Police 4 Lightweight Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomH

Re: Police 4 Lightweight Observations

Post by TomH »

Thanks for the review.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Great review Vivi.

Did you get a chance to mike the BTE thickness?

I agree: a Reviews subforum would be great.
sok

Post by sok »

Thanks for the observations. Very helpful. I need to get one of these but I have my hands full with other knives at the moment.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Thanks for the observations. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this knife. Like you, I would love to see a full SE version. I also hope it gets the green/ZDP-189 treatment.
Zvinets

Post by Zvinets »

Glad to see in-depth review of the new Police 4 LW.
I am yet to found out if the loose pivot is a problem to be lookout for as I just received mine like last night. But for handling it a while I have no worries. :)

*Here's a little story of me getting one and a little off topic kinda hahah.

I've always wanted the G10 in K390 model but keeping out of luck and kept missing my chances on getting one. First try it was sold out where I end up getting my first Spydie a Manix 2 XL, same goes for second and third try I end up getting a latest Millie in Camo G10.

Three days ago a reputable local dealer puts up the Police 4 LW for sale, the pricing is quite on the marked up range but I was like eh whatever, I've always wanted one so I placed an order for one. When the piece arrived I was surprised turns out I got a numbered version, first Police variant and first numbered Spydie lol.

It is super slim among all my other folders & the length is just a win as I prefer the bigger options, surprised too for how light it is even lighter than the Millie in Camo G10. The FRN scales with Bi-Directional texturing, just nice grippy it stays in hand even the handles covered in oil as I lubricate mine, 4 position pocket clip offers flexible carry options and nice inside the jeans pocket for me.

Overall it's another 10/10 folder with signature hole opener (or a cute eye) to me. The K390 would only mean excellent ergonomics and weight with a "super steel" :p

Guess it gets "dangerous" when one finds their preference of choice combined with excellent craftsmanship quality, I already eyeing the Ronin or Yojimbo 2, plus many other models that attracts my attention. This "addiction" wouldn't stop anytime soon, I blamed Spyderco for making functional pieces with touch of aesthetics that appeals to me lol.

**A question tho, does Spyderco stopped / changed their boxes? I mean the "transparent" Spyder logo where one can see the line beneath it as a form to verify the product originality. Mine comes with all that looks legit except for the box, the Spyder logo is not transparent at all. Maybe I missed something.
Attachments
IMG-20191105-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20191105-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20191105-WA0026~2.jpg
Polish_20191105_193822242.jpg
Polish_20191105_195424425.jpg
Polish_20191105_195450754.jpg
*Spydies in Care :spyder:
1. Manix 2 XL - named "Fluffy" (19/8/2019) :)
2. Military S30V, G10 Camo - simply "Millie" (6/9/2019)
3. Police 4 LW #189V (5/11/2019)

*Wishlist Spydies :spyder:
PM2 M390 (DLT Exclusive, Crimson scales), Native Chief, Military S110V - 204P, Police 4 (K390), PM2, Resilience, Tatanka, Amalgam, *to be continued
:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zvinets,

Thanx for the kind words. Glad you are enjoying the knife. Our boxes go through minor variations, I wouldn't worry about it.

sal
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I thought the steel for the P4 lightweight was supposed to be k390? I remember a video with Eric stating that I'm pretty sure.

I would love this knife in LW form but VG10 just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I'm no steel snob, I actually use my knives. In my experience VG10 needs sharpening too often.
vivi

Post by vivi »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:17 pm
I thought the steel for the P4 lightweight was supposed to be k390? I remember a video with Eric stating that I'm pretty sure.

I would love this knife in LW form but VG10 just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I'm no steel snob, I actually use my knives. In my experience VG10 needs sharpening too often.
Sal says there will be a K390 and ZDP variant if the VG10 version sells well.

I use my knives too. The VG10 has been holdng up well enough for me. I've touched it up once since I bought it to bring it back to hair popping sharp.

