Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by wrdwrght »

Ever classy, Sal and crew, regardless of what hoarders/flippers are bound to do downstream.

When I started the Native Chief heartbeat thread, I had no idea the Shaman was a thing, and was going to become my thing.

I consider myself fortunate to have each version I want, even if all variants have been extra challenging to get.

If PD1 has been chosen for this announced Shaman—to put the same recipe as Cruwear in more hands—I might go for it, too...but not before I sense the frenzy has subsided. If an uncoated 4V or 3V has been chosen instead, I’ll be on it without further thought.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’m glad to see Spyderco respond like this and I can only speak for myself but in my opinion, the big draw to this model is the Cruwear steel and micarta handle. I’m still trying to find the opportunity to purchase one but I will be disappointed if I miss out and they don’t make another run in Cruwear. I’m not interested in many other steels, especially in this model and would prefer to see them make another run in Cruwear but with a different color micarta. If they just plan on changing the steel, several people who were looking forward to this steel in this model will still miss out and it will also cause many of the flippers and collectors to jump on the new model. Hopefully the increased quantity will solve the second point

I know they can’t please everyone but I REALLY hope they end up doing another Shaman in Cruwear, even if it’s with a less popular or desirable handle material. I know it’s not all about me, but what I would love to see is a different color micarta with Cruwear and enough quantity to allow everyone who wants the Cruwear/micarta combination to buy one.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blueblur wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:24 pm

I’m glad to see Spyderco respond like this and I can only speak for myself but in my opinion, the big draw to this model is the Cruwear steel and micarta handle. I’m still trying to find the opportunity to purchase one but I will be disappointed if I miss out and they don’t make another run in Cruwear. I’m not interested in many other steels, especially in this model and would prefer to see them make another run in Cruwear but with a different color micarta. If they just plan on changing the steel, several people who were looking forward to this steel in this model will still miss out and it will also cause many of the flippers and collectors to jump on the new model. Hopefully the increased quantity will solve the second point

I know they can’t please everyone but I REALLY hope they end up doing another Shaman in Cruwear, even if it’s with a less popular or desirable handle material. I know it’s not all about me, but what I would love to see is a different color micarta with Cruwear and enough quantity to allow everyone who wants the Cruwear/micarta combination to buy one.

Not trying to speak for Sal, but piecing together various comments he has made here and on bladeforums over since this first dropped lead me to believe that there are going to be at least 3 new Micarta Shamans in the semi-near future.

1. OD Green with Cruwear - your chance to get a true "Cruwear Micarta Shaman" if you missed the brown one

2. Denim Blue with TBD steel (possibly 4V or K390 based on perceived demand from user comments in these forums) - tons of people asking for Denim Micarta.

3. Brown with a "complimentary" steel that Sal has said has not been chosen or purchased yet. Many of us here, myself included, are assuming it will be PD-1, since it is Carpenter's version of Crucible's CPM-Cruwear and almost identical in composition. So while the blade won't say "CPM-Cruwear", it is basically the same knife as the one that dropped last month.

Again, this is all speculation on my part based on previous comments
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:30 am
sal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 am
Hi Lumpy,

Yes, we are always discussing new designs and materials that we can provide for you.

sal

Sal, have you had a chance to play around with Terotuf? That would be an interesting material for a sprint run paired with these hard use steels like Cruwear/3V/4V. They make a really nice bright forest green one that I would love paired with 3V in a Shaman! :D

Hi Steelcity,

We played around with it years ago. It didn't perform as we'd hoped for folding knife scales.

sal
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

FYI, there are 3 available on the Bay for 299 shipped. I know it isn't ideal, but it is below msrp.
talesk

Post by talesk »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:34 pm
I am pleased to announce that there was a special meeting for management on this thread and they decided to make another run of brown canvas Micarta Shamans. We'll use a different, but complimentary steel and make twice as many as the first sprint.

sal
Thank you very much for responding to the comunity like this.

10v maybe? Worked well on the k2
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

EngDevGr3 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:39 pm
FYI, there are 3 available on the Bay for 299 shipped. I know it isn't ideal, but it is below msrp.

RIP to all these flippers. I have a feeling the second batch is going to ruin most of those sales for all but the most diehard collectors who really want this version too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I must say that this discussion and the Spyderco forum in general is another huge reason I’m loyal to Spyderco. Thank you very much Sal.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

CTS PD1 makes a comeback?!!

I hope these don't get passed on because it doesn't say "Cru wear" on it
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

CTS-PD1, K390 Or 4V all sound like they would be incredible!

Hamilton
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

hambone56rx wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:42 am
CTS-PD1, K390 Or 4V all sound like they would be incredible!

Hamilton
While I would still prefer Cruwear do to comfort with that steel, I would happily take PD1 or 4V or 3V. K390 is just a little too far into the rust prone region for my comfort.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Fynnister

Post by Fynnister »

Black or dark grey/lead micarta would be simply delicious
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Was anyone here lucky enough to win a lottery pick at BladeHQ? I was not, as I expected.

Sadly, I expect to see another surge of flippers on Ebay and Bladeforums.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:00 am
Was anyone here lucky enough to win a lottery pick at BladeHQ? I was not, as I expected.

Well, it’s mid day and nothing. Maybe I should have signed up my kid, girl friend and dog in the lottery. Hopefully some of the fine people here got one.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

JRinFL wrote:

Not me :(

My last hope is my KC preorder comes through but when I called them last week, they said they’ve only been receiving small quantities at a time (less than 10). This backs up the idea this run was smaller than the typical sprint.
Pjake

Post by Pjake »

I too did not receive the word that I snagged one......I will say though, here and on BF's I have not heard anyone celebrate. I'm a little surprised.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

blueblur wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:51 pm
JRinFL wrote:

This backs up the idea this run was smaller than the typical sprint.
I see a lot of people saying this but I'm still not sure it wasn't 1200 pieces. It seems like I'm seeing as many pics posted online and as many being sold/flipped as any other sprint run.

I wonder how they came up with 1200 pieces on Spydiewiki?

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C229_Shaman
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pjake wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm
I too did not receive the word that I snagged one......I will say though, here and on BF's I have not heard anyone celebrate. I'm a little surprised.

I'd be interested to see how many entries DLT and BHQ received. I'd also be interested to know how many people gamed the system with 10s or 100s of entries.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

BladeHQ is still showing it as coming soon, which is weird if they completed their lottery. All the other sold out sprints/exclusives as marked as such.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Hoping a few emails are sitting in spam folders and after 48 hours, a few more will be available. Not likely, but it could happen.