Bento Box Customer Service...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slash

Re: Bento Box Customer Service...

Post by Slash »

For the full retail prices they charge you would think they could afford to hire someone to take care of such things. Never have and never will buy from them regardless of pricing with their current policies.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Regardless of what it says on Bentos site I'd file a claim thru PP..PP has a well earned reputation of siding with buyers.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Their customer service has been excellent so far... received goods as fast or faster than any retailer, and got exactly what I ordered.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

With $63 US shipping to Australia ( equivalent to nearly $100 Aussie dollars nowadays ) Don’t even look there anymore

2 or 3 knifes from Knifecenter or BHQ for $15 shipping is where my money goes.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:08 pm
With $63 US shipping to Australia ( equivalent to nearly $100 Aussie dollars nowadays ) Don’t even look there anymore

That's great if knifecenter has what you want. :)
Monty

Post by Monty »

It's sad this is the top thread for the day.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

standy99 wrote:

Their shipping costs are quite absurd Andy, and reading between the lines tells me they don't want our business which is fair enough I s'pose. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Monty wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 pm
Nothing's as good as a Bitchfest! Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Monty wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 pm
Nothing's as good as a Bitchfest! Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D
Two straight Bloke posts with no funny GIF. :eek:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:56 pm
Two straight Bloke posts with no funny GIF. :eek:
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:21 pm
standy99 wrote:

Their shipping costs are quite absurd Andy, and reading between the lines tells me they don't want our business which is fair enough I s'pose. :rolleyes:
Even more absurd is they would still be cheaper than sold in Australia. A site I browsed last week had the bog standard PM2 for $472 AUD :eek:
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

This is a funny thread with people defending a retailer and others complaining about their meaningless policies. Bottom line goes like this if you buy from a retailer then the transaction is on them NOT THE MANUFACTURER.

They bought from the manufacturer or a wholesale distributor at a Wholesale Price you then purchased from them at retail. Part of the cost of doing business is built into your profit structure which dictates how much you sell an item for and yes includes returns.

Yes it is true Spyderco is an awesome company and will honor any warranty that is valid all day long, but that does not mean it is all on them to deal with each and every retail buyer, no it is normally between the retailer and the manufacturer or distributor. That Spyderco does offer such a fantastic warranty and deals with the consumer directly is only possible due to their superior manufacturing process which limits the amount of returns they see.

Now the brass tacks of the situation goes like this, I have said it before and will say it again. If you have a legitimate claim it does not matter what the retailer says are their policies.

Pay Pal also is not the final say in the matter as long as you use a credit card to make the purchase, if you use your bank account or a debit card through Pay Pal well that is a mistake as you effectively loose a layer of consumer protection by doing so.

Credit Card companies like Chase for example have interceded on my behalf when Pay Pal would not. Years ago I purchased some DVD's on eBay. I paid through Pay Pal using my Chase Visa.

The DVD's were bootleg burned copies. Pay Pal refused to assist so I went to my Credit Card company presented my claim and they took control of the situation and I was refunded. Both Pay Pal and that criminal seller got what they had coming from the credit card company which is to say a charge back.

I also had this happen with a stove I purchased online, within 5 days the thing died and they said take it up with Samsung warranty, I said are you kidding me I purchased from you not directly from Samsung, if I had I would have paid the much lower price you did. No this is on you retailer. They disagreed and I said fine I will take it up with my credit card company and park this stove until you are forced to come get it.

Took about a month before they were forced to come pick up their flawed stove they sold me. Again I was fully refunded.

So you see it does not matter what some retailer declares are their policies, their agreement to accept credit cards and the financial regulations that govern their agreements supersede a retailers stated policy each and every time. They also trump PayPal.

This is how it works in the United States.

As I have said before Bento Box Shop policies are not something I like but I am not concerned with their policies as my credit card company protects me.

I have never had a bad transaction with BBS, I have never received anything other than a pristine Spyderco of great quality from BBS.

We all know they are more expensive than others for similar items and insure their deliveries to cover themselves, which they charge the customer for, yes they do everything possible to insulate themselves from a bad transaction and attempt to put it all on the buyer and manufacturer but they are just blowing hot air.

The bottom line is if they have something you want bad enough then you look past the objectionable policies which are nothing more than scribbles on a website and buy the item.

If the item is flawed then either send it into Spyderco or dispute the charges on your credit card. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have run across many, many products with large disclaimers in the box of whatever it is I bought saying something along the lines of "Do not return to seller, contact us if there is problem", so this idea is not unique to BBS. While Spyderco does not expressly state that same message in their boxes, I don't recall having ever seen Sal or Kristi say "return it to the seller" when someone posts a complaint. While BBS may be out of line with customer expectations, they might not be wrong.
I'm not choosing sides in this matter, just adding a data point to consider.

(edited for word choice)
Last edited by JRinFL on Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Duplicate deleted
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:02 am
This is a funny thread with people defending a retailer and others complaining about their meaningless policies. Bottom line goes like this if you buy from a retailer then the transaction is on them NOT THE MANUFACTURER.

