Upland game/Small game knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Upland game/Small game knife

Post by Doc Dan »

Spyderco has done a great job on knives for deer and larger game. Knives like the Stretch, Moran, Wilson, etc. are at the top of their class. However, my favorite hunting is for small game or upland game hunting. Animals like cottontails, snow shoe hares, grouse, ducks, pheasant, squirrels, etc. require a smaller, more slender bladed knife to clean. Spyderco does not have anything in this market.

I have several knives, like Stockmans, slender fixed blades, and etc. that I used to use. I wish Spyderco would look into this.

Such knives need to be slender because the game are small, yet they need enough slender handle you hold on to and use effectively.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Post by Sumdumguy »

A mini Sprig. ~3"? Thinned out more than it already is.

That's what comes to my mind.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The Polestar has been working just fine for all small game for me. We must have different styles of cleaning. It'd be interesting to see a Spyder hole on a slender blade like a Stockman. It might end up a lot like the Ikuchi.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I love a good bird and trout pattern.

I think Phil Wilson mentioned a bird and trout knife in the S45VN thread. Could be a model to work toward?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc, I am not a hunter at all, but isn't the UKPK drop point version very much like a scaled down Stretch (though its blade might be to wide for what you're looking for)?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 am
I think Phil Wilson mentioned a bird and trout knife in the S45VN thread. Could be a model to work toward?
I thought the Spyderco Sprig was Phil's Bird & Trout.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Wartstein, I won’t speak for Doc but in my opinion, for the application he has in mind, a fixed blade is more appropriate.
Tims

Post by Tims »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 am
Tims wrote:
Absolutely. It’s disco’d though. Could be he has something different in mind. Either way, I look forward to it if it’s brought to market.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:45 am
Wartstein, I won’t speak for Doc but in my opinion, for the application he has in mind, a fixed blade is more appropriate.

I think so too, as far as I can estimate that not being a hunter myself!
But since Doc himself mentioned the Stretch as being for him a "top of the class" game knife, I thought the UKPK droppoint version could be a valid smaller option for him (though non locking...). Looks a lot like a Lil´Stretch ;)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:00 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:45 am

I think so too, as far as I can estimate that not being a hunter myself!
But since Doc himself mentioned the Stretch as being for him a "top of the class" game knife, I thought the UKPK droppoint version could be a valid smaller option for him (though non locking...). Looks a lot like a Lil´Stretch ;)
My mistake, I missed the Stretch part of his post. :)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

How about a ARK
Got a nice little skinning profile blade.

Might be a bit small but just a thought
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I have been fishing since 5, small game hunting since grade 1, and big game hunting for around 3 decades. I am near 60 and have found (generally speaking) that I could clean anything with anything as long as it has a sharp edge.

A favorite of mine was a ceramic blade boker about 2" in length that was surgical sharp (like I've performed surgeries before, but you get the picture). It was amazing at taking full skins from pheasants...

I think a Chaparral with any handle material, CTS-XHP, and thin blade would be a good candidate. Folders don't clean as easily as fixed blades but that really isn't a problem.

CG
Attachments
IMG_1244.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I were still into hunting I'd probably carry a Street Beat. It would be great for skinning and VG10 should be fine as long as you aren't field dressing deer and larger game.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:57 pm
Spyderco has done a great job on knives for deer and larger game. Knives like the Stretch, Moran, Wilson, etc. are at the top of their class. However, my favorite hunting is for small game or upland game hunting. Animals like cottontails, snow shoe hares, grouse, ducks, pheasant, squirrels, etc. require a smaller, more slender bladed knife to clean. Spyderco does not have anything in this market.

I have several knives, like Stockmans, slender fixed blades, and etc. that I used to use. I wish Spyderco would look into this.

Such knives need to be slender because the game are small, yet they need enough slender handle you hold on to and use effectively.

The Mule Team would be a good option.

Pick your steel.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

As I prepare for squirrel season, this question has been on my mind too. When cleaning squirrel, I prefer a stainless steel blade that is roughly 3" long and very slender. For big game, I usually use a fixed blade; however, for small game, either fixed or folding is fine.

I can make other knives work, but these are my preferred specs. I typically use a traditional Trapper with two blades. Mora also has some small fixed blades that suit me.

As for Spyderco's current lineup, the drop point UKPK and the ClipiTool standard catch my eye. For new models, a mini Sprig would be perfect. I would also be interested in a maxi Roadie with a bit more tip.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Tims wrote:
I love a good bird and trout pattern.

That’s a good start. I’d love to see what he comes up with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:24 am
Doc, I am not a hunter at all, but isn't the UKPK drop point version very much like a scaled down Stretch (though its blade might be to wide for what you're looking for)?
Too wide.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Tims wrote:
Absolutely. It’s disco’d though. Could be he has something different in mind. Either way, I look forward to it if it’s brought to market.
Too big, I think.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Tims wrote:
Too big, I think.

The Junction might be a good choice also.