Emphasis

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

Re: Emphasis

Post by JacksonKnives »

araneae wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:46 pm
I spoke with Eric at Blade about the Chinese D2 prevalent these days in imported knives. Most of it isn't true D2, but the Chinese equivalent (Cr12MoV, I think). Eric says the Chinese D2 steel they've looked at isn't very clean/consistent, and he'd currently rather stay with 8Cr for predictable quality. I'm with Vivi, 8Cr isn't that bad.
I'm very happy to hear this. D2 is fine for many uses, but so is 8Cr.

I'd love to see this design in a different lock, but as far as liner locks go, this one is at least easy to disengage without sacrificing too much security.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Oh my goodness! Still no Emphasis to be found. :rolleyes:
Isn't this week, the end of the Reveal 2 period?
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I am also waiting for the emphasis to come out.
The itch to buy a new knife has bin very hard to neglect to last few days.
And since the funding isnt as big as i would want i really need the emphasis to come out.
I wish it would be on my dealers site before the end of my vacation...
on the other hand spyderco is never bin fast... i had to wait for almost 2 years before i got my nirvana and that one was preordered... :p
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

What are the chances, that the Emphasis comes out, on National Knife Day, tomorrow? :D
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Has anyone heard any rumors or news on the release of the Emphasis?
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:37 pm

No, I have not, and I've had my ear as close to the ground on this one, as anyone.
I suspect there were issues of some sort. Possibly with some early pieces sent over for review. Or, Possibly. The turmoil over in Hong Kong is preventing or delaying shipments. This only comes to mind, because I know shipments have been interrupted from that area, on goods we have heading this way. And, I can't think of any other China built Spyderco models, that have shipped recently.

Rest assured, that when it arrives. I will be posting about it here. Maybe, we can get Sal to chime in about it now? Since it is so late.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:52 pm
Enactive wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:37 pm

No, I have not, and I've had my ear as close to the ground on this one, as anyone.
I suspect there were issues of some sort. Possibly with some early pieces sent over for review. Or, Possibly. The turmoil over in Hong Kong is preventing or delaying shipments. This only comes to mind, because I know shipments have been interrupted from that area, on goods we have heading this way. And, I can't think of any other China built Spyderco models, that have shipped recently.

Rest assured, that when it arrives. I will be posting about it here. Maybe, we can get Sal to chime in about it now? Since it is so late.
Thanks Steve. I had a similar suspicion-- more about the trade war than Hong Kong demonstrations tho. I still enjoy my Efficient, even tho it is one of my budget Spydies. I had been hoping for a longer version of the Efficient before the Emphasis was revealed. Gotta love the Eric Glesser/ Ed Schempp design team!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Whoa! I don’t know how I missed/overlooked this one... I have a feeling this will be my next purchase whenever it becomes available. Looks outstanding to me in almost every way!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

The Spyderco Emphasis is available now! In both plain edge (C245GP), and partially serrated (C245GPS). Of course you already know this, if you are subscribed to the Spyderco Byte Newsletter. :D

Stock is at many of your favorite Dealers now. Some, are even sold out of the plain edge version already! I have been eagerly waiting for this knife. Ever since I saw pictures, and video of it. Coming from the 15th annual Amsterdam Meet.

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I would also like to poke just a little bit of fun, at Spyderco. Of a picture taken for the newsletter. Of this knife, and a couple of others, in the pocket. Do you notice, what made me smile? :D

Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:50 pm
I would also like to poke just a little bit of fun, at Spyderco. Of a picture taken for the newsletter. Of this knife, and a couple of others, in the pocket. Do you notice, what made me smile? :D

The Emphasis isn’t pushed all the way into the pocket?
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Yes, that's it Ez556. :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I noticed that too! Although in her defense she might have reached the depth of her pocket. Women's jeans have tiny pockets compared to men's jeans.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tims

Post by Tims »

I don’t think I can bring myself to pull the trigger on this one. 5oz and 8cr :(

What a wonderful design though. I’ll be keeping an eye on reviews, maybe some fancy photos will wear me down :rolleyes:
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:01 pm
I noticed that too! Although in her defense she might have reached the depth of her pocket. Women's jeans have tiny pockets compared to men's jeans.

I'm sure you're probably right. I didn't think of that. This is the biggest knife, in this group shot.

I also didn't know, just how deep my men's jeans pockets are. So I pushed a tape measure down in them, just now.
Most are at least 7" deep, and another of my favorite pair, is 10" deep. That sure was a surprise!
Plenty enough, for this 4.81" closed knife. :D
Which just happens to be my EDC knife of choice, today!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I just ordered one from National Knives! They have 4 left if anyone wants one.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Curious to hear any first reports on the Emphasis. I am interested and had been planning to get one eventually.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Mine just showed up and my initial reaction out of the box is I’m really impressed with it, especially for the price point. I’m too tired to really inspect it well or take photos at the moment but I will in a few days. I’m going to carry it to work tomorrow and see how it goes.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

C40E508A-170B-4C0D-82CB-DC7CCB89D4E0.jpeg
I am really enjoying the Emphasis so far. I have been carrying it everyday since it showed up. This is my first Chinese Spyderco (as far as I remember) and I’m actually really impressed with the fit and finish for the $50 price point.

The looks and ergonomics of the knife are great. I know people were afraid of the weight but you can’t even notice once it’s clipped to your pocket.

The only negative thing I can say is I wish that Ed Schempp and Eric got credit for this great design. Their names at least should have showed up in the paperwork.

Great job with this one, Spyderco.