K390 & Corrosion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

K390 & Corrosion

Post by kennethsime »

Hi all,

Long hiatus from the knife game, but I'm back in with a K390 PM2 from BBS (and now a Para3 on the way). It's a fantastic knife, and I couldn't be happier.

I've carried knives in VG-10, ZDP-189, and S30V (ok and cheap stuff), never a tool steel. I know that K390 is a powdered tool steel, and that it's more likely to corrode than anything I've carried before. I also know that some people go out of their way to "force" a patina on their M4 knives. I should mention that I'm a user - I don't own a safe, and hold no safe queens.

My question is: How many of you are actually oiling your K390 blades, or doing something else to inhibit corrosion? I've been carrying & using mine every day for the better part of a month now and there's no sign of any corrosion yet.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TomAiello

Re: K390 & Corrosion

Post by TomAiello »

I use marine grade Tuff-Glide, applied via their Tuff-Cloth application.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:46 pm
I use marine grade Tuff-Glide, applied via their Tuff-Cloth application.
+1 I use the regular Tuff-Glide on every new knife. I use the small applicator bottle and let is soak in good, then use the Tuff-Cloth regularly
Last edited by CXXX on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Welcome back to the game, Kenneth!
It's a great time to be back. :)

For some reason. K390, keeps me on my toes, more than any other steel.
After a few times, of it showing me it's need for EXTRA care. I've been much better, with wiping it down with pure silicone oil. After a days use, and then putting it up. For the next knife to takes its place, in my EDC rotation. :spyder:
Last edited by SteveMidwest on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I don’t have k390 but I do have a 52100 Para 3, and I believe 52100 is the most corrosive of all the Spydercos steels so far?
I live in the south (Georgia) where the humidity is wretched and carry this knife as a daily user, and I’ve had no corrosion issues so far.
I just keep a little Daiwa reel oil or gun oil(or whatever oil I have handy) on the blade and make sure to wipe it off after using it on anything liquid/corrosive. Easy money.

I also rotate between Cruwear and hap40 (which are also corrosion prone) and no issues with them either.

Just keep some sort of oil on the blade and wipe it off after use and you’ll be good.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I use Vaseline, which is paraffin wax and mineral oil, basically, and it is food safe. I have yet to have an issue, at all, with any tool steels or plain carbon steels. I just put it on and wipe it off. A thin unseen coat remains.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Slash

Post by Slash »

Bear fat
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Haunted House wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:37 pm
I don’t have k390 but I do have a 52100 Para 3, and I believe 52100 is the most corrosive of all the Spydercos steels so far?
I live in the south (Georgia) where the humidity is wretched and carry this knife as a daily user, and I’ve had no corrosion issues so far.
I just keep a little Daiwa reel oil or gun oil(or whatever oil I have handy) on the blade and make sure to wipe it off after using it on anything liquid/corrosive. Easy money.

I also rotate between Cruwear and hap40 (which are also corrosion prone) and no issues with them either.

Just keep some sort of oil on the blade and wipe it off after use and you’ll be good.
I'm like you, I use both my Police4 and (lots of) 52100 in south Louisiana, and if I keep on top of it I have no serious corrosion issues. You're right, 52100 is definitely Spyderco's hottest steel, but any ol' oil will do the trick!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah I use a bit of mineral oil on my Police 4 G10 and Urban blades after I've been using them in wet or mildly acidic environments.
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

If you also use it for food prep use Ballistol. Ballistol is food safe in contrast to al lot of other blade lubricants/protective oils.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I haven't been oiling my K390. My blade shows a very mild patina and no rust. I'm happy with the level of corrosion resistance it offers.

However the liners on my Police 4 rusted pretty bad. I don't know if that issue is unique to the Police 4 or if its something to look out for in other K390 Spydercos with liners. Keep an eye on yours either way.
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I never oil my blades, and my P4 took on a patina almost immediately, which I think is somewhat related to the deep grind lines making it harder to casually wipe clean. However, I don't mind a patina. If you take decent care of your blades I wouldn't worry about it and just let it form a natural patina in use.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

K390 and my sweat don't play well together...a few hours of IWB carry and the steel that's up against my skin and spine get spotted up pretty good.
-Turbo
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Slash wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 pm
Bear fat
This actually made me laugh, sitting at my desk at work. :D
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m certainly wary of actual iron oxides but will let my K390 (and other tool steels) patina naturally as a way of retarding this rust. The only oil I apply routinely is for the sake of moving parts.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:40 pm
I just put it on and ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

I wipe my M4 Mantras with olive oil as I use the knife on food regularly.
Guess that will work on K390 too.
Should be a fantastic steel, curious to try it out sometime.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I do not force patinas and I keep mine rust free. When I get new knives in non stainless I clean them, apply tuff glide and let dry for a day. I wipe everything off then wax the blade with a paste wax. I use Renaissance wax in particular. This pretty much keeps the blade oxygen free so rust will not build up. The wax also micro polishes the blade when applying so it helps clean the blade and really makes it look good. If I scratch or scrape the blade I reapply as needed. If I get salts/blood/acids etc on my knife I wash it off with soap and water and reapply. I also use dry aerosol teflon lubes on the pivot and bearing surfaces. It takes a lot longer to write about it than do it and this care keeps much rustier steel than K390 looking rust free and shiny.

Joe
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

When people carried 1095 knives, how did they deal?
sok

Post by sok »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:11 pm
I do not force patinas and I keep mine rust free. When I get new knives in non stainless I clean them, apply tuff glide and let dry for a day. I wipe everything off then wax the blade with a paste wax. I use Renaissance wax in particular. This pretty much keeps the blade oxygen free so rust will not build up. The wax also micro polishes the blade when applying so it helps clean the blade and really makes it look good. If I scratch or scrape the blade I reapply as needed. If I get salts/blood/acids etc on my knife I wash it off with soap and water and reapply. I also use dry aerosol teflon lubes on the pivot and bearing surfaces. It takes a lot longer to write about it than do it and this care keeps much rustier steel than K390 looking rust free and shiny.

Joe

Hmm, I have always wondered about putting wax on a blade. Whilst I had my new Para 3 K390 apart, I decided to put some Liquid Glass on the blade. None went on the pivot area. I should have about Five coats on before the end of the day.