Cru-Wear drops but PD-1 keeps flying under the radar, how come?
PD-1 Mule is a dead donkey for flying off the shelves...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 pm

PD-1 Mule is a dead donkey for flying off the shelves...

CG

That was because the Mules were popular for people who wanted to try out rare/new/hard to get steels. PD-1 as a Mule didn't have any real appeal being nearly identical Cruwear, which had already been put into many production knives at that point.

The steel itself doesn't guarantee success. Look at the KC exclusive smooth G10 Cruwear series. They aren't exactly 5 seconds sellouts, even in Cruwear. Smooth G10 and the black color crippled what should have been an extremely popular exclusive series in something like an earth tone peel ply G10. Lots at play here in the demand game.

It took awhile for CPM-20CV to get noticed as the equal of M390, but now you have people asking specifically for CPM-20CV models from DLT. If they do a PD-1 Micarta Shaman, people will get educated on it real quick, and you will probably start seeing comments like "who wants a Micarta Native in Cruwear/PD-1?!?", just like we always see "can we get so and so model in M390/CTS-204P/CPM-20CV??"
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

bigboned wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:06 pm
looking at the specs there dosnt seem to be 'that much' difference in a shaman from a PM2 i understand the blade shape but what else am i missing here?
About the only thing similar is they both use the compression lock. I love them both, but am really growing fond of the Shaman.

The Shaman has contoured scales, which is a big difference -- and the Shaman just feels beefier (which I like, some don't).

Surprisingly, my calipers tell me that both use the same thickness of blade stock. But the blades are entirely different.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Mzen wrote:
Anyone mind enlightening me on that? Everyone get silly excited whenever the name Cru-Wear drops but PD-1 keeps flying under the radar, how come?
To be blunt -- ignorance. But maybe that is unfair. They are essentially the same steels, but made by different makers. For one reason or other Cruwear has gotten traction and recognition and that has snowballed. As far as I know the only knife Spyderco has made using PD1 is the mule, and those don't get much general attention. So nobody has anything to base an opinion on.

If the next Shaman sprint is done in PD1, I will be in a quandry. I love "neglected" steels, and have often championed 20CV over M390. I guess I am one of those guys who goes for the underdog. In the same way, I will be eager to lend my support (in the form of buying a knife) to a PD1 Shaman -- but it will be kind of silly alongside the same in Cruwear -- unless you are willing to make that kind of investment to compare these two supposedly identical steels.

If Spyderco selects some other steel, I won't have this terrible dilemna. I vote for 20CV -- for reasons given above.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I hope Spyderco picks a true CPM Cruwear equivalent. I fear that any other steel, like for instance CPM 3V or 4V, or handle colour will just trigger another feeding frenzy for people to ‘complete the set’.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:09 am
I hope Spyderco picks a true CPM Cruwear equivalent. I fear that any other steel, like for instance CPM 3V or 4V, or handle colour will just trigger another feeding frenzy for people to ‘complete the set’.
This is another reason why I feel Spyderco should really look at coming out with another run in Cruwear with a different color micarta.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would be happy with most steels. 3V, 4V, Cruwear, M4, K390 or 10V all sound great. 52100 would be good but if it’s CF then I’ll pass. Maxamet sounds awesome but not if the knife ends up costing about $280+. Also ok with some stainless options. Maybe XHP?

Just gonna throw one more out there. :) S45VN and Burgundy Micarta. Being a new steel those would likely sell like crazy. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bigboned wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:06 pm
looking at the specs there dosnt seem to be 'that much' difference in a shaman from a PM2 i understand the blade shape but what else am i missing here?
i understand this discussion relates to the crucarta sprint
Really different knives imho...Maybe you can handle them both, then you'll see I am sure
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

A good video on YouTube comparing a lot of Mules by Cedric & Ada Gear and Outdoors.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gamecock, JohnKT,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Slash

Post by Slash »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:42 am
A good video on YouTube comparing a lot of Mules by Cedric & Ada Gear and Outdoors.

Darn missing 3v and 4v
Interesting pd1 over 100 cuts more than cruwear. Thought people said they're the same.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:29 pm
Mzen wrote:
In the same way, I will be eager to lend my support (in the form of buying a knife) to a PD1 Shaman -- but it will be kind of silly alongside the same in Cruwear -- unless you are willing to make that kind of investment to compare these two supposedly identical steels.
Think another and larger shaman micarta run more for all those folks that got left behind. Certainly wouldn't want or need to get another if it's basically same as the other, less you really wanted 2 in the first place. ;)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Slash wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:29 pm
Mzen wrote:
In the same way, I will be eager to lend my support (in the form of buying a knife) to a PD1 Shaman -- but it will be kind of silly alongside the same in Cruwear -- unless you are willing to make that kind of investment to compare these two supposedly identical steels.
Think another and larger shaman micarta run more for all those folks that got left behind. Certainly wouldn't want or need to get another if it's basically same as the other, less you really wanted 2 in the first place. ;)
Yes, I certainly get that -- just expressing the view of the world from where I sit. I am all for another shot to benefit those who missed out.

How about a Shaman in B70P ? Now there is a steel you never hear a thing about!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If this does end up being PD1 my reasoning for buying it is basically to have a backup for the Cruwear version since getting two of those seems highly unlikely or highly overpriced.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm eager for OD green micarta scales.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Come on guys, Spyderco is potentially remaking the same knife with a steel that's 99.9% the same, and you guys are complaining it doesn't say Cru wear on the side?

Now I know why the 10v mule sold quickly, but the pma11 one hung around for a long time
Joey

Post by Joey »

Slash wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:51 am
Darn missing 3v and 4v
Interesting pd1 over 100 cuts more than cruwear. Thought people said they're the same.
I’m no expert, and haven’t looked much into this, but I’m pretty sure “Cruwear” and “CPM-Cruwear” are two different steels.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Slash wrote:
Dazen wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:42 am

Darn missing 3v and 4v
Don’t know. Alloy-wise, it’s basically the same. Cruwear was pretty early. Maybe the heat treat was improved. Initial sharpness was maybe different. You always have to question these home-made tests. Also, I assume the cruwear mule was powder metal but it’s not actually stated in the description.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Joey wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 pm
Slash wrote:
Darn missing 3v and 4v
I’m no expert, and haven’t looked much into this, but I’m pretty sure “Cruwear” and “CPM-Cruwear” are two different steels.
So, you think the spyderco used cruwear and not cpm cruwear for the mule?