List of available knife steels not yet used by Spyderco for sales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

List of available knife steels not yet used by Spyderco for sales

Post by archangel »

I hope the title is quite clear. What are knife steels that Spyderco has not yet used for knives that went into their production for sales purposes (Sal's magical pockets excluded ;) ). Let's compile one list, cause I don't think I've seen one here.

Let's try not to discuss pros and cons of any steel and all that comes with it in here - start individual threads if they don't yet exist.

"Knife steel" means any steel or metal / metal alloy available in mass production that is substantially suitable for knife making purposes. Let's not list anything that really isn't ever be used, for any particular reason (e.g. Gold ;) ). Also no need to list anything that once was used but has been replaced for good (e.g. ATS-34 etc) - look into the future. :)

If you know one that has more than one brand name, list all you know.

I have a bad memory for names, so I can start the list with just a few from recent threads (not sure, maybe some of these are already identical in composition) in post #2.
Last edited by archangel on Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Re: List of available knife steels not yet used by Spyderco for sales

Post by archangel »

Vanax +
S45VN ++
Vanadis 4 V4E
Vanadis 8
Vancron SC
Rex121
Rex54
Rex M42 (Crucible) // Micro Melt M42 (Carpenter)
Rex T15
Sleipner
15V ++
S125V
HAP72
SRS-15
S390 Microclean
M398
K490
PD1

++ indicates that it's pretty sure that steel will be introduced by Spyderco.
+ means that Sal is looking into it, maybe even testing it, but probably not yet decided if we'll get it or not.

There have been more that were already proposed by you guys, but that *I* have never heard of / seen being discussed with some intensity here in this forum. I'm not going to list these "automatically". Don't be offended please. If you suggested one that I haven't listed here, but you have a strong feeling that it should (i may just be unaware), mention them again. Also if someone else proposed them.
Last edited by archangel on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:20 am, edited 17 times in total.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The number of steels is endless...

What I'd rather know is exactly all exotic steels used for in-house creations and for friends, like the s125v military (I think 2 were made, and Dick Barber of Crucible has one?).

Edit: not trying to attempt to hijack the thread, but your request begs for a virtually endless answer.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Sm100
Nitrobe 77
Dendritic cobalt
Stellite
Talonite

Not 100 percent positive but pretty sure.
There is going to be a ton of steels and metal alloys that could be on this list. So I guess you mean the ones that would be suitable or within reason to use.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
archangel

Post by archangel »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:17 am
not trying to attempt to hijack the thread, but your request begs for a virtually endless answer.

Duly noted. How about this? Only suggest steels that have already been proposed here in this forum / that have their own thread maybe. Oh and you could add a comment that Sal chimed in and confirmed that something is in the works, or that at least he left us thinking that Spyderco is seriously considering using that steel.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:21 am
There is going to be a ton of steels and metal alloys that could be on this list. So I guess you mean the ones that would be suitable or within reason to use.

Exactly. Steels that really might have a future with Spyderco, may it be just for a sprint run or flash batch. Where Sal and his gang said they were interested / looking into it for real (but that's no must).
Last edited by archangel on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I want to see

S390
Hap72
CPM T15
O7
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:17 am
The number of steels is endless...

What I'd rather know is exactly all exotic steels used for in-house creations and for friends, like the s125v military (I think 2 were made, and Dick Barber of Crucible has one?).

Edit: not trying to attempt to hijack the thread, but your request begs for a virtually endless answer.
I thought that there were three S150V Militaries made but maybe they were S125V. Maybe Sal can clarify?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The ones I am most interested in seeing next are

Vanadis 4 Extra (V4E) - could maybe be used in Endura, Delica and other Seki models since Bohler steels are showing up in this models

Vanax for some salt models (Vanax Native Salt?)

