Upland game/Small game knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Post by Doc Dan »

Kels73 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:47 am
As I prepare for squirrel season, this question has been on my mind too. When cleaning squirrel, I prefer a stainless steel blade that is roughly 3" long and very slender. For big game, I usually use a fixed blade; however, for small game, either fixed or folding is fine.

I can make other knives work, but these are my preferred specs. I typically use a traditional Trapper with two blades. Mora also has some small fixed blades that suit me.

As for Spyderco's current lineup, the drop point UKPK and the ClipiTool standard catch my eye. For new models, a mini Sprig would be perfect. I would also be interested in a maxi Roadie with a bit more tip.
Yeah, I use a Buck 301 or 303 for squirrels and rabbits, but I had a very slender small fixed blade too. A wide knife is in the way. Also, too long of a blade is in the way. A long slender, easy to maneuver handle is needed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 am

I thought the Spyderco Sprig was Phil's Bird & Trout.
Absolutely. It’s disco’d though. Could be he has something different in mind. Either way, I look forward to it if it’s brought to market.
Too big, I think.

The Junction might be a good choice also.
Waaaayyy too big, long, and wide. Spyderco does not really have a knife in this market.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:11 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 am

Absolutely. It’s disco’d though. Could be he has something different in mind. Either way, I look forward to it if it’s brought to market.
Too big, I think.

The Junction might be a good choice also.
Waaaayyy too big, long, and wide. Spyderco does not really have a knife in this market.

The Mule team and Junction are actually pretty small knives, Especially the Junction. About the size of a typical parring knife with a narrow and thin blade. Based on Gayle Bradley's Packer it's exactly knife you described you wanted.
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:57 pm
However, my favorite hunting is for small game or upland game hunting. Animals like cottontails, snow shoe hares, grouse, ducks, pheasant, squirrels, etc. require a smaller, more slender bladed knife to clean. Spyderco does not have anything in this market.
Such knives need to be slender because the game are small, yet they need enough slender handle you hold on to and use effectively.

Back in my hunting days I used to use a parring knife MOST of the time for small game.
Last edited by Ankerson on Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Dragonfly. Either vg10 or zdp189.

I’ll try to remember to take a pic of how I’d grip it. Thumb in the spydie hole, index finger at the tip.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

Bow river?
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Monty

Post by Monty »

I don't think Spyderco has anything on offer that I'd choose unless I was going lightweight and wanted a folder. The vintage Gerber Bird and Trout was nice, I just use a little file knife. Something in a B&T would be great, essentially a pairing knife with a little bit stouter blade. Delica for size comparison.

Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

If you’re using a little buck 303/301 blade, then pretty much all knife blades are gonna be bigger or wider.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc, I’ve dressed plenty of game like you describe and the best knife I’ve owned for the task was an old Gerber Pixie made in Portland. The Gerber Mimming is the same blade with a longer handle and I dressed a small Fallow Deer with one a while back, all except for slitting the breast bone. :cool:

Here’s a pic (not mine). Mimming on top, Pixie below.

They’re little scalpels no longer made and there definitely is a gap in the market for a true Small Game knife. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Monty wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:50 am
The vintage Gerber Bird and Trout was nice,
I had one of those too. A little too pointy at the tip for skinning but a great little knife. I snapped the blade off mine at the handle using to cut up a tire to make a horse feeder. :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Glad you brought up this subject Doc :) Because I've thought for years that Spyderco has several good options for outdoor folders and great fixed blades that can be used for field dressing game animals.

The old 2004 era Ed Scott design that we knew as the IMPALA model is one I would really like to see return in a newer/better blade steel. The original IMPALA model was available in 3 to 4 different variants>> they even had an IMPALA model with a Gut Hook and I wish I had kept the one I had.

In the fixed blade category I'm been saying for years that if they re-introduced the TEMPERANCE 1 model in LC200N in the Salt Series for an outdoor fixed blade in PE & SE both. I've used my two TEMPERANCE 1 models for outdoor uses since I got them back in 2005.

But those are just a couple of picks that I personally like. This is a most interesting discussion.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:33 pm
In the fixed blade category I'm been saying for years that if they re-introduced the TEMPERANCE 1
The Temperance certainly seems like a great knife, Joe but using it on small game might be asking a bit. :)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Don't be scared to make'm like you want.

cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:09 am
Kels73 wrote:
As I prepare for squirrel season, this question has been on my mind too. When cleaning squirrel, I prefer a stainless steel blade that is roughly 3" long and very slender. For big game, I usually use a fixed blade; however, for small game, either fixed or folding is fine.

I can make other knives work, but these are my preferred specs. I typically use a traditional Trapper with two blades. Mora also has some small fixed blades that suit me.

As for Spyderco's current lineup, the drop point UKPK and the ClipiTool standard catch my eye. For new models, a mini Sprig would be perfect. I would also be interested in a maxi Roadie with a bit more tip.
Yeah, I use a Buck 301 or 303 for squirrels and rabbits, but I had a very slender small fixed blade too. A wide knife is in the way. Also, too long of a blade is in the way. A long slender, easy to maneuver handle is needed.
Buck 301 around 40 years old ... its seen a number of birds, rabbits, and fish; and various other duties.

CG
Attachments
Buck 301.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Jess Horn (C27, C34, C38)?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:38 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:09 am
Kels73 wrote:

Buck 301 around 40 years old ... its seen a number of birds, rabbits, and fish; and various other duties.

CG
Nice long pull 301. I think that was contracted by Buck from Camillus. I don’t know of a better folder for this purpose. This sized knife, fixed or folder is what I think Spyderco should make.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Sprig, it's what I use.
Justin
THB

Post by THB »

The Centofante 3 is what you want. Slender with thin hollow ground VG10 blade. It's a laser - love mine
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I would agree that Spyderco should have a knife that falls into this niche. When the Sprig first came out I was disappointed that it wasn't truer to Phil's B&T design. Larger, longer, beefier and thicker blade. The Sprig grew on me and is now one of my favorite Spydies.

Some time ago I bought the F. Dick 1905 paring knife. An excellent "small game" knife that works VERY well in the kitchen. The blade profile is just right, thin, slicey, and a bit of heft in the handle. Very nice in the hand. The knife gets razor sharp and hold it's edge reasonably well. Great knife for the price. I've been looking for a sheath that would hold this knife nicely.

I'm a nut for B&T's here's a pic of one I recently got. A 3" blade, curly Koa, and great tooling on the sheath. If Spyderco came out with the right design, I'd buy it.
Alan Warren B&T.jpg
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Deleted duplicate :o
Last edited by Tdog on Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

What about the Mini-Paring knife, it seems like the design would work well as a bird and trout knife.