Bento Box Customer Service...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aaronkb

Bento Box Customer Service...

Post by aaronkb »

Is non-existent. I’ve had a lot of compression locks and just received my k390 para 3 with the worst lock stick I’ve ever seen. I hit them up for an exchange and it turns out they don’t do returns or exchanges at all (my bad for not reading their terms); instead, they just copy Spyderco’s warranty department on the email chain and make you send the knife to them.

Not a big fan of having to wait for a 3-week turnaround (Spyderco’s warranty people are busy, I understand) when every other knife retailer would offer me an exchange and then deal with it themselves.

Oh well. Too bad BBS is the only store currently running k390 exclusives.
JacksonKnives

Re: Bento Box Customer Service...

Post by JacksonKnives »

In before the lock! :D

[edit:
By which I mean "well, here comes controversy!" The mods here rarely ever shut things down, even when we're at our most childish.

There's a balanced mix of opinions on this forum, but both sides are *very* vocal. Obviously if you've had a disappointing experience it's good to hear about it, but I don't understand why certain members feel the need to turn every BBS thread into another flame war.
]
Last edited by JacksonKnives on Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:30 am
In before the lock! :D
Hahahaha, for real. You're not exactly allowed to criticize BBS 'round these parts.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It’s worth noting BBS’s Terms:

All sales are final. If you feel that there is an issue with your Spyderco knife, please contact Spyderco's Warranty and Repair Department either by phone at (800) 525-7770, extension 255, or by email at customerservice@spyderco.com.”
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

It’s bound to happen with policy like BBS has. You gotta admit, they have kind of perfected the online sales thing. No risk, pass it to the manufacturer and customer. Low overhead, higher prices and higher margins than any competitors. I think they have their clientele figured out. Those exclusive runs sure are an appealing lure.

I guess the upside here is you have an excellent manufacturer to turn to. They are great to work with. That’s part of why we all appreciate Spyderco so much. It’s one of the most unique Companies around today.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

BBS already has the worst prices out there, not to mention their ridiculous shipping costs, so this is quite simply yet another reason NOT to do business with them! :rolleyes:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:47 am
It’s worth noting BBS’s Terms:

All sales are final. If you feel that there is an issue with your Spyderco knife, please contact Spyderco's Warranty and Repair Department either by phone at (800) 525-7770, extension 255, or by email at customerservice@spyderco.com.”
Yep, they’re not being sneaky about it at all... like I said in my OP, I should have read their terms. But to be totally honest I would’ve risked it anyway for the k390, which I guess is what they’re banking on.

It’s just a shame to see policy like that... feels like a huge middle finger to the customer.
jtoler_9 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:59 am
I guess the upside here is you have an excellent manufacturer to turn to. They are great to work with. That’s part of why we all appreciate Spyderco so much. It’s one of the most unique Companies around today.
Nothing but love for spyderco. The downside to that upside is that they responded saying their current turnaround time is 3 weeks. I don’t hold that against them, they’re busy, but waiting for an exciting drop, getting it, waiting for your knife to arrive, and then having to send it off for close to a month is a major buzzkill. There’s a reason every other retailer has a return policy, it’d be much quicker and more convenient to return it and try again and waiting on the warranty department would be a lot less painful for BBS than it is for the guy who was stoked to get his favorite knife in an amazing steel.
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

over at this side of the pond that kind of behaviour is illegal - your contract of sale is with who takes your money and they are obliged to repair/replace/refund they arent allowed to pass the buck unless the item is out of warranty
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

bigboned wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:46 am
over at this side of the pond that kind of behaviour is illegal - your contract of sale is with who takes your money and they are obliged to repair/replace/refund they arent allowed to pass the buck unless the item is out of warranty
Yep, and I can definitely see why. It's a breach of the agreement. If the item isn't as it should be, the seller hasn't held up their end of the agreement. It's like the buyer saying "all payments are final" and making it look like they initially paid the full amount, only for the seller to find out later that there's $40 missing, with no way to get the remaining $40 from said buyer (which would also be a breach of the agreement). Sometimes it's funny to me how things work in the states. The customer isn't always as appreciated as I think they should be.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Kabuki actor reaches for microwave popcorn------>
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I think lock stick is a feature, not a warranty issue.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BBS =/= Customer Service.

How they stay in business is beyond me. I refuse to play their game.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sok

Post by sok »

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:28 pm

Not a big fan of having to wait for a 3-week turnaround (Spyderco’s warranty people are busy, I understand) when every other knife retailer would offer me an exchange and then deal with it themselves.
I understand that you had the same issue with a knife that you bought from DLT. How did they handle it?
jdw

Post by jdw »

NM
Last edited by jdw on Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’m pretty sure they didn’t open the box and say “yep, let’s send him this one, we’re out to get him and his money”
I’ve received blades with one issue or another from just about every dealer. It happens. It sucks. There’s a way to deal with it though. Can’t always have it “I want it my way and I want it now”.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They have every right to operate their business however they see fit, and I have every right to never order from them. So far it's working out great for both of us.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:15 am
They have every right to operate their business however they see fit, and I have every right to never order from them. So far it's working out great for both of us.
This.

That's exactly how things are supposed to work. You don't like their policies, you vote with your dollars by shopping elsewhere.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Do they have a little box you check, before you confirm payment, saying you agree to the terms and conditions?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

No refunds because they already used your arm and leg on someone else
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is pretty much common knowledge what BBS’ policies are around here and this has already been discussed many times. They commission great exclusives and sometimes at decent prices but their other policies turn folks off so many of their knives sell slow.

It comes down to voting with your wallet. Do what you think is best with your own money. I have personally purchased three of their knives. Two direct from them and one on the secondary market. I like all three knives and if they commission another knife I want I will buy it too.

Spyderco is aware of BBS’ policy on returns and they choose to still make exclusives for them. For that reason I have no problem handling any issues with Spyderco’s W&R.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?