They bought from the manufacturer or a wholesale distributor at a Wholesale Price you then purchased from them at retail. Part of the cost of doing business is built into your profit structure which dictates how much you sell an item for and yes includes returns.

Yes it is true Spyderco is an awesome company and will honor any warranty that is valid all day long, but that does not mean it is all on them to deal with each and every retail buyer, no it is normally between the retailer and the manufacturer or distributor. That Spyderco does offer such a fantastic warranty and deals with the consumer directly is only possible due to their superior manufacturing process which limits the amount of returns they see.

Now the brass tacks of the situation goes like this, I have said it before and will say it again. If you have a legitimate claim it does not matter what the retailer says are their policies.

Pay Pal also is not the final say in the matter as long as you use a credit card to make the purchase, if you use your bank account or a debit card through Pay Pal well that is a mistake as you effectively loose a layer of consumer protection by doing so.

Credit Card companies like Chase for example have interceded on my behalf when Pay Pal would not. Years ago I purchased some DVD's on eBay. I paid through Pay Pal using my Chase Visa.

The DVD's were bootleg burned copies. Pay Pal refused to assist so I went to my Credit Card company presented my claim and they took control of the situation and I was refunded. Both Pay Pal and that criminal seller got what they had coming from the credit card company which is to say a charge back.

I also had this happen with a stove I purchased online, within 5 days the thing died and they said take it up with Samsung warranty, I said are you kidding me I purchased from you not directly from Samsung, if I had I would have paid the much lower price you did. No this is on you retailer. They disagreed and I said fine I will take it up with my credit card company and park this stove until you are forced to come get it.

Took about a month before they were forced to come pick up their flawed stove they sold me. Again I was fully refunded.

So you see it does not matter what some retailer declares are their policies, their agreement to accept credit cards and the financial regulations that govern their agreements supersede a retailers stated policy each and every time. They also trump PayPal.

This is how it works in the United States.

As I have said before Bento Box Shop policies are not something I like but I am not concerned with their policies as my credit card company protects me.

I have never had a bad transaction with BBS, I have never received anything other than a pristine Spyderco of great quality from BBS.

We all know they are more expensive than others for similar items and insure their deliveries to cover themselves, which they charge the customer for, yes they do everything possible to insulate themselves from a bad transaction and attempt to put it all on the buyer and manufacturer but they are just blowing hot air.

The bottom line is if they have something you want bad enough then you look past the objectionable policies which are nothing more than scribbles on a website and buy the item.

If the item is flawed then either send it into Spyderco or dispute the charges on your credit card. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.
Wish we had a Like button.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:45 am
I have run across many, many products with large disclaimers in the box of whatever it is I bought saying something along the lines of "Do not return to seller, contact us if there is problem", so this idea is not unique to BBS.
Came here to say this. I see these cards in almost every electronic, computer, appliance box that I bring home. These are cards added by THE MANUFACTURER, not the seller. Every dealer has different return policies, restocking fees, etc. BBS is isn't the only seller in existence that has no return policies.

In the Spyderco pamphlet that comes with EVERY knife:

" WHAT SPYDERCO WILL DO
If your Spyderco product fails to function as it was designed, we will examine its condition upon its return to Spyderco, Inc. and determine the cause of failure.

If we determine there is a defect in the manufacture, materials, or workmanship of your Spyderco product, Spyderco Inc. will repair, exchange that product with the same or similar model or one of equal value. The value of the product will be based on the manufacturer's suggested retail price, as published by Spyderco, Inc."

• We will examine = Spyderco
  • Spyderco Inc. will repair, exchange
No where in the pamphlet does it say anything about returning defective product to sellers. I have never seen Spyderco staff on this forum suggest to send it back to the seller. For crying out loud, RTFM. If a site looks like it was built in 1995 by a high school kid, read everything, vet the seller. Read the TOS. RTFM on products.

I don't think anyone is defending BBS here. None of us like a no return policy, no one want to pay more than they have to. I think defending and stating reality are two very different things.

This whole thread is user error. Problem with knife, no return policy, RTFM and send to Spyderco. They manufacture, they fix. Plain and simple.

All that being said, as mentioned above I have had good luck going through my credit card company for any sellers that have no return policies like this.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I would also like to add that a recent similar thread for a defective M390 Para 3 LW, the buyer is unable to exchange on a site that does offer a return policy, because the item is sold out. So a return policy does not really help(for exchanges) for sprints/exclusives anyway across the board.

Most of us only go to BBS for sprints/exclusives. We all likely shop elsewhere for everything else.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

One good thing about it, you’ll never get a knife that someone else has sharpened, took apart, stripped a screw, or buggered up and returned.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke wrote:
standy99 wrote:

That’s the conclusion I came to, as well. Never mind, we can struggle on without ....
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:27 pm
Bloke wrote:
standy99 wrote:

That’s the conclusion I came to, as well. Never mind, we can struggle on without ....
Hey Chris, I clean forgot about the good people at Deadwood Knives, because I haven’t bought anything from them in a while but they’ve always been excellent to deal with in the past.

I put a Waterway in my cart to see what they charge to ship now.

I have no gripe with Bento Box but just the same I reckon they should punch their knives up their ...! ;)