Manbug Salt/ Ladybug Hawkbill Salt comparison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Manbug Salt/ Ladybug Hawkbill Salt comparison

Post by Enactive »

Thanks for this, 40mm! Both knives are interesting to me, but I'd only like one, not both. I also have the sense I would prefer the non-existent Manbug hawk.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

The Ladybug hawkbill is ground thinner than the Dragonfly though right?
Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:54 pm
If I could only have one of these I'd probably go for the Ladybug, but I'd definitely choose the Dragonfly Salt over either. These two (especially the Manbug) are ground so thick that they don't slice near as well as the Dragonfly. I originally bought the Ladyhawk hoping it would be a decent box knife but it binds up like crazy.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

40mm wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:59 pm
Evil D wrote:
If I could only have one of these I'd probably go for the Ladybug, but I'd definitely choose the Dragonfly Salt over either. These two (especially the Manbug) are ground so thick that they don't slice near as well as the Dragonfly. I originally bought the Ladyhawk hoping it would be a decent box knife but it binds up like crazy.

You might try hitting the serrations with the sharpmaker corners to soften the points and peaks of the individual serrations. This should make it not bind. I disliked SE at first because of the binding, but it's better now after knocking those parts down a bit. I'm still a plain edge guy though.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

The Ladybug hawkbill is ground thinner than the Dragonfly though right? The Manbug salt is definitely quite a bit thicker than the Ladybug.
ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Evil D wrote:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:04 pm

You might try hitting the serrations with the sharpmaker corners to soften the points and peaks of the individual serrations. This should make it not bind. I disliked SE at first because of the binding, but it's better now after knocking those parts down a bit. I'm still a plain edge guy though.
40mm wrote:

The problem is the low hollow grind. Even though the Ladybug is a thinner blade, the grind ramps up to max thickness much sharper than the Dragonfly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:02 am
DOUBLE D wrote:

40mm wrote:

The problem is the low hollow grind. Even though the Ladybug is a thinner blade, the grind ramps up to max thickness much sharper than the Dragonfly.

Ah, I see that now. Thanks for pointing that out
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:00 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:02 am
DOUBLE D wrote:

40mm wrote:

Ah, I see that now. Thanks for pointing that out

It may also be a perception issue since I can get a much better grip on a Dragonfly, so the Ladybug may just feel like it binds more because I've only got 2 fingers on it vs 3.5 on a Dfly. Then again there's a noticeable difference between my standard Dragonfly Salt and the hawkbill version, and the hawkbill is ground much lower than the standard version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Well one week in and the hawkbill Ladybug taken over my pocket. Manbug has been ignored completely. Trying out a little lanyard for right now. I like it so far. Something special about this little knife. ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on FlickrImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr