Your Thoughts of an Ideal Companion Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Your Thoughts of an Ideal Companion Blade?

Post by James Y »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:01 pm
I have to say that I have been forced from the theoretical to the practical. Let me illustrate why and the conundrum that has created for me.

Last Saturday we left Denver after multiple days of medical appointments scans labs meetings etc. Having finished my chemo but I having fallen and broken my left leg I am for all purposes immobile except for my wheelchair. So for the trip I took by Ruger single stack 9 mm as usual and my para three lightweight. On the trip from Denver to Colorado Springs after having to squirm around into and out of the backseat and the same for the front seat I discovered that my para three had opened and I almost seriously cut myself. I took it out stashed it somewhere in the car. We stopped in downtown Colorado Springs for some coffee and a snack to get us home, another hour and a half drive still, and sitting in the handicap spot next to a recycle drop off bin I had a continuous stream of bin pickers stop by looking for something worthwhile to eat, sell, I don’t know. But each of them certainly eyeballed me, a bald old man sitting in a car with a handicap placard all alone. In the rush to get packed and get our son to the airport my trusty 9 mm was still on the bottom of my pack something I had no chance of reaching. Talk about feeling vulnerable?

I don’t want to try a standard fixed blade. Difficult to carry and deploy in my situation and not appropriate in the hospitals and clinics I now frequent. But after my Para 3 incident, I am shying away from folders. So, I am considering an ARK Serrated. Seems it would be accessible when needed for someone in my condition and the serrations would do a job.

Any advice from my Spyder brothers and sisters will certainly be valuable and appreciated.

Thank you.
Michael:

I hope you heal up soon.

I don’t have much of use to add to what others have said, other than if you choose to carry a neck knife for possible self-defense, particularly for the type of situation you mentioned, I would recommend having it on a break-away chain over para cord. If things go south, the para cord around your neck could potentially be used against you as a garrote. And as was already mentioned, if it’s under your shirt, the knife becomes harder for you to access, especially if the shirt is tucked; and if over the shirt can draw the wrong attention. I would recommend carrying such a knife in some other easy-to-access location instead of hanging from the neck.

As for folders, IMO, any folder that relies on a ball detent to keep it closed has a greater possibility of coming open accidentally. I also would not recommend any automatic knives, as when I was a kid, I had a switchblade open in my pocket. A good back lock would be a better choice for a folder.

Jim
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

newest one that i just ordered is a mkm voxnaes isonzo. 2.25 blade 2.4oz. perfect.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jim I'm glad you mentioned the dangers of using Switchblade/automatic folders>> I used to have a couple of Benchmade's very best Automatic folders and had both of them open up in my pocket on different occasions. One time while I was up in a tree for crying out loud :eek:

With the quickness and efficiency of a Spyder-Hole I found I no longer have a need for any Automatic knives for EDC uses any longer>> and I'm also talking about the high end models like the Benchmade, Protech, Microtech or any other brands of auto/switchblade knives. Oh yeah they are fun to show off to your friends at football game parties or to try to impress your "non-knife" friends>> but I'm to the point to where I just don't deem them as being safe anymore.. And I wish they would legalize them in all 50 states ASAP. But I do think that there should be written warnings that come in every factory box.

With Spyder-holes, Thumb studs and all the other devices that they now have on folders to facilitate quicker opening you just don't need them. Oh I still have an older BM auto folder I keep as a conversation piece but I never carry it or use it anymore at all. To me my old fascination with auto-folders was a lesson learned>> and I thank GOD above I didn't seriously injure myself.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:56 am
One time while I was up in a tree
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
^^^

Most people's reaction to my jokes these days...

Made the taco shop guy double over laughing the other day and this other lady reacted as if I'd kicked her dog. I gave her one more good one for the road(equally offended)...

I then proceeded to cut my burrito in half with my Street Beat, which was my companion blade for that day.
:P
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
No Master Bloke I've never had that happen to me. I Hope that video is fake because I can't even imagine how that poor guy turned out :eek:

I wouldn't hardly wish that to happen to my worst enemy. BLOKE where do you come up with these Un-REAL videos at :rolleyes:

I know you didn't get them from you cousin Angus Young :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Bloke, you have a real gift! :D :eek:

Jim
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Potential Darwin Award candidates.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m finding that my new Salt 2 SE Wharncliffe makes a great companion blade to my new all-black G10 Manix 2 (they were bought together). I like the serrated Wharncliffe blade better than my Tasman Salt’s hawkbill. The Wharncliffe seems a bit more versatile.

I would imagine another great companion blade to the Manix would be the SE Ladybug hawkbill Salt, which would just drop down into the pocket.

Regardless of what Spyderco I might carry, I always have my Victorinox Executive and Spartan SAKs in my pockets.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:33 pm
I’m finding that my new Salt 2 SE Wharncliffe makes a great companion blade to my new all-black G10 Manix 2 (they were bought together). I like the serrated Wharncliffe blade better than my Tasman Salt’s hawkbill. The Wharncliffe seems a bit more versatile.

