Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Leader2light

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Leader2light »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:19 pm
Leader2light wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:14 pm
http://www.bentoboxshop.com/images/PE_B ... Shaman.jpg

Bento still has them for $320. Ship Nov 1st. I guess most people don't like overpaying by around $100 as they sure are not selling out in seconds as other places did.

What's sad is that price will eventually be a deal vs secondary market prices.
I have already seen some sell on eBay for $400.

If more Shaman versions keep coming out and are similar, I don't think the price will go much higher. May even drop.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:19 pm
Leader2light wrote:

Bento still has them for $320. Ship Nov 1st. I guess most people don't like overpaying by around $100 as they sure are not selling out in seconds as other places did.

What's sad is that price will eventually be a deal vs secondary market prices.
Already is compared to the 8 of them selling on the bay.

My last 7 knife purchases have been with Bento. We need more like them. Nice to go to a place and find a bunch of interesting knives for sale vs going to the dozen places that sell out in a second and don't have the interesting and unique knives for sale anymore.

Would love to see 2 or 3 more like Bento if not more. Just think 10 places with a bunch of unique and interesting exclusive and sprint knives for sale. My wallet would never keep up. On second thought, a bad idea!!! We need more places that sell out in a second, it keeps my money in my pocket.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Leader2light wrote:

BBS doesn't still have them. They had them and they sold out even with their higher asking price. Apparently, they're expecting to receive another shipment in time to ship Nov. 1st. My guess is they'll have no problem selling those despite selling them at higher price than most of the mainstream dealers.

Pretty sure some of the other dealers will be receiving additional shipments. Might even be the reason some dealers haven't put any up for sale yet. They might be waiting until they have all their inventory to sell & ship all at once
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:55 pm
Leader2light wrote:

BBS doesn't still have them. They had them and they sold out even with their higher asking price. Apparently, they're expecting to receive another shipment in time to ship Nov. 1st. My guess is they'll have no problem selling those despite selling them at higher price than most of the mainstream dealers.

Pretty sure some of the other dealers will be receiving additional shipments. Might even be the reason some dealers haven't put any up for sale yet. They might be waiting until they have all their inventory to sell & ship all at once
I hope bladeHQ got a large shipment, or I probably won't have time to even place my order there either.
Fynnister

Post by Fynnister »

All of the ringing of hands, my whining about how I never catch a break, and general *****ing and moaning paid off ;)

Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Hey everyone it's been a long time,

Having watched all the hype from a distance I think it is time to commentate. I remember early on in my forum days I was ecstatic about my
DLC Shaman, but at the time the model was not "well received". For pretty much the reasons people stated here: "the some of it's parts vs the cost". I personally found the knife comfortable, robust and well executed. There was something "magical" about the Shaman, and I was surprised others didn't see what I felt.

Fast forward to today, and the model is making WAVES in the community. With already a few exclusives released, and sold... It is no wonder that this Sprint Run is literally, flying off the shelves in seconds. Some people are a little sore about the "Scarcity" of this sprint run, but that is the nature of the beast. This crazy demand will just fuel future collaborations, and combinations that we will all equally get excited about.

Because trust me... the regular joe does not care about "CRUWEAR / Micarta", we do because we are nerds and I will also say. I never would deliberately overpay for a blade... but given what this beast of a masterpiece truly is. The BBS price may actually be worth it because if you haven't preordered than good luck! Long live the Shaman, and future Sprint Runs / Exclusives.

Lastly, thank you Spyderco for all your hardwork and your close connection with the knife community.
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:31 pm
Hey everyone it's been a long time,

Having watched all the hype from a distance I think it is time to commentate. I remember early on in my forum days I was ecstatic about my
DLC Shaman, but at the time the model was not "well received". For pretty much the reasons people stated here: "the some of it's parts vs the cost". I personally found the knife comfortable, robust and well executed. There was something "magical" about the Shaman, and I was surprised others didn't see what I felt.

Fast forward to today, and the model is making WAVES in the community. With already a few exclusives released, and sold... It is no wonder that this Sprint Run is literally, flying off the shelves in seconds. Some people are a little sore about the "Scarcity" of this sprint run, but that is the nature of the beast. This crazy demand will just fuel future collaborations, and combinations that we will all equally get excited about.

Because trust me... the regular joe does not care about "CRUWEAR / Micarta", we do because we are nerds and I will also say. I never would deliberately overpay for a blade... but given what this beast of a masterpiece truly is. The BBS price may actually be worth it because if you haven't preordered than good luck! Long live the Shaman, and future Sprint Runs / Exclusives.

Lastly, thank you Spyderco for all your hardwork and your close connection with the knife community.
The BBS price is worth it, I just refuse to pay it when other sites released so much cheaper. If the knife was released at $320 everywhere, I would not have an issue with it.

