Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by Wartstein »

T-1000 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:09 pm
This reminds me what a pm2 LW would look like, just with a back lock.
Right, just a bit wider choil and thinner, slicier blade
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My own ZDP Stretch I modified so the spine is a concave sweep, ending with a small (4-5 mm) angle down to the edge, similar to the E4 tip geometry. This a FRN Stretch 1, the blue variation. As modified, this isn’t a knife for hard use, but it is very capable. I also convexed and mirror polished the blade for performance and corrosion resistance. Like Wartstein I prefer the edge sweep of the Stretch 1 for general utility over that of the 2, but I’d choose the 2 if I needed to skin an animal. This is unlikely, since I don’t hunt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:37 am
My own ZDP Stretch I modified so the spine is a concave sweep, ending with a small (4-5 mm) angle down to the edge, similar to the E4 tip geometry. This a FRN Stretch 1, the blue variation. As modified, this isn’t a knife for hard use, but it is very capable. I also convexed and mirror polished the blade for performance and corrosion resistance. Like Wartstein I prefer the edge sweep of the Stretch 1 for general utility over that of the 2, but I’d choose the 2 if I needed to skin an animal. This is unlikely, since I don’t hunt.
Just out of interest and since I am not a hunter myself: Why would you prefer the "2" for skinning? I assume due to its a bit less pointy tip? and probably not the a a tad shorter blade, right?

I have to say again: The Stretch 2 is a very, very good knife, in fact one of the best folders out there... but the Stretch 1 was just PERFECT.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I put together a few pictures comparing the PM2 to the Stretch

/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:40 am
I put together a few pictures comparing the PM2 to the Stretch

Great comparison, thanks!

For my personal preferences the Straight Spine Stretch is the "better PM2", mostly for the backlock, thinner blade, and the for me better ergos / contoured FRN.

Also prefer the long straight section in the edge.
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I'd like to see a Stretch PM2 side by side. Here's a straight spine mod Endela and a PM2:

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z4vdBt wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:05 am
I'd like to see a Stretch PM2 side by side. ...
Do you mean a Stretch 1 (ONE) or a "regular" Stretch 2 and a PM2 side by side?

Cause Sonorum posted the Straight Spine Stretch compared to the PM2 above already.

I could do Stretch 1 (one) vs PM2 later (or in the next days) if that is what you mean (don´t have a Stretch 2 anymore)
vgex

Post by vgex »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vgex wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:22 am

Good pics! Though at first I was a bit confused, cause the blades look rather different in length, though PM2 and FRN Stretch have the exact same blade length (as a matter of fact the G10 Stretch has a longer blade than both)

Then I realized: The knife that lies on top of another is closer to the lense then the knife that does not, so the former looks bigger in the pic.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Stretch 2 (well, not 2; just Stretch, but we used to call it the Stretch 2 before the new Stretch 2 came out) in ZDP-189 and British Ruching Green FRN was my first Spyderco, and to this day one of my favorites. It really is quite similar to the PM2 in ergonomics, blade length, and cutting edge profile, though much lighter weight.

Years ago on the forum a few of us talked about a Straight Spine Stretch. I actually photoshopped a design and sent it in to Sal, but at the time a new Stretch wasn't near on the horizon.

For those who're curious.

On top is my god-awful photoshop job, on bottom is the production model.

I'm stoked on this model being released, and hope it brings the Stretch to a wider audience. I also hope they make one in green. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:50 am
The Stretch 2 (well, not 2; just Stretch, but we used to call it the Stretch 2 before the new Stretch 2 came out) in ZDP-189 and British Ruching Green FRN was my first Spyderco, and to this day one of my favorites. It really is quite similar to the PM2 in ergonomics, blade length, and cutting edge profile, though much lighter weight.

Years ago on the forum a few of us talked about a Straight Spine Stretch. I actually photoshopped a design and sent it in to Sal, but at the time a new Stretch wasn't near on the horizon.

For those who're curious.

On top is my god-awful photoshop job, on bottom is the production model.

I'm stoked on this model being released, and hope it brings the Stretch to a wider audience. I also hope they make one in green. :-)
You did very well!!! And I´d actually PREFER your concept, since it is based on the Stretch... Stretch 1... whatever (the discountinued model right before the current Stretch 2).
For me an even better design, cause the Stretch one packs more edge in a shorter closed package, the hand is placed closer to the edge in a regular grip, I likethe pronounced "hook" at the rear end of the handle, and the tip is, while typically "Stretch", more acute than on the current Stretch 2

Concerning "cutting edge profile being quite similar in PM 2 and Stretch": I may disagree. While the Stretch has a very long perfectly straight section in the edge before rising to a good amount of belly, the PM 2 has a rather contnious curve in the edge from the beginning to the tip.
W"hen cutting, the two feel subtle, but noticable different
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:05 am
Concerning "cutting edge profile being quite similar in PM 2 and Stretch": I may disagree. While the Stretch has a very long perfectly straight section in the edge before rising to a good amount of belly, the PM 2 has a rather contnious curve in the edge from the beginning to the tip.
Honestly that sounds accurate. I lost my Stretch years ago, unfortunately. I may pick up one of the new straight spine versions along with some olive green RIT dye.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:19 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:05 am
Honestly that sounds accurate. I lost my Stretch years ago, unfortunately. I may pick up one of the new straight spine versions along with some olive green RIT dye.

You mean TOO accurate? ;)

Believe me, it's a difference one can feel while cutting (though probably not in ANY task).