Can't speak for others but VG10 works better than K390 as an EDC for me due to the corrosion resistance. I'd rather touch up a little more often than scrub rust out of pivots.
:unicorn
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Thanks for the review, I was considering the P4LW along with the Millie and the PM2 for a first Spyderco.
Decided to be original and ordered a standard S30V PM2, mostly because I like the idea of a knife I can close smoothly one-handed, a nice touch coming from nail nicks and the like.
I do plan on getting a VG-10 knife at some point, and the P4 ticks all the ergonomic boxes for me (plus I like the idea of getting different steels, and I'm already eyeing a transparent G10 Millie...)
Though as far as fit and finish go, I'm not surprised it's made that well, coming from a Japanese factory.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ThomC,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ThomC wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:49 pm
Thanks for the review, I was considering the P4LW along with the Millie and the PM2 for a first Spyderco.
Decided to be original and ordered a standard S30V PM2, mostly because I like the idea of a knife I can close smoothly one-handed, a nice touch coming from nail nicks and the like.
I do plan on getting a VG-10 knife at some point, and the P4 ticks all the ergonomic boxes for me (plus I like the idea of getting different steels, and I'm already eyeing a transparent G10 Millie...)
Though as far as fit and finish go, I'm not surprised it's made that well, coming from a Japanese factory.
HI ThomC, welcome to the forum!

As you´re new, you won´t get why I say "here we go again" ;)
But anyway: You can close a backlock as easily and smoothly one handed as a comp lock, and in more safe ways... so DON`T decide against the Police or any Spyderco backlock because of the myth a backlock would be hard to operate one handed!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:32 pm
HI ThomC, welcome to the forum!

As you´re new, you won´t get why I say "here we go again" ;)
But anyway: You can close a backlock as easily and smoothly one handed as a comp lock, and in more safe ways... so DON`T decide against the Police or any Spyderco backlock because of the myth a backlock would be hard to operate one handed!!
Thanks for the welcome, Wartstein and Sal !

I know, I did some research before hand and I saw a lot of people showing it could be done easily, but I figured I'd go for the classic first ! :)
That certainly doesn't mean that the P4LW isn't on a (too expensive) wishlist ! You know what they say, variety is the spice of life !
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
vivi

Post by vivi »

:)
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

It really is a great knife. For a long time I've wanted to buy the G10 version, but non-stainless folders are just too troublesome for me. I'm still hoping for a re-release in stainless at some point in the future.

The Police 4 virtually fixes everything that bothered me with the Military; the huge pommel on the handle, the blockiness in pocket, the large lanyard hole, the thickness of the blade, the tip-down only configuration, etc., all while giving me more cutting edge in nearly the same closed size.

I can't really find a fault with mine. It has dethroned both the Military and Large Sebenza as my go-to large PE folder, and will be my number one recommendation for anyone looking for a longer, more svelte EDC knife.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:41 pm

:)
I actually watched the linked video in your signature and I'll definitely try it out when I get a lockback, which might very well be the P4LW. Or the S35VN Native 5.
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I hope we see this model used for new high performance steels. P4 LW in 15v??
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

Vivi,
You're review got me off the fence to buy one. I've always wanted a Police but the G-10 or stainless is just not my thing.

I've carried this one for the past three weeks everyday at work. I usually carry something a little smaller when I go out, just so I don't attract too much attention if I need to use it at night. It's coming close to displacing the Endura as my overall favorite work knife, especially if it comes in ZDP-189. It's already a slicing machine on rope and strap in VG-10.

I'm glad I bought it and look forward to future variations.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Glad its working out for you. I carry mine or my G10 version any time I carry a folder. It's my favorite design from Spyderco. I hope we see a serrated version in 2020!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sal,

I want to praise the folks at Seki-City for the edge they put on my Police LW. It is the first PE Spyderco I can remember purchasing that I haven't felt the need to reprofile. I'm not sure what angle it was ground at, but it came ground thinner than my Police 4 G10 and Police 3.

I've been sharpening mine freehand at my usual angle, which generally comes out to about 15 degrees or a little under. I've been hitting the apex but not the full bevel.

I usually reprofile new PE Spydercos to about 10 degrees per side, then sharpen at that roughly 15 degrees per side.

I'm happy with the performance of the factory edge profile. When is the last time anyone heard me say that?

The Police LW shows such high cutting performance, and the thin factory edge plays a big role in that. Great job with the execution of this model. I know I'll be buying another in 2020, even if its a back-up VG10. Run some sprints or serrated versions, and my Police collection will continue to grow :D
olywa

Post by olywa »

Takes a lot to get me to buy another VG10 blade, but your review did just that. Thanks Vivi!