Also, I think collectors and fans appreciate Spyderco do not upcharge very much for sprint runs. Hopefully, that does not change because of this. Even if the lower price allows some scalpers to make a quick buck.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:34 pm
Would love to see 2 or 3 more like Bento if not more. Just think 10 places with a bunch of unique and interesting exclusive and sprint knives for sale.
Country Knives is like that. Last I saw, they had a 4v Shaman in stock. I think it's their CC of the St Nicks.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have added my fair share of frustration towards Spyderco in this thread but I still don't get it. I understand that it has been stated that it takes a year process for a model to go from the beginning of the production process to the time it is released to consumers, but how can it be raining Para 3s this week, BBS, CS, and DLT are all releasing exclusives that seem to be landing with an underwhelming, market saturated thud, but there are an extremely limited number of these Cru Shamans available (or any other Shaman sprints/exclusives except for vague hints of future releases) with people freaking out to buy the current one. I believe that the first Para 3 sprint was within a few months after the initial S30V release. When I look at a calendar December '16 to August '17 is not a year. The Shaman has been available for almost two years with extremely limited availability aside from the standard production model. I absolutely trust Sal's statement that they underestimated the demand but shouldn't there be someone at Spyderco who does analytics on these kinds of things? From what we have been told, even if Sal designs a different version of this Sprint it is still a year away from production. Spyderco said the same thing about the McBee, Kapara, and Smock. At least these are regular production with basically unlimited production numbers. There will be far more frustrated, true Spyderco fans out of this than people who are pleased. I have tried at four different retailers all within two minutes of going live and I haven't been able to purchase one. You can count me out after that. Is it the end of the world? No. Will I find other bright, sharp objects to buy? Yes. But it would still be great to purchase a knife from a company that I have remained loyal to for years without jumping through flaming hoops or paying far above fair market value. If you already have purchased one then congratulations!! You hit the right place, right time lottery.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

There may be contrasts to draw in the potential response to the release of the Para 3 and the Shaman, however.

the Para 3 ticks a lot more "legal length" boxes than the PM2, and there may have been significant market demand for a smaller version for those living in restricted length areas. It was also received to near-universal acclaim by the various opinion-makers.

The Shaman, by contrast, goes beyond 3.5 inches (immediately excluding both the 3" and 3.5" legal length limit markets) and while pocket-friendly, is a significant presence both in the hand and when clipped. It released at a lower price point to positive buzz (PM2 killer?), but then very quickly underwent a significant price increase that caused a bunch of opinion-makers to move it to the 'not a good value for money' category.

Seen in this light, I can understand Spyderco's hesitation to backload a bunch of sprints and exclusives on a knife with an inherently limited market, no pent up appeal, and frankly lukewarm initial reception.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Exclusives and sprints are different.

The dealer/distributor fronts the cost of the exclusive, and has to decide what to have made based on what they think the market demands.

That means that we are seeing a ton of Para 3's because when they commissioned them (a year or so ago), they thought the Para 3 would be their best sales bet. That seems reasonable, given the early success of the model, and the previous success of the Para 2.

Almost no one took a risk on commissioning a Shaman exclusive (aside from St Nicks, who was rewarded by an instant sell out). The Shaman sprints were "commissioned" (and paid for) by Spyderco itself.

As far as "too many Para 3 exclusives", I guess we'll see, but I doubt that the various dealers commissioning them know what other exclusives are in the pipe line for roughly the same release time frame (because they're ordering at the same time, and they may or may not communicate/collude on these topics).

My guess is that in another year we're going to see a flood of Shaman exclusives based on the the success of the Cruwear and the St Nicks, but I could be wrong. The s90v sprint certainly wasn't anywhere near as popular as these.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

great point, the s90v CF Shaman is probably one of the best Golden knives out there and is still available lots of places.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:44 am
great point, the s90v CF Shaman is probably one of the best Golden knives out there and is still available lots of places.
From my point of view, that specific sprint didn't exactly convince most folks for two reasons: high price and S90V. Yes, it's a wonderful super steel, but in my estimation I don't remember ever seeing many folks being excited by S90V in general, and I certainly belong on that camp as well.

But taking into account that people always go crazy for Cru-Wear and a Spyderco with micarta scales is such a rare sight, it's very understandable why this one is literally exploding off the shelves.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Mzen wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:11 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:44 am
From my point of view, that specific sprint didn't exactly convince most folks for two reasons: high price and S90V. Yes, it's a wonderful super steel, but in my estimation I don't remember ever seeing many folks being excited by S90V in general, and I certainly belong on that camp as well.

