Interest for Cruwear Micarta Manix Backlock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If a Cruwear Micarta Manix Backlock dropped on us out of nowhere, would you buy it?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 41

T_MAC686

Re: Interest for Cruwear Micarta Manix Backlock?

Post by T_MAC686 »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:18 am
I have a manix backlock, and it's a good strong knife, although I think the scales are a bit too big and blocky. If they could be contoured like on the shaman, it'd be a great knife. With cruwear and contoured micarta scales, it'd be an excellent knife.

I don’t have the Manix backlock but I would be all over this model if it had these materials and contoured scales like you said!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Would I buy it? I just might -- but it depends on what else might be dropping around the same time. A guy has to pick and choose, at least I do.

I thought the Manix Backlock was the greatest Spyderco knife ever -- until the Shaman came along. I rather liked the big blocky scales and having this big brick of a knife in my hands. The thick blade stock was another big plus for me (just like the Shaman). I wouldn't complain if they did or didn't contour the scales, either way makes me happy.

It was indeed a mystery to me that the Manix backlock didn't do well, but I admit when I first heard about it, I was totally skeptical, so maybe I can understand.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I dont want to offend someone, but I find it really strange that someone is/was complaining about blocky G10 handle.....in a knife like Manix 2 backlock with some thickk G10 scales. You can add so much contouring that´s not even funny with basic round file and some sandpaper - and because there are no liners you dont have to worried about damaging them. I contoured my Native Chief and it went from very good knife to excellent knife.

I miss original C95 Manix, it was back in a days that I did not care for knives and I don´t know that Spyderco even exist.
But, It would be cool to have something like a flash batch of original C95 with some minor changes - thinner blade stock, different pocket clip postition (more towards the end of scales), that would be cool as ..... :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 pm
I dont want to offend someone, but I find it really strange that someone is/was complaining about blocky G10 handle.....in a knife like Manix 2 backlock with some thickk G10 scales. You can add so much contouring that´s not even funny with basic round file and some sandpaper - and because there are no liners you dont have to worried about damaging them. I contoured my Native Chief and it went from very good knife to excellent knife.

I miss original C95 Manix, it was back in a days that I did not care for knives and I don´t know that Spyderco even exist.
But, It would be cool to have something like a flash batch of original C95 with some minor changes - thinner blade stock, different pocket clip postition (more towards the end of scales), that would be cool as ..... :D

I'm with you on a throwback C95 Manix flash batch and have suggested this numerous times myself. But i'd keep the original specs down to the dino jimping, and just change the scales to Micarta and the steel to Cruwear.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:18 pm
I'm with you on a throwback C95 Manix flash batch and have suggested this numerous times myself. But i'd keep the original specs down to the dino jimping, and just change the scales to Micarta and the steel to Cruwear.
A bit of thinner blade stock, even 3,7 mm is better then 4 mm.......or 3,5-3,2 mm would be more then enough.
But yeah, this would an awesome throwback model.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
elena86

Post by elena86 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:15 pm
S110v is much better as a mass production steel. It's an obvious upgrade to s30v, with no real downside noticeable to an average user. Tool steels have a downside (corrosion) that is readily apparent to an average user, who may not understand how to deal with it (by caring for the steel properly).

S90V would be an even better upgrade than S110V IMO... easier to sharpen, tougher, less chippy , you name it ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Of course I said yes. I’m up fir any Manix 2 backlock. I love this knife. An XL and a LW would be awesome too. In the LW I’d like a Salt and a BD1N model. On the others I think K390 and M390 would be just great.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Humint

Post by Humint »

A Manix backlock with Cruwear and Micarta would be my absolute dream knife. I bought the Manix 2 backlock when it came out and it was such a phenomenal knife. I lost it during work after it was discontinued and if never has resurfaced (saddest knife parting I have ever had). I only carry Spyderco Backlocks now. In fact I am carrying my brand-new (just received today) Spyderco Endela and its amazing. Spyderco makes the best modern day backlocks ever and I absolutely love when the bring out new backlock models.

