Micarta Shaman 2nd Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Micarta Shaman 2nd Sprint Run

Post by Larry_Mott »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:26 pm
Dazen wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 pm
I hope everyone who wants a Cruwear Shaman gets one, if they do another run I will buy one just to be able to sell it to someone on here at cost. The only Shaman I’m in the market to keep is a one with burgundy micarta, don’t really even care what steel.
I think i'd bite the bullet and get the scales i want made for one, since steel is less important to you (and i agree)

I would but I’m a sucker for factory fit and finish, and I’ve yet to see any aftermarket compare. Also, I do really care what steel, but I know whatever steel Spyderco pairs with burgundy micarta would be awesome!
Well i think i have found one scale maker who delivers factory-equal fit and finish. I have two sets already with the third ordered. If the third set of scales are up to the standard of the previous two i will use him as sole supplier of aftermarket scales for me :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

For kicks and giggles, I would take a satin fully serrated lc200n shaman with natural micarta scales and put bright colored lanyard on it...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chopper, Chacho,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx Blues, corrected.

sal
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

looking at the specs there dosnt seem to be 'that much' difference in a shaman from a PM2 i understand the blade shape but what else am i missing here?
i understand this discussion relates to the crucarta sprint
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

4V !
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

bigboned wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:06 pm
looking at the specs there dosnt seem to be 'that much' difference in a shaman from a PM2 i understand the blade shape but what else am i missing here?
Just think of the PM2 as an Army Humvee, lighter, durable and very capable. Now think of the Shaman as a M1 Abrams Tank, overbuilt, a little heavier and very very capable. You need both, so just pick which one you buy first!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
sok

Post by sok »

bigboned wrote:
5.2 oz vs 3.75 oz. I see all the love for the Shaman and I always give it a second look, but when I see that weight, I know I would never carry it.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

PD1 would be good. I think people would also be enthusasic about Rex45, K390 and 4V. Also a blue denim micarta would likely be equally popular.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

I'm rooting for Team Stonewash here since my desire is to drag this one to work with me, which means that a pretty satin-finish would be trashed by the end of the week, and I'm just not a fan of the "battle-scarred" look on folders, I prefer keeping them presentable in the long term. I think a black stonewashed blade could also be an interesting proposition, based on my experiences with the ZT 0350BW... I swear, no matter how many awful things I cut with it and how much gunk got stuck to the blade, it always went back to its original state as soon as I wiped it off with some rubbing alcohol. Of course, we're talking S30V in that case, not sure how (or if) stone washing Cru-Wear or 4V affects their corrosion resistance in any significant way.

Speaking of which, kind of a shame we aren't getting Cru-Wear again, I wouldn't even mind black G10 if it meant getting my hands on that steel, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Just give me something that gets stupid sharp without much trouble on the Sharpmaker and can handle a few accidental drops on a hard concrete floor without chipping :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mzen wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:57 pm
Speaking of which, kind of a shame we aren't getting Cru-Wear again, I wouldn't even mind black G10 if it meant getting my hands on that steel, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Just give me something that gets stupid sharp without much trouble on the Sharpmaker and can handle a few accidental drops on a hard concrete floor without chipping :)
If it ends up being PD1 as many are speculating, then it's nearly identical to CPM Cruwear (like m390 vs 20cv).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:19 pm
If it ends up being PD1 as many are speculating, then it's nearly identical to CPM Cruwear (like m390 vs 20cv).
Slightly off-topic, one thing strikes me as a bit odd... I did look at some data on PD-1 being almost equal to Cru-Wear, but why isn't there more interest in that particular steel? When it comes to the debate between M390 vs 20CV, almost everyone is usually equally fine with either of them, unless they have a strong preference over the country of origin, but as someone who has been watching the folding knives world for a few years now, I have almost never seen PD-1 mentioned when folks jump into the steel conversation.

Anyone mind enlightening me on that? Everyone get silly excited whenever the name Cru-Wear drops but PD-1 keeps flying under the radar, how come?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bigboned wrote:

For me:

1. Vastly superior ergonomics, both on and off the choil.

2. No thumb ramp which I highly prefer.

3. Contoured/rounder handle scales.

4. For what I plan to use this knife for it's far beefier and will suit my uses better than the Para 2.

5. I just think it looks way better.

6. It doesn't hurt that it's a great steel/handle combo (referring to the Cruwear version but I have no doubt this next one will be just as epic).

7. I don't particularly like that it's heavier, but the weight does come with advantages.

As always your mileage may vary.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mzen wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Slightly off-topic, one thing strikes me as a bit odd... I did look at some data on PD-1 being almost equal to Cru-Wear, but why isn't there more interest in that particular steel? When it comes to the debate between M390 vs 20CV, almost everyone is usually equally fine with either of them, unless they have a strong preference over the country of origin, but as someone who has been watching the folding knives world for a few years now, I have almost never seen PD-1 mentioned when folks jump into the steel conversation.

Anyone mind enlightening me on that? Everyone get silly excited whenever the name Cru-Wear drops but PD-1 keeps flying under the radar, how come?

PD1 doesn't sound nearly as cool as Cruwear.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:09 pm
Mzen wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:

PD1 doesn't sound nearly as cool as Cruwear.
I definitely think marketing plays a role. But for me, personally, it was just ignorance. I simply didn't know they were equivalent. Thanks to this forum, I learned the reality and now I'd be equally happy with either.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I don't have any inside knowledge about it, but I think it may be that Carpenter does not supply PD1 (Punching Die 1- is the full name-- does that sound cooler?) as readily as Crucible supplies Cruwear. I don't know if this is the case, but there have been supply issues with CTS-XHP being available. Cold Steel cited the supply issue as the reason for their switch to CPM S35VN from CTS-XHP.

I think Carpenter is a much smaller outfit than Crucible. I also don't know if they are hooked up with a mill and wholesaler like Niagra who supplies the cutlery industry quite well.

Does anyone around here know more from a good source?

Edited to add-- when we say Cruwear we mean CPM Cruwear since ingot Cruwear is no longer made.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

Looking forward to it, but really hoping for a different Micarta color. Blue / Denim would be perfect.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

bigboned wrote:

Tip strength is another big difference. I've seen PM2 tips break off. Has anyone ever heard of someone snapping off a Shaman tip? I haven't.
Everything about the Shaman is stronger and beefier.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Cruwear has been around for a long time and has had a few names but Crucible was the first to make a powdered version of it so CPM-Cruwear might be more well known because of it being released before PD1.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BLM

Post by BLM »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:07 pm
bigboned wrote:

Tip strength is another big difference. I've seen PM2 tips break off. Has anyone ever heard of someone snapping off a Shaman tip? I haven't.
Everything about the Shaman is stronger and beefier.
This
I sold my pm2
The shaman is my first Spyderco and no other Spyderco seams as beady to me although I do have a Caribbean in the mail
JohnKT

Post by JohnKT »

Strider uses PD-1 pretty regularly in both fixed and folders (production and custom applications). I haven't seen any griping about the steel in that community. Personally, I don't love my PD-1 Strider (bad ergos for my hands), so haven't used it enough to have any thoughts.
I'm on team stonewashed for the mark 2 run.
Eleven :spyder: knives in my stable.
Most abused: Delica 4 ZDP 189. Least used: Maxamet Native 5 LW (I accidentally sent it to long-term storage).