Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hambone56rx

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by hambone56rx »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:34 pm
I am pleased to announce that there was a special meeting for management on this thread and they decided to make another run of brown canvas Micarta Shamans. We'll use a different, but complimentary steel and make twice as many as the first sprint.

sal
Man, I LOVE THIS COMPANY!!! This is so awesome!!!!

K390 in Ranger Green/OD Micarta!!!!!!!!!!!

Sal,

Be released in the Q4 reveal?

Hamilton
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Not my favorite knife, but this is too much fun :) Very interested to see what the new steel is. K390 FTW :D
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

rivy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:40 pm
sal wrote:
I am pleased to announce that there was a special meeting for management on this thread and they decided to make another run of brown canvas Micarta Shamans. We'll use a different, but complimentary steel and make twice as many as the first sprint.

sal
Whoa! How awesome is this! Thanks Sal, I am consistently impressed with you and your company/team. I’ve never seen another company be as involved or care about their enthusiast base this much.
Ditto! I couldn't have said it better!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well this will depend on the steel for me. I did kinda want a second Cruwear Shaman but it felt selfish to even try for a second one since so many people can't score their first. I actually like the idea of a second run with a different steel even more than making more of this same combo, at least for the people lucky enough to have the Cruwear version it'll add some variety. I'm hoping for 3/4V.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Outstanding!!!

Maybe PD1? It would be the same knife yet still different.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Now the waiting game for what steel will be used! Personally, I think a steel that takes a nice patina would look awesome with these scales, especially once worn in. I'm cool with like 5 different steel options that I can think of right now.

Sal, thank you...reasons like this is why I have no problem spending thousands of dollars Spyderco knives and products. Class act, class company.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:54 am
Outstanding!!!

Have they even done a mule with PD1 yet? I don't follow mules very closely.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:02 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Outstanding!!!

Have they even done a mule with PD1 yet? I don't follow mules very closely.
Yup, I don’t have it but they did make one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

A great decision, to be sure! :spyder:

It will make more people, happy. This canvas Micarta, is perfect.

This sticks to the 'Sprint' guidelines, and protects the 'special' of the Cruwear version. All while getting another, 3000? Out into the hands of Spyderco users and fans.

Micro-Melt PD1, has to be the steel choice, right? That, would be perfect. As close to a Cruwear version as possible, without breaking the Sprint guidelines.
;)

Well done Sal, Eric, and management.
Last edited by SteveMidwest on Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Outstanding!!!

Great idea!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yeah, I think PD-1 makes the most sense to maintains the sprint rules while making more of what would essentially be the same knife since Micromelt PD-1 is pretty much the same as CPM-Cruwear.

I would still love to see these Micarta Shamans in the very near future

OD Green / CPM-Cruwear
Black / 3V (Delta or equivalent heat treat)
Burgundy / 4V
Denim / K390

Adding a DLC variant to any or all of these could essentially double the size of each sprint run helping to meet demand while also maintaining the exclusivity factor that definitely plays into the FOMO feeding frenzy. This would be wise on something that is sure to be in high demand like one with K390 or 3V.

If they go full production on the OD Green / Cruwear version, a DLC variation would also likely be a popular option.

One other thing I'd love to see is a nice brown leather belt sheath with a top snap closure. That would pair nicely with any of the Micarta Shaman variations.

Finally, I hope all of the above starts spreading beyond the Shaman into other models like the Native (linered with OD Green/Cruwear), Manix Backlock, Delica, Dragonfly, etc. A throwback Dino jimped C95 Manix in 3V Micarta would be a dream come true.

:spyder: Micarta Nation rejoice!! :spyder:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

definitely hungering for some OD green canvas micarta and denim micarta :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

sal wrote:

sal
As someone works for a company listens to feedback, albeit with a penchant to enact decisions based on it VERY slowly, bravo to Spyderco for this solution, this is great news. Though I was lucky enough to pick up the CruCarta Shaman, being a sucker for Micarta I'm certainly intrigued by any and all expressions of the design (heck, any :spyder: design for that matter) continuing to be offered in Micarta.

Couple questions:

1) is there still discussion, like you mentioned earlier Sal, about other colors of Micarta with other steels (Denim blue and green seemed to be the popular choices) coming to market or will this brown canvas option supercede those?

2) For anyone really, I have no experience with PD1 whatsoever, but people seem to be throwing that steel in the ring quite a bit after Sal's post, how does it perform? Is it that similar to Cruwear?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Lumpy620 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:11 am

2) For anyone really, I have no experience with PD1 whatsoever, but people seem to be throwing that steel in the ring quite a bit after Sal's post, how does it perform? Is it that similar to Cruwear?
Compositionally it is 99.9% identical to CPM Cru-wear:
Screenshot_2019-11-07-08-22-11.png
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearfacedkiller

CPM Cruwear is made by crucible and CTS PD1 is made by Carpenter. It is the same recipe made by different chefs.
-Darby
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Great news, great company. Thanks for listening to the people.

I will be waiting patiently now.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lumpy,

Yes, we are always discussing new designs and materials that we can provide for you.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 am
Hi Lumpy,

Yes, we are always discussing new designs and materials that we can provide for you.

sal

Sal, have you had a chance to play around with Terotuf? That would be an interesting material for a sprint run paired with these hard use steels like Cruwear/3V/4V. They make a really nice bright forest green one that I would love paired with 3V in a Shaman! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

sal wrote:

sal
Excellent news! I’m loving my Crucarta Shaman so far, and feel fortunate to have landed one. The Shaman design just seemed to be calling out for this combination (and complementary iterations) of steel and scales.

Bravo to Spyderco management for scratching where it itches and taking steps to get this in the hands of more loyal fans/customers.
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:

sal
Thank you Sal, Eric, and the Spyderco Crew! An elegant solution, well done.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001