Bottom of pocket/clipless carry ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Bottom of pocket/clipless carry ?

Post by GarageBoy »

What are you favorite Spydercos for bottom of pocket carry without a clip (maybe a pouch?)

I feel like even a delica is too big for this duty - maybe a chaparral/dragonfly/lil native? (lil native compression lock looks fun, but I worry about the edge near the lockbar cut out)
Bill1170

Re: Bottom of pocket/clipless carry ?

Post by Bill1170 »

I often carry a Delica clipless in pocket. Anything longer tends to wedge sideways at the bottom and be hard to extract, but a Delica does fine.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:57 am
What are you favorite Spydercos for bottom of pocket carry without a clip (maybe a pouch?)

I feel like even a delica is too big for this duty - maybe a chaparral/dragonfly/lil native? (lil native compression lock looks fun, but I worry about the edge near the lockbar cut out)
I've edc'd a lil native comp lock since they were first released... Never cut myself or otherwise noticed that bit of edge near the lock bar cutout and I have tiny fingers. :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I find the Native 5 to be small enough for me to drop in a pocket unclipped.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Current EDC second blade the lil native compression modified.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
carrot

Post by carrot »

I think the P3LW, Delica, Chaparral, DF2 all carry really well at the bottom of the pocket. I also carry the PM2 and Para3 clipless, but usually back pocket. The Manbug Salt and Dragonfly are my favorite- I often have to double-check that I'm carrying them.

With the backlocks you have to be a little bit careful to make sure there's no pocket lint in there. But it's usually no problem. I kinda prefer the closed-back design because nothing's gonna get in there to ding the edge.

If quick access isn't a necessity, I think Bill's Urban Wallet is an excellent and practical front-pocket or back-pocket carry option. Very secure carry and keeps things from banging into each other. Great for carrying something around P3 or Endela-sized. (NSFL for non-Spydie content.)

Bill still makes each one by hand, to order. Nice guy to talk to, and perfectly happy to accept customizations.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Dragonfly
Chaparral
Delica
Manbug

3" is usually as large as I will carry clip less. I kinda hate things in my pockets so the smaller the better if it's not secured by a clip. This was everything in my pockets other than my phone.

James Y

Post by James Y »

I went through a period where I every Spyderco I carried was down in pocket. However, I always keep the clip on; it provides an leverage point for my fingers during one-hand opening.

Jim
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Manbug
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

On the rare occasions that I carry a Dragonfly I just drop it into my front pocket. Mostly because I dont feel like it is very secure when clipped onto it. Its so small and light that I can hardly tell it's even on my pocket to begin with, and then it doesnt have far to go to lift up enough to fall off. It would probably be fine, but I guess I am used to more substantial blades riding there.
attila

Post by attila »

I used to bottom-of-pocket carry my blue P.I.T.S.

I only did so because the flimsy wire clip was scratching up the titanium. When DLT offered $10 off coupon via their text notifications, I used that and points to get a RGT clip. It transformed the knife for me. I usually don't just drop it into the pocket anymore.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

The McBee.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Roadie is the only one I carry in the bottom of my pocket.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

Always carry my Urban clipless in front right hip pocket.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Native 5 LW and UKPK are couple I actually removed the clip from. Chaparral goes 50/50 between clipped and bottom of pocket.

Most knives I carry make it to the bottom of pocket at some point. Whether it is during use and I don't want to keep re-clipping them, or going to a place where I'd rather not have the knife visible.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Dragonfly and Manbug are the only knives I carry in the bottom of my pocket unclipped
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’ve been carrying mostly clipless lately. Backlocks only though. Everything else gets clipped.
Size hasn’t been much of an issue, from Dragonfly all the way up to Endura and Stretch.

I haven’t had any failed lockups from lint. Lint does collect around the lockbar/blade interface but the snap open on these knives is so strong it just compresses it. The only time blowing it out with lung power doesn’t work is after I’ve freshly oiled the pivot. Lint will wick up the oil and form a little square, compressed lint cake from being smashed between the blade and lock bar upon opening. Easy to remove with a wipe from the corner of your shirt.

All that to say, don’t worry about lint. Sand is a real b*tch though, so I do find myself washing knives more often that are pocketed.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Baby Horn is the king mack daddy of BoP.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Only a Manbug and Swiss Armies. Clips are a great invention.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Ric

Post by Ric »

All my spydies.
McBee, Dfly, Para 3 up to Mantra 3.

A clip screams KNIFE.