New Steel – Crucible S45VN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: New Steel – Crucible S45VN

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:17 pm
Hi Ugaarguy,

I can see possibly the UK. Shipping steel to Italy is always a question since there are good steels being made in Europe. So the Urban at this time is not likely. We're considering fixed blade Mule Teams. A Mule Team folder has it's challenges.

Larrin's information, as usual is great. But as Phil said, "real world testing" is in order. We really won't be able to make a decisions, other to experiment, until we know more about the steel, working with it, customer reaction, etc.

sal

Compare it to S35VN and ELMAX and see how it does overall I suppose?

At comparable hardness/HT...
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Hi Ugaarguy,

I can see possibly the UK. Shipping steel to Italy is always a question since there are good steels being made in Europe. So the Urban at this time is not likely. We're considering fixed blade Mule Teams. A Mule Team folder has it's challenges.

Larrin's information, as usual is great. But as Phil said, "real world testing" is in order. We really won't be able to make a decisions, other to experiment, until we know more about the steel, working with it, customer reaction, etc.

sal
Sal, I figured that the Urban would be a no-go since those are made in Italy, and that the Golden made UKPK might have at least a very slim chance. As always, I appreciate you taking the time to interact with us on the forum.
Baron Mind wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:28 pm
I'd definitely love to see the mules come back. I think offering them with inexpensive frn scales and a simple polymer sheath, a la Moraknivs would make them much more accessible and enticing to more buyers. The customization program was awesome, but it was a bit pricey, and for someone like me who isn't really a fixed blade guy, but loves trying new steels, it made it a bit harder to pull the trigger.
I'm also much more of a folder guy than fixed blade guy, so this would make the fixed blade mules much more appealing to me as well.
Ric wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:41 am
I would love to have that Mule.
In the usual Mule style.

As a folder which platform would be used?
Endura would make a good user...
The problem with large and/or locking folders is that it excludes many people in jurisdictions with restrictions on blade length or folders that lock open. This is why the folding mule idea that was discussed here for a while had strong arguments for the Urban and UKPK as the models to use so that the most people would have access. I think that the Native 5 lightweight, being made in Golden instead of Seki, would have a much better chance of becoming a folding mule or getting sprints with new steels made. Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see what Spyderco comes out with in this new steel.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

A US made urban would be cool
Can't wait for people to complain about how a model is offered in "only" s30v
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Excellent article, as usual Larrin - thanks!

I hope this doesn't contravene any forum rules, but I encourage anyone who doesn't already, to support Larrin's work through Patreon. Even a couple bucks per article helps to finance better testing equipment and cover costs for the outstanding work being done to advance the state of knowledge in the knife community.

Regarding S45VN - a more corrosion resistant S30V/S35VN doesn't particularly appeal to my uses. I have had some mild corrosion issues from time to time with S30V, but personally I would have been more interested to see a stainless with better edge stability in thin, fine edges at higher hardness.

I can see the benefit though in having a solid premium 'baseline' stainless steel for the industry. I'll certainly give it a try when it comes out. The UKPK would be a great platform.

It was fascinating to see the difference in carbide sizing with a 50 fahrenheit difference in austenitizing temp. All other things being equal, does smaller carbide size from a higher austenitizing temp, also result in slightly improved corrosion resistance?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:06 pm
It was fascinating to see the difference in carbide sizing with a 50 fahrenheit difference in austenitizing temp. All other things being equal, does smaller carbide size from a higher austenitizing temp, also result in slightly improved corrosion resistance?
The improvement in corrosion resistance comes from dissolving more chromium carbide, which puts more chromium “in solution” to contribute to the chromium oxide layer at the surface.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Larrin wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:06 pm
The improvement in corrosion resistance comes from dissolving more chromium carbide, which puts more chromium “in solution” to contribute to the chromium oxide layer at the surface.
Ah. Thanks Larrin.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Looks promising.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

UKPK as a folding test "mule" would be great. :)
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Hi Ugaarguy,

sal
If it is not feasible to do an Urban, I’d buy a UKPK to test for sure.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

in a size of the ukpk i would not be interested. in that size i would be buying para 3s, manix 2s, or brouwer. if it was the urban which to me has always been a bottom of pocket kinda knife i would be interested. i understand why because of laws that prevent certain countrymen from having a locking blade (dumb). slip joints for me are 2.5" and under for non clipped pocket carry as a second. once you get to 2.75" ish then it is a locking only knife for hard use that my little knife should not.
so yes for an urban but would rather have it in a lil native which is legal in many places other than non locking places.
i am not a fixed blade guy and never will be. i have the ability to take a 3" blade with me everywhere in the footprint of 4.7" if that was a fixed blade it would be almost 8" long. the pivot may be the weaker point on a folding knife but it is still extremely strong and i have yet to break one even prying with my knives.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Xineohp

Post by Xineohp »

I got the pm2 satin blade army camo scales when i saw s45vn i was suprised i expected s30vn like the seller said. Now i feel good because i know i didnt get a fake because the blade steel is uber current with spydercos new changes, pluss i can feel the quality when i use this.