SRS-15 (only if solid unlaminated blade) in Seki flagship models

Sleipner Micarta Shaman? :)

3V with Delta heat treat -> Delta 3V Micarta Shaman?? :D

Dream collab: Busse Infi Micarta Shaman????? :eek:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

There's been requests for 15V lately.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

archangel wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:00 am
Vanax
S45VN
Vanadis 8
Vancrom SC
Rex121
Rex M42 (Crucible) // Micro Melt M42 (Carpenter)

I'll bite on your post! :D

I'm sure liking your list here too, archangel. Some fantastic choices there!

I am about 3/4 of the way through my busiest time of the year right now. So my dabbling in knife making, is playing second fiddle at the moment. But, once things slow down some for me. I'm diving into Rex 54 next, and I am hoping that Sal is thinking about it as well.

Spyderco uses Rex 45 now, and I love it! And, I'm going crazy for a Manix 2 with it.
I have made a couple of knives in M42 already, and really love it as well.
I have Maxamet and Rex 121 knives now, and to be honest. Those are some pretty extreme steels, and do have their disadvantages in working with them.

So to my line of thinking, and after having given the steel composition charts a long hard look this Summer (I have about a dozen printed out, and posted on my office walls:). For me here next, and considering that Spyderco already does Rex 45. The next logical step, in my mind. For Spyderco and myself. Is Rex 54. It being locally sourced is nice too, and that has its own advantages. Unlike the choices of Vanax, Vanadis 8, and Vancron SC (You spelled 'Vancron' wrong;)

So what do others in this thread, think of this choice? I know that personally. I am going to put my time, money, and effort into it.
Last edited by SteveMidwest on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
archangel

Post by archangel »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:35 am
I want to see

S390
Hap72
CPM T15
O7

Except for Hap72, were any of them discussed in the forum? I don't remember these names. Also true for VooDooChild's proposals.
Michael
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:35 am
I want to see

S390
Hap72
CPM T15
O7

CPM Rex T15, S390 Microclean, and HAP 72. Are definitely on my shortlist as well, bearfacedkiller! ;)
Fantastic choices.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

[/quote]
Except for Hap72, were any of them discussed in the forum? I don't remember these names. Also true for VooDooChild's proposals.
[/quote]

My last 3 listed are all just some different sort of cobalt alloy. I mentioned dendritic cobalt because its what boye knives uses, and spyderco uses the boye dent.

There has been atleast 1 thread on sm100 and one on nitrobe 77 on this forum. Both were very short. Sm100 is just a different version of nitinol so at this point its outclassed by alot of these other suggestions, and arguably wouldnt have been good.
I think nitrobe 77 stopped getting talked about because it was no longer being produced at the time. But it is being produced now by damasteel. I think it was even developed specifically for knives and then...? It either got forgotten about or maybe theres some other good reasons it didnt take off. Or maybe it just cost too much. I dont know.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see the Des Horn sprinted in Nitrobe 77.

And the LionSpy in Sleipner.

It would be cool to run models in steels that have a connection to the collaborators.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

YSS Hap 5r
YXR7
YSS HAP 72

Looking back over the YSS catalog I'm once again impressed Spyderco ran the Hap 40 high speed steel. It's still one of my favorite Enduras and therefore one of my most carried knives. It remains good stuff. Spyderco has been very good to us!

Joe
archangel

Post by archangel »

From the recent thread it's pretty safe to say that S45VN will be introduced in production. So I marked it ++ which means it's gonna come. :)

+ means that Sal confirmed that Spyderco is testing the steel, or at least seriously looking into it.

Where to put ++ and +?
Michael
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Böhler - Uddeholm M398 ☝️😎
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

S390
Zwear
Zfinite
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

archangel wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:40 am
From the recent thread it's pretty safe to say that S45VN will be introduced in production. So I marked it ++ which means it's gonna come. :)

+ means that Sal confirmed that Spyderco is testing the steel, or at least seriously looking into it.

Where to put ++ and +?

You can mark 15V as being in-house, in Golden, and being tested at the moment. Sal mentioned this, in a thread titled
Sal, Can we get CPM 15v? :)