Bento Box Customer Service...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Bento Box Customer Service...

Post by JuPaul »

I almost never return a spyderco knife to the dealer. If there's an issue I send it to spyderco regardless of the dealer's policy. Some dealers (like KC) have limited return policies, and say they'll label you a "frequent returner" at some unnamed point. Anyhow that's just my personal preference, but it seems just as easy to me to send the knife back to the source to address the issue, even if it means waiting a few weeks.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I can just report my one and only experience with them, and it was good.

They were the only Shop that still had (and have) the Stretch 1 (which I wanted a backup for), both in HAP 40 and VG10 for a really good price.
I was aware of their policies and especially their crazy shipping costs to Europe (over 60 USD, as far as I can recall), but I found a way to having the knife shipped to an US post box and forwarded to Europe for much lower costs.

Everything went well, the item was in pristine condition.

Sure, just ONE single experience and admittedly I only did my purchase there cause I wanted that Stretch 1 badly.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

my compression locks occasionally experience lock stick, but especially in the breaking-in period.

I've found the cause is usually lubrication oil getting onto the lock face. I use a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol to scrub any debris or lubrication away and that helps.

Also, there are two interfaces on a comp lock that break in with use: the lock face and the stop pin. It may prove beneficial (especially on the para 3 LW) to put a small amount of lube on the tang of the blade where it contacts the stop pin when closed. This could help prevent lock stick while the stop pin smooths out.

On a broken-in knife, no lube should be needed in these areas and the action should be smooth and stick free.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

If you purchased with a credit card it is a simple matter to file a dispute regardless of their terms, your credit card company will look at the case and will take it from there.

I have had to do this a few times and each time the merchant is brought to terms. Bottom line is you have purchase protection with your credit card that they have no power over. This is a prevailing fact that allows me to buy from BBB, fortunatly I have never had an issue with my purchases from them.

If the lock stick is so pronounced that you find the overpriced knife unacceptable and it has spoiled your love for it then fight the good fight and get your money back.

If you really want this knife so bad then send it in to Spyderco they will fix it.
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:28 pm
Is non-existent. I’ve had a lot of compression locks and just received my k390 para 3 with the worst lock stick I’ve ever seen. I hit them up for an exchange and it turns out they don’t do returns or exchanges at all (my bad for not reading their terms); instead, they just copy Spyderco’s warranty department on the email chain and make you send the knife to them.

Not a big fan of having to wait for a 3-week turnaround (Spyderco’s warranty people are busy, I understand) when every other knife retailer would offer me an exchange and then deal with it themselves.

Oh well. Too bad BBS is the only store currently running k390 exclusives.
Does the non return policy comply with US law?

It would be illegal in the EU for example...
jdw

Post by jdw »

He can return it if it's a faulty product. He just has to return it to the original manufacturer. I am pretty sure that the theory is that the knife should be returned to the origin of the issue as opposed to the middle man who simply passed on the original issue to the consumer. It's one of the reasons Spyderco even has a warranty and repair department. Most companies/people will make a mistake and, for the most part, I have found Spyderco to be on top of their mistakes.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Some people here seem to know a lot about BBS.

I don’t. I know only that I will have to pay top-dollar plus shipping and insurance for a Spydie (I’ve done so half a dozen times). And I know that I’ll need to deal directly with W&R if I get a sub-standard Spydie (I haven’t).

So, to all you people who know way more about BBS than me, please tell me how big BBS’ operation is. How many people are in sales? How many people are in shipping? How many people are in customer service?

I’d simply like to know.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I agree with the others saying that the lock stick will likely sort itself out. When I got my Cruwear Shaman it had pretty bad lock stick but after playing with it like crazy its smooth as butter, no stick. I'd use it for a few weeks and see if it clears up.
Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:26 am
It's a breach of the agreement. If the item isn't as it should be, the seller hasn't held up their end of the agreement.
I dont understand this thought process. The OP ordered brand new K390 Para 3. They received a brand new K390 Para 3. BBS held up their end of the agreement perfectly. If anything its the OP who is not holding up to the agreed terms when he asked for a replacement. Sucks, but BBS had no part in the actual manufacture of the Para 3, the lock stick isn't their fault, and the OP agreed (whether he read it or not) that the sale is final. It's an issue between him and Spyderco now.