But taking into account that people always go crazy for Cru-Wear and a Spyderco with micarta scales is such a rare sight, it's very understandable why this one is literally exploding off the shelves.
what stands out to me is the flawless finishing on the contoured CF. it's very rare to experience that combined with shaman-level ergonomics. It makes my hands happy!
Slash

Post by Slash »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:57 am
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 am
sal wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:19 am
Maybe this a bad time, but what do you guys think of a green Micarta Cruwear Shaman, or maybe a green Micarta with another exotic steel? I could argue for a larger quantity.

sal

Sal, I’m just adding to the din at this point, but I’d say after all this uproar, Spyderco is looking at plenty of additional margin ripe for the taking.

Like they say, scratch where it itches. When a sprint is selling out in minutes or even seconds, that’s a big itch.

Just my 0.02, but I’d wager another ~1200 piece Crucarta sprint (denim? probably doesn’t matter too much) AND a ~2400 piece “double” sprint in K390 and micarta (OD Green?) would have no trouble flying off the shelves.

Great opportunity to capitalize and turn this big win (with residual disappointment as evidenced here in the forum) into an even bigger win.
I cannot disagree with any of the above.
Why not offer a blue and a green. Wouldn't mind either with sr101 steel
I would say if the machines are already set up and currently making the brown cruman just leave them be and make a bunch more. Heck, I'll even buy the material for them...
Tarheelpwr

Post by Tarheelpwr »

jdw wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:19 am
I have tried at four different retailers all within two minutes of going live and I haven't been able to purchase one. You can count me out after that. Is it the end of the world? No. Will I find other bright, sharp objects to buy? Yes. But it would still be great to purchase a knife from a company that I have remained loyal to for years without jumping through flaming hoops or paying far above fair market value.
You can't say what they're selling for is above market value. Above what you and I are willing to pay? Yes. But to be fair, if there is a buyer for each seller (which there seems to be), the market will set "fair value". It's simple supply and demand. Based on DLT's current note on the site, only 1 out of 50 interested people received one of these knives. So, even adjusting for other sites willing some demand, there are still LOTS of people still hoping to score one, myself included.

Honestly though, I just picked up a PD#1 mule team and plan on putting micarta scales on it. For my uses, that will get me what I need at a fraction of the cost.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tarheelpwr wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:02 am
You can't say what they're selling for is above market value.
If people are buying it, then that's the definition of market value.

As an aside, I think the Shaman platform would be great for a 3v exclusive or sprint.
Tarheelpwr

Post by Tarheelpwr »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 am
Tarheelpwr wrote:
You can't say what they're selling for is above market value.
If people are buying it, then that's the definition of market value.

As an aside, I think the Shaman platform would be great for a 3v exclusive or sprint.
Agreed. That was my point. Just because it's more than he or I will pay, it's not above "market".
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

OOS
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Leader2light wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:33 am

The BBS price is worth it, I just refuse to pay it when other sites released so much cheaper. If the knife was released at $320 everywhere, I would not have an issue with it.

Also, I think collectors and fans appreciate Spyderco do not upcharge very much for sprint runs. Hopefully, that does not change because of this. Even if the lower price allows some scalpers to make a quick buck.
I beg to differ. I would NEVER pay the full MRSP that BBS is charging. :rolleyes: If these were that much everywhere, I'd be out completely. Look around at what else you can get for $320... The fact that just about every other retailer is charging $208 says a lot about BBS there. No surprise though, they always overcharge, they're no more than a flipper that actually went into business and still charges flipper prices while getting knives for less $ to begin with. I refuse to do business with a place like that. I'm dumbfounded that folks (some even here) happily paid that much! :eek:

TBH, for me, the current street price of the Shaman (regular model especially) is pushing what I'm willing to spend for what it is. If it weren't for the better steels and scales on exclusives/sprints, I wouldn't buy it. I didn't buy the regular model when it originally came out at ~$150 street price either, and I made sure to let the good folks at the SFO know exactly why. It was just beyond my comfort level for an S30V folder, even with good S30V.
Slash wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:24 am
Why not offer a blue and a green. Wouldn't mind either with sr101 steel
I would say if the machines are already set up and currently making the brown cruman just leave them be and make a bunch more. Heck, I'll even buy the material for them...
SR101??? Now you're talking a Busse collab.... ;) :eek: :cool: :D
Tarheelpwr wrote:
You can't say what they're selling for is above market value. Above what you and I are willing to pay? Yes. But to be fair, if there is a buyer for each seller (which there seems to be), the market will set "fair value". It's simple supply and demand. Based on DLT's current note on the site, only 1 out of 50 interested people received one of these knives. So, even adjusting for other sites willing some demand, there are still LOTS of people still hoping to score one, myself included.

Honestly though, I just picked up a PD#1 mule team and plan on putting micarta scales on it. For my uses, that will get me what I need at a fraction of the cost.
Much above $208 and I'm out. See above. I have enough in my collection, and given the competition at the price point, I think anything over about $220 puts it up against a LOT of other folders that I might rather have. I like giving my money to a local company that I have liked for a LONG time, but the price increases are starting to get a little out of control IMO.
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!