Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

rothnroll wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:50 am
As the hype on this fades, I'm already starting to hear again the usual Shaman complaints/justifications for not buying one....

1) the nub hits my finger
2) it's too expensive for what it is
3) there's not enough flash or it's too workmanlike
4) it's too big/heavy

it's certainly possible that a chunk of demand was FOMO, and therefore I expect to see a number of these trickle out into the secondary market within the next month.
I bought one, but the color of the natural Micarta looks like a Old Lady's Bra.
and at least that's a complaint that's new! ;)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
rivy

Post by rivy »

I too am very impressed with DLT as of late. This shaman lottery and the para3 lw release - all very well done. Not to mention the freebies I got from them in the past are some of my most used freebies as opposed to the throw aways that other companies send- I got DLT bandaids and micro-fiber cloths :D

Only con is that they're charging sales tax in my state now... I'm sure everyone will eventually be doing it but some of the others have held out still.
blues

Post by blues »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:02 am
rothnroll wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:50 am
As the hype on this fades, I'm already starting to hear again the usual Shaman complaints/justifications for not buying one....

1) the nub hits my finger
2) it's too expensive for what it is
3) there's not enough flash or it's too workmanlike
4) it's too big/heavy

it's certainly possible that a chunk of demand was FOMO, and therefore I expect to see a number of these trickle out into the secondary market within the next month.
I bought one, but the color of the natural Micarta looks like a Old Lady's Bra.

and at least that's a complaint that's new! ;)[/quote]

"Mind your business, sonny! That's what me and my crew wear"
- Retired from the chase -
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Lolz
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Just got mine in from Knifeworks!

-Nick :bug-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well. What a rollercoaster. I anticipated and waited for this. Then I looked the other way when the 4V model came along, because my budget couldn't tolerate two Shaman purchases back to back. Then it seemed impossible that I would ever get one. I wrote the whole thing off, spent the money on something else entirely. I cried bitter tears and even whined a bit -- but decided to move on.

But here I am with a Cruwear/Micarta Shaman laying next to me on the desk.

I think that I really have to thank Spyderco. They seemed to dribble these out in small quantities spread over several weeks. I don't know if this was intentional, but if so, I think it was clever because it gave everyone who wanted one many chances -- and here I am as happy as a clam.

Seems like a great knife too. The Shaman has definitely become my favorite Spyderco -- well except for the Ankerson Bowie.

I very much like the color and the feel of the Micarta in hand -- it exceeds my expectations in every way.
VA.koi guy

Post by VA.koi guy »

Happy for those that scored this Crucarta Sprint no matter how you got one. Can we move forward with the Exclusive's in Green and Blue micarta now?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really hope they do a 4V/micarta version too without DLC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

12 on the bay right now. Most sub $400. Looks like the price is working down - maybe supply, maybe the craze is backing off a degree or two.

Is there anyone out there that got this knife ... and didn't like it???

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:06 am

+1!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:04 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:06 am

+1!
+2, although I don't care whether it's DLC or not.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Naked 4V Micarta, indeed.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

There are still some of us that have not had the luck in acquiring the Shaman Sprint. Some of us not ready to move forward.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:59 pm
I think that I really have to thank Spyderco. They seemed to dribble these out in small quantities spread over several weeks. I don't know if this was intentional, but if so, I think it was clever because it gave everyone who wanted one many chances -- and here I am as happy as a clam.
IIRC, the Caly 3 HAP40 sprint was dribbled out a little at a time too. Could be wrong but I think I remember Sal saying they were releasing them in batches as they made it through QC in Golden. Anyway, glad you were able to get one and I hope others keep looking and find one as well.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VA.koi guy

Post by VA.koi guy »

camvdcs wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:07 pm
There are still some of us that have not had the luck in acquiring the Shaman Sprint. Some of us not ready to move forward.
By all means, don't give up!!!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:20 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:59 pm
IIRC, the Caly 3 HAP40 sprint was dribbled out a little at a time too. Could be wrong but I think I remember Sal saying they were releasing them in batches as they made it through QC in Golden. Anyway, glad you were able to get one and I hope others keep looking and find one as well.
I always assumed that sprints came out slow and the exclusives are all at once. You’re right About the hap40 caly. The super blue caly jr was the same way. Couldn’t find them at first but after a while, retailers had plenty.
Not all are like this. Hopefully, there will be more.
Edit: it doesn’t give me a good feeling when retailers like rivers edge say they got all they will get and they are all gone.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

So should I just give up trying to get a couple of these?

Honestly the crazy hunt for these sprints is becoming tiring. Why doesn’t Spyderco and these random exclusive dealers just make enough for everyone? Or at least make SOME more?

It’s getting incredibly frustrating and tiring to learn of a new great knife, only to have to stress and battle to get it. I remember way back in 2010 that sprints were a fun thing. Something to look forward to.

Now it’s just basically stressful and not fun. I want a couple of these. I have the money ready. Yet they’re just impossible to get.
BLM

Post by BLM »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Honestly the crazy hunt for these sprints is becoming tiring. Why doesn’t Spyderco and these random exclusive dealers just make enough for everyone? Or at least make SOME more?

It’s getting incredibly frustrating and tiring to learn of a new great knife, only to have to stress and battle to get it. I remember way back in 2010 that sprints were a fun thing. Something to look forward to.

Now it’s just basically stressful and not fun. I want a couple of these. I have the money ready. Yet they’re just impossible to get.
A couple yes some guys can’t even get one trying for two seems a bit far fetched
I said heck with it and ordered from bbs sure it was retail but meh I got ONE the shaman to me is the best Spyderco made so I was willing to pay retail
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just got home and checked mine out, it's a nice knife. Love the micarta and the contouring.

As for the design, it's nice, but I don't see it competing with my Caribbean. The clip makes a bit of a hot spot in my palm also. I'll kick it around a little and decide whether or not it goes in the trade fodder pile.

The Caribbean remains in the pocket, it's feels like a much more fleshed out design. The Shaman needs a bit of work, maybe we will see a Shaman 2.

I may give a more detailed review/comparison in the future.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Don’t know any more than you but I would say don’t give up yet. sounds like some are still coming out. Be patient. If you get one, treasure it.