I will say that I wouldn't ever buy anything from BBS because of these return policies and the high prices and crazy shipping costs. It all adds up to a big no from me. But they aren't doing anything nefarious or illegal. Anyone who buys a knife from them knows the prices, shipping costs and agrees to the terms of sale. If you willingly decide to purchase something from them and end up being unhappy with any of those 3 things, I guess its a lesson learned.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:48 am
Some people here seem to know a lot about BBS.

I don’t. I know only that I will have to pay top-dollar plus shipping and insurance for a Spydie (I’ve done so half a dozen times). And I know that I’ll need to deal directly with W&R if I get a sub-standard Spydie (I haven’t).

So, to all you people who know way more about BBS than me, please tell me how big BBS’ operation is. How many people are in sales? How many people are in shipping? How many people are in customer service?

I’d simply like to know.
Hah wouldn't we all ;)

They are Don Draper-level mysterious, and I doubt anyone will be able to answer any of those questions beyond speculation and inference. BUT, I can tell you that my experiences with BBS have been nothing but positive, and I would gladly do business with them again. Highly emotive Kabuki actor has his popcorn, is just here for the comments lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:12 am
BBS =/= Customer Service.

How they stay in business is beyond me. I refuse to play their game.
By having products nobody else has. Hate to say it, but as mad as I am this experience wouldn’t stop me from buying from them again if I want the knife badly enough.
sok wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:15 am
I understand that you had the same issue with a knife that you bought from DLT. How did they handle it?
I didn’t address it with them as the knife had already sold out and I couldn’t see any way for them to exchange it. I’m just hoping it breaks in.
prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:18 am
Do they have a little box you check, before you confirm payment, saying you agree to the terms and conditions?
Yep. Legally speaking, I agreed to it fair and square.

To everyone commenting it’ll break in - maybe it will. I’ve had comp locks with lockstick that did break in, I’m just not super confident about this one because it’s SO severe.

Also as an interesting aside, I replied to the email saying I’d try the sharpie/pencil/flicking approach before sending it in to spyderco and they responded very politely telling me not to modify my knife as this could void the warranty. I wrote back very politely asking for clarification because surely they must have misunderstood me if they’re saying drawing on the blade tang is considered modification. I’ll let you all know what they say.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Let us know if it breaks in with some repetitive exercise.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:08 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

By having products nobody else has. Hate to say it, but as mad as I am this experience wouldn’t stop me from buying from them again if I want the knife badly enough.
sok wrote:
I understand that you had the same issue with a knife that you bought from DLT. How did they handle it?
I didn’t address it with them as the knife had already sold out and I couldn’t see any way for them to exchange it. I’m just hoping it breaks in.
prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:18 am
Do they have a little box you check, before you confirm payment, saying you agree to the terms and conditions?
Yep. Legally speaking, I agreed to it fair and square.

To everyone commenting it’ll break in - maybe it will. I’ve had comp locks with lockstick that did break in, I’m just not super confident about this one because it’s SO severe.

Also as an interesting aside, I replied to the email saying I’d try the sharpie/pencil/flicking approach before sending it in to spyderco and they responded very politely telling me not to modify my knife as this could void the warranty. I wrote back very politely asking for clarification because surely they must have misunderstood me if they’re saying drawing on the blade tang is considered modification. I’ll let you all know what they say.
I think they mean, don’t disassemble and take a grinder to it. Pencil or sharpie has always worked for me. It’s a minor bummer when you get some lock stick but I never had one that didn’t fix itself over time. Heard it does happen, but not yet to me. Good luck. It should be a great knife in no time.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:27 am
I think they mean, don’t disassemble and take a grinder to it. Pencil or sharpie has always worked for me. It’s a minor bummer when you get some lock stick but I never had one that didn’t fix itself over time. Heard it does happen, but not yet to me. Good luck. It should be a great knife in no time.
That’s what I’m hoping they mean, it would make a lot more sense... we’ll see lol. And thanks!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 am
SF Native wrote:
That’s what I’m hoping they mean, it would make a lot more sense... we’ll see lol. And thanks!
and try that drop of lube on the tang where it hits the stop pin when closed. That has worked wonders on para 3 LWs.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Ez556 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:56 am
I agree with the others saying that the lock stick will likely sort itself out. When I got my Cruwear Shaman it had pretty bad lock stick but after playing with it like crazy its smooth as butter, no stick. I'd use it for a few weeks and see if it clears up.
Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:26 am
It's a breach of the agreement. If the item isn't as it should be, the seller hasn't held up their end of the agreement.
I dont understand this thought process. The OP ordered brand new K390 Para 3. They received a brand new K390 Para 3. BBS held up their end of the agreement perfectly. If anything its the OP who is not holding up to the agreed terms when he asked for a replacement. Sucks, but BBS had no part in the actual manufacture of the Para 3, the lock stick isn't their fault, and the OP agreed (whether he read it or not) that the sale is final. It's an issue between him and Spyderco now.

