Any plans for a standard-sized Compression Lock Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rabbitanarchy14

Re: Any plans for a standard-sized Compression Lock Native?

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:25 am
Ha. Maybe this is just a semantics issue. What if they made a native 5 with a compression lock and just called it the lil shaman? Then would everyone be happy?
I am ok with that.
A lil shaman 3"
I would add a lil manix 3" please
More smaller cbbl locks please.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

I love compression locks and would buy one for sure.

The sage 5 is pretty much the same knife though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:53 am
aaronkb, I we already chatted about backlocks via pm... ;)

I just wanted to second Sharp Guys thoughts: The backlock of the Native 5 really is the best (backlock) I personally ever experienced (together with the one on the Chap LW). Sold my Native 5 LW for other reasons, but certainly miss that refined, solid, no-bladeplay-whatsoever-lock.

Don´t get me wrong, I am sure you have a lot experience with folders, but maybe (just guessing!) did not really extensively use and operate Spyderco lockback knives?
I admit, I am totally biased (love their backlocks), but I almost can´t imagine that one literally keeps HATING them once you got used to them (though it my very well be that you´d still prefer other locktypes)... It most likely takes a longer learning curve (so I think a person new to both comp.lock and backlock will find the former easier to operate at first), but if you practice a bit, backlocks offer some advantages: Safer in the pocket (bias towards closing), totally ambidextrous, more SAFE ways to close one handed (concerning either "safety of the fingers" or risk of dropping the knife) - and that in no way slower than a comp.lock, very sturdy construction due to the closed back with a lot of steel there (so perfeect for linerless folders),(for me) easier to operate with gloves or cold fingers.
Was hoping you’d pop up here!
😜

My first spydie was actually a Delica, believe it or not... I still have it but it gets next to no pocket time for a few reasons, including the lock.

With ya on safety in the pocket for sure... I can close a backlock pretty reliably but I can’t imagine how it’s safer to close, given that your fingers start out in the blade path and also given the way it snaps shut. ****, I’ve nearly nicked myself OPENING one and another user in this thread mentioned cutting himself that way multiple times!

Backlocks will always be the classic but I feel multiple other options are much safer and more user-friendly these days...

A backlock IS safer to close imho, exactly BECAUSE of that spring that causes the blade to "snap shut". Cause what this design does too: It allows the blade to stay in the OPEN position half way, so you can move your fingers out of the way and than just close the knife by a gentle touch on the spine (the spring will pull the blade in the shut position). Look at that vid
https://streamable.com/myzlt
where I show just one method doing so, at first very slow, than two times in normal speed. (For more on this search for the forum member "Vivi" and look at the vids linked in his signature)

Sure you can do this with a comp. lock too, BUT: The blade will NOT stay stable "half shut" but flop around and possibly fall shut on your fingers. So: This and similar methods are safer with a backlock I´d say

Now: Of course there is an easy and very safe way to close a comp.lock one handed: Most people use this method I guess: Just pinching the handle, index finger on the lock tab, thumb on the handle, an "swing" the blade shut.
Firstly: Sure that´s a good method, but in my eyes not the best suited for "rough"conditions": If you use this method with cold, wet fingers, maybe have to do it under stress (imaging while rock climbing for example), it is rather easy to drop the knife due to the rather small lock tab and the "pinch grip".
Secondly: You can do just about the same with a lockback, see THIS vid (fingers never in the blade path)
https://streamable.com/j7fjd

And just cause I happen to have the vid already: One more very safe method to close a backlock in the following vid:
https://streamable.com/bhhzs

Concerning fidget factor: Just for me pesonally it is even more fun and satisfying to "fidget" with my backlocks than with any other, now that I can do so (for example to flick my backlocks with each single finger (pinky in a reverse grip). But of course that´s just me (and has no practical value at all... :o )

EDIT: To members who´ve followed the quite recent backlock discussions: aaronbk is a rather very new member, and has asked several times for input concerning this lock. So I think it is appropriate to reply here)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:32 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:25 am
Ha. Maybe this is just a semantics issue. What if they made a native 5 with a compression lock and just called it the lil shaman? Then would everyone be happy?
I am ok with that.
A lil shaman 3"
I would add a lil manix 3" please
More smaller cbbl locks please.
I'll allow more cbbl of any size. But I can't get behind converting good knives into compression lock knives.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:42 am
Sure you can do this with a comp. lock too, BUT: The blade will NOT stay stable "half shut" but flop around and possibly fall shut on your fingers.
But with a compression lock, your fingers should never be in the blade path. And you also have the option of closing it with 2 hands to prevent it from free-falling closed. A backlock will always try to pull itself shut no matter how you close it. You can't prevent it. I think both are completely safe to operate and I've never cut myself with any locking system. If I had to give some kind of rank, I think I'd pick the compression.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:42 am
Sure you can do this with a comp. lock too, BUT: The blade will NOT stay stable "half shut" but flop around and possibly fall shut on your fingers.
But with a compression lock, your fingers should never be in the blade path. And you also have the option of closing it with 2 hands to prevent it from free-falling closed. A backlock will always try to pull itself shut no matter how you close it. You can't prevent it. I think both are completely safe to operate and I've never cut myself with any locking system. If I had to give some kind of rank, I think I'd pick the compression.
I agree, both are completely safe in operation (as far as anything can be "completely" in a world were human errrors occur.. ;) )

I think, if you´re experienced, you CAN close a comp.lock in ONE way you´d do with a backlock. Disengage the lock, and guide the blade with the finger in the opening hole all time and all the way till it is shut, moving your fingers out of the way when the blade is about half way shut. But to do so is more convinient and probably "safer" with a backlock.

Imho the comp.lock has the advantage, that even "beginners" find it very easy to use the main method of "pinching" the lock tab and the handle and "shake" the blade to closed. The rather similar method with a backlock (I show it in one of my vids above, and Vivi did so before me in one of his) is probably a bit harder and takes a learning curve.
As said, the only minor "safety" issue with this "pinch" - method is the slightly higher risk of dropping the knife. But I think that´s really not an issue in any "normal" scenario.

Again, I am glad that Spyderco offers knives and locks for everyones preferences !! :) As always, my only concern is to debunk the myth that backlocks are REALLY awkward, slow and unsafe to operate, NOT that everybody should prefer this lock type, just cause I do.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)