I really hope a Cruwear and Micarta backlock will be made some day
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Yes, I would be interested. In my opinion, the Manix backlock is a tough knife, and the Cruwear/Micarta combination compliments that theme perfectly.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'm of a mixed mind on this one. A few thoughts:

1. We do not know if Golden can/will successfully implement linerless micarta. I love the linerless G10 and FRN Golden-built knives i have, but i am uncertain about the unlined micarta construction. The only unlined micarta folding knife i have handled was a Buck 110 pro, of which i honestly didn't love the feel.

2. I would be inclined to say yeah just do a throwback C95 with micarta and a 3.2mm bladestock-- BUT, my hesitation-- 6.1 oz/ 174g is a lot of weight for a folder for me.

3. If it is Spyderco, Cruwear, Micarta, and has a backlock i am pretty darn likely to buy (if i can get my hands on one)!

4. I would rather see a Stretch 2 in Crucarta, but i would buy a Manix.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:18 pm

1. We do not know if Golden can/will successfully implement linerless micarta. I love the linerless G10 and FRN Golden-built knives i have, but i am uncertain about the unlined micarta construction. The only unlined micarta folding knife i have handled was a Buck 110 pro, of which i honestly didn't love the feel.

2. I would be inclined to say yeah just do a throwback C95 with micarta and a 3.2mm bladestock-- BUT, my hesitation-- 6.1 oz/ 174g is a lot of weight for a folder for me.

3. If it is Spyderco, Cruwear, Micarta, and has a backlock i am pretty darn likely to buy (if i can get my hands on one)!

4. I would rather see a Stretch 2 in Crucarta, but i would buy a Manix.

1. Yeah, I totally forgot it was linerless as I have never owned a Manix Backlock. With scales that thick though Micarta might work ok. Or they could go all in by bringing it as a full production model, adding skeletonized liners through CQI and using Micarta on all of the versions if it is successful enough to warrant something like a Denim/K390 follow up.

2. Please, please, please do this Sal and team. A Cru-carta C95 throwback flash batch would be amazing.

3. Agreed!

4. I'm not into the Stretch, but a dealer exclusive family of the Seki flagship knives in Cruwear Micarta is sure to be a massive success!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:40 pm
Enactive wrote:
...a dealer exclusive family of the Seki flagship knives in Cruwear Micarta is sure to be a massive success!
PLEEEEASE!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Enactive wrote:

1. I dont think that linerless micarta could happened. Sal mentioned that micarta more or less need liners, because it can shrink and stretch a little depend on humidity.

2. Changing the stock from original 4 mm to 3,2 mm would help a lot. Also if Spyderco sceletonized liners that could shave some weight too.

Throwback C95 flash batch would be awesome - with thinner stock it would a trully king of a big lockbacks.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Yeah, I don't think micarta is anywhere near as dimensionally stable as G10.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

They could probably texture the G10 to mimic the micarta. I’d prefer the G10.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:27 pm

Yeah, I don't think micarta is anywhere near as dimensionally stable as G10.

They could possibly do a Micarta/G10 Laminate to give it more dimensional stability. Or just give it some skeletonized liners as a CQI and bring it back to full production as a Micarta scaled model with Cruwear blade. Kind of the opposite of the liner delete + S35VN to S30V CQI on the Native.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'd love to see a skinny version of the Manix2 blacklock, rather than thicker like it was. Been hoping the same about a skinny PM2 Backlock. Either way, I'm not sure Micarta would be strong enough without liners.

Mine's been living in my garage for a while now and I keep meaning to sand some contouring into it.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:20 am
Either way, I'm not sure Micarta would be strong enough without liners.
It´s not about strenght, it´s more about dimensional stability. Micarta could shift a bit, Sal himself mentioned that if you made linerlock with only one liner in Taiwan (humid place) and you ship it to Golden (dry place), micarta could shift that much that liner lock would not engage the tang of the knife.

I dont know what magic is done in Golden when they can make comp lock Shaman in micarta, but I think that two liners help a bit.

Either way, bring the XL backlock!!!