I will say that I wouldn't ever buy anything from BBS because of these return policies and the high prices and crazy shipping costs. It all adds up to a big no from me. But they aren't doing anything nefarious or illegal. Anyone who buys a knife from them knows the prices, shipping costs and agrees to the terms of sale. If you willingly decide to purchase something from them and end up being unhappy with any of those 3 things, I guess its a lesson learned.
Despite not liking BSS, I actually wasn't talking about BBS specifically in that post, believe it or not. The post I was replying to made me think about a few general concepts of how the market works in the US these days. Sometimes I feel like people forget that transactions are a trade; money for a good or service. The customer has the power, because they're the one with the money. The entire goal of the business owner is to make money. And these days the customer often gets taken for granted IMO.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
sok

Post by sok »

aaronkb wrote:

sok wrote:
So in order to get the DLT knife problem addressed, you would have had to send it to Spyderco. Exactly the same as BBS.

I do want to say that I understand your disappointment in not getting a perfect item. I have never had to send a knife back, but I have had other things that I have purchased online returned for repair.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I've never purchased from BBS due to their various policies. Compared to other Spyderco dealers, their prices are too high, they charge too much for shipping on top of that and they do not accept returns for any reason. Their simplistic website's main page should at least say in big bold letters that "ALL SALES ARE FINAL" and not just in the Terms & Conditions page.

Normally, none of these would matter except that Spyderco still allows them to have 2-4 exclusives a year (4 so far in 2019). Personally, that's a ding on Spyderco as well.
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

aaronkb wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

I can get the same knives on ebay for the same price(or cheaper), with the same refund policy and free shipping.

Also, they have yet to have a steel on an exclusive that I couldn't get elsewhere, for less.

I would never purchase anything from them, unless they made a Caribbean, Dodo, Jester or Baby Horn exclusive.
Then it would come down to how outrageous of a price they put on it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 am
SF Native wrote:
and try that drop of lube on the tang where it hits the stop pin when closed. That has worked wonders on para 3 LWs.
I’m gonna try that on a few knives, thank you!

For anyone who’s following, btw, spyderco support clarified that drawing on the blade tang is OK as long as I don’t disassemble it. Thank god that was just a misunderstanding! Although I also thought they had changed their policy to allow disassembly...
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Who is responsible for quality control? the manufacturer? the wholesaler/distributor? the retailer? the end user? The more you push the quality control; the more it pushes up prices ... and you are aware of how unfavorably current BBS pricing is received.

Because it doesn't meet your quality control doesn't mean it doesn't meet manufacturer's quality control or an industry standard. What standards? Who sets the standards?

I think industry standards is something that is lacking in many industries here in the U.S. Standards can help to align expectations between manufacturer's and end users.

Yes, I hate it when retailers won't let me cherry pick the product so I guarantee myself the best sample (and subsequently stick others with my QC rejects which may or may not matter to the next guy). There is sample variation in most products; you don't always win and get the most perfect unit.

Probably best you send it in to Spyderco; they will likely make it perfect (and you might even get a nifty sticker or two out of it)! The inconvenience, additional expense, and time without your beloved knife is not the end of the world... but certainly nothing fun to have to deal with. I suspect we have all had to do this with something at sometime in our lives.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!