I would imagine another great companion blade to the Manix would be the SE Ladybug hawkbill Salt, which would just drop down into the pocket.

Regardless of what Spyderco I might carry, I always have my Victorinox Executive and Spartan SAKs in my pockets.
I have no problem with anyone who would use one of Victorinox better SAK knives. Personally I try to exclusively use Spyderco units for my routine EDC chores. But if it came to using a multi-tool or needing certain tools that you find on many SAKs then using any of the great hardware offered by Victorinox is fine by me.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that at some point Spyderco will eventually come out with a more conventional type multi-tool at some point. Spyderco could conceivably come up with a type of multi-tool that could cover all the bases>> and wouldn't that be cool :cool:
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:53 am
James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:33 pm

I have no problem with anyone who would use one of Victorinox better SAK knives. Personally I try to exclusively use Spyderco units for my routine EDC chores. But if it came to using a multi-tool or needing certain tools that you find on many SAKs then using any of the great hardware offered by Victorinox is fine by me.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that at some point Spyderco will eventually come out with a more conventional type multi-tool at some point. Spyderco could conceivably come up with a type of multi-tool that could cover all the bases>> and wouldn't that be cool :cool:
I do the majority of my cutting with whichever Spyderco I’m carrying. The SAKs are with me mainly for the other tools, which I use every day. There are some people who are insistent on carrying only one knife as their “do-everything” tool. For example, they show off opening a can of food with their fine-tipped folder to show the minimal damage to the tip. I can use the can opener on my Spartan, and it’s much faster, safer, neater, more hygienic, and with zero dulling, edge rolling or damage to any knife blade. Sometimes I’ll use the smaller pen blade on one of the SAKs if I’m somewhere I need to be extra discreet about using a blade.

Jim
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

At this point, a dragonfly or chaparral is my main use/carry, as anything larger simply is not compatible with my daily tasks and interactions with the public. A companion blade is something not on me, so it tends to be larger. Similar to others, I have found the multi-tool a good choice, as well as a good fixed blade. If I had to pick one, would choose the multi-tool, as it would see more use.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

As for now I'm using a rotation of plain edge knives as a primary knife in my right front pocket, in my right rear pocket I keep a Byrd Hawkbill. That is sort of like opposite knives. Then I always have a Sak in a sheath on my belt, it is super friendly where it might not be ok with a larger knife.
/ David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:59 pm
At this point, a dragonfly or chaparral is my main use/carry, as anything larger simply is not compatible with my daily tasks and interactions with the public. A companion blade is something not on me, so it tends to be larger. Similar to others, I have found the multi-tool a good choice, as well as a good fixed blade. If I had to pick one, would choose the multi-tool, as it would see more use.
I"ve just been blown away at how popular and well received that DragonFly HAwkbill has taken off. Actually I prefer a Hawkbill companion blade bigger than that for my uses but for probably 80% of you guys it's probably a perfect folder for most people's needs of a Companion blade. I just won't use a Hawkbill smaller than a Harpy because a lot of my cutting jobs are demanding.

But for some guy that is white collar or some lady that uses a Swiss Army Knife for their main EDC then the DragonFly HAWKBILL would be ideal.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sonorum wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:21 pm
As for now I'm using a rotation of plain edge knives as a primary knife in my right front pocket, in my right rear pocket I keep a Byrd Hawkbill. That is sort of like opposite knives. Then I always have a Sak in a sheath on my belt, it is super friendly where it might not be ok with a larger knife.
Are you talking about the Crossbill model? I've been an avid Spyderco fan and I've never bought a Byrd Knife yet>> but I will admit that I do find that Crossbill model to be quite tempting for rough, hard uses. I've heard that blade steel they use in the Crossbill is not a bad steel for serrated edges from what I've been told.

I sure wish Spyderco would check into some different Hawkbill designs for their main line up. Because the popularity of Hawkbills as companion blades and even for some people who use them as their main EDC I bet they would sell a bunch of them right out of the gate.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:33 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:21 pm
Are you talking about the Crossbill model? I've been an avid Spyderco fan and I've never bought a Byrd Knife yet>> but I will admit that I do find that Crossbill model to be quite tempting for rough, hard uses. I've heard that blade steel they use in the Crossbill is not a bad steel for serrated edges from what I've been told.

I sure wish Spyderco would check into some different Hawkbill designs for their main line up. Because the popularity of Hawkbills as companion blades and even for some people who use them as their main EDC I bet they would sell a bunch of them right out of the gate.
I have the model simply named Hawkbill: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Black/604
I bought a g10 meadowlark and switched blades though. My Dad got the frn meadowlark that was left over. The frn and overall fit and finish is a bit rougher than on a spyderco but it isn't disappointing, just what you'd expect. It has shallow serrations which are much nicer than the deep ones my ladybug salt had (until they where sharpmaker'ed down a bit). I don't mind the 8cr, it gets really sharp really fast and strops back easily. Overall a nice knife and good for seeing what a serrated hawkbill is about!

/ David