Your Thoughts of an Ideal Companion Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Your Thoughts of an Ideal Companion Blade?

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm sure some of you have read one of my Hawkbill threads by now. My obsession with Spyderco's Hawkbill blades started long ago but in the past 7 years or so I discovered their value as a "Companion Blade">> in other words an addition folder to carry along side your main EDC. I don't use Hawkbills exclusively as my main Companion Blade but they are really good for that use in most cases. My main EDC is usually most of the time one of Spyderco's GOLDEN, CO USA made plain edged gems. A top caliber plain edged model along with one of Spyderco's superb serrated Hawkbills provides me a set of cutting tools that gives me the ability to take on just about any cutting job I would happen to encounter during a typical day.

At this point in time my main EDC is still my hallowed M390 Military model and I rotate companion blades between one of my serrated Hawkbills or my full SE stainless RESCUE model. It's been an awesome workman's combination for some time now. Since I've discovered this most wonderful and useful concept of a companion blade for my own uses I've learned by talking to many members of the Spyderville community I've come to learn that many of you also carry "Companian Blades" to your main EDC as well.

So let's talk about your choice of a Companian Blade and what you're idea of what is an ideal Companian Blade is and why? Also what makes up your needs and uses for a Companian Blade?
Pelagic

Re: Your Thoughts of an Ideal Companion Blade?

Post by Pelagic »

Basically any salt SE model since my main EDC is always PE. But I prefer larger folders, so probably a Pac Salt.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't intentionally carry a second knife on my body unless you count my multitool but I do have a 5.11 bag that goes everywhere with me and it always has a Dragonfly Salt hawkbill in it. I've forgot my main EDC knife a few times and that knife saved the day. I used to carry something SE in my bag since my main knife was PE but now since my most used knives are SE I just keep my multitool blade sharp as use it for the (very) rare occasion that I can't do something with SE and I need PE. Even though my main carry has changed to SE I still keep SE as my backup.

For people who are curious about getting into the SE world and don't want to carry a second full size knife, I can't recommend the SE Dragonfly Salt enough because it's small and light enough that you won't notice you're carrying it and it's super capable for it's size. It's also relatively inexpensive so if you decide SE just isn't for you it's not a big loss.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:29 am
I don't intentionally carry a second knife on my body unless you count my multitool but I do have a 5.11 bag that goes everywhere with me and it always has a Dragonfly Salt hawkbill in it. I've forgot my main EDC knife a few times and that knife saved the day. I used to carry something SE in my bag since my main knife was PE but now since my most used knives are SE I just keep my multitool blade sharp as use it for the (very) rare occasion that I can't do something with SE and I need PE. Even though my main carry has changed to SE I still keep SE as my backup.

For people who are curious about getting into the SE world and don't want to carry a second full size knife, I can't recommend the SE Dragonfly Salt enough because it's small and light enough that you won't notice you're carrying it and it's super capable for it's size. It's also relatively inexpensive so if you decide SE just isn't for you it's not a big loss.
Why sure a Multi-tool can count for a companion blade because most multi tools have blades of some type on them. And it really doesn't have to be a Spyderco knife to qualify ( although it would be better :cool:) as a companion blade.

I carry a companion blade not just to be carrying two folders>> I actually on an average day will use both of them at least once or twice even a quiet day.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I like a slipjoint with a fine edge as a companion to a stout fixed blade. As often as not, it’s a Spydie of some flavor rather than a slipjoint. It’s always nice to have a scary sharp edge that can stay untouched for if and when needed...in addition to an EDC edge.

This combo is one of the reasons I’ve never been drawn to overbuilt folders. The Crucarta Shaman finally coaxed me into giving a stout folder a try though. Can’t say I dislike it, but my preference remains thin and slicey for a folder. (The Shaman cuts extremely well for its beefy nature.)

I’ve also been giving a very minimal design push dagger a test run lately. This truly is a companion blade as it has one purpose only, and will likely never be used. It’s small and light enough that it disappears, which makes it a success to me so far.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I carry a Leatherman Squirt PS4 besides my pocket knife but I wouldn't carry 2 knives on a daily basis.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I would say a serrated edge companion. There are times when I have to cut cord or rope and that would be handy.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:29 am

I agree. This is a very capable knife and is weather friendly to boot.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Lately, I've been carrying a SE Byrd Rescue 2 (modified to wharncliffe) along side my PE Endura. I generally prefer PE, but SE comes in handy every so often and functions well as a companion blade. Being that it only costs about $25, I don't worry about loss or damage when someone needs to borrow a knife.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I don’t carry a companion knife on my person (though I always have a Swiss Army knife or multi tool in my bag & vehicles).

That said, If I were to carry one it would likely be a small serrated edge knife.
A Dragonfly Salt Serrated might be the perfect model.

(Damnit, now I want a dragonfly salt serrated)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I personally practically never carry a second folder additionally to my main EDC (normally Endura, Stretch 1, Endela SE or Pac Salt SE).

But most of the times I have the blade on my LM Micra and/or a LM Juice (S2 or CS4, always the OLD, discountinued version: Better and longer blade than the current one).

When I carry a fixed blade in the woods, I like to pair it with my Chap FRN (MUCH more than just an "office knife"...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:52 am
I would say a serrated edge companion. There are times when I have to cut cord or rope and that would be handy.
This is really catching on and it's growing a lot in our community and I'm seeing signs of it over at Bladeforums too. For guys like myself and several of you who really do use your folders in your everyday routine and everyday jobs/chores it gets obvious that just one plain edged blade just isn't enough to do it all with. Since Spyderco took the serrated edge to another level entirely the people who are paying attention realize that SE blades are not a novelty at all but another serious tool selection.

Also I'm intrigued at how many of you are using Multi-tools as a companion tool. It just makes perfect sense when you think about it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I find one PE and one SE to be a great combo, whichever one you choose to be the larger, main carry depending on your needs. Though we know guys like Evil, Vivi and Wartstein are perfectly content with just an SE at times.

I'm on board with any enthusiast that doesn't have an SE knife, should definitely give one a try.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

More and more, I'm realizing that pretty much the only reason I sometimes carry a "companion blade" is because I like knives and carrying more than one is fun. It's not because I need it, or that I might come across something which my main EDC can't handle. It's just more fun to have a more than one of these great knives in my pockets. Variety is wonderful, and since I can afford it why not? :)

I don't count my Leatherman Wave as a companion blade. While I do use the multi-tool quite frequently, it's mostly for the pliers. The blade has long been relegated to non-knife tasks like scraping and prying, so I don't have to sacrifice my "real" knives for these duties.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:15 pm
I find one PE and one SE to be a great combo, whichever one you choose to be the larger, main carry depending on your needs. Though we know guys like Evil, Vivi and Wartstein are perfectly content with just an SE at times.

I'm on board with any enthusiast that doesn't have an SE knife, should definitely give one a try.
Today for instance I had a job put in front of me to cut up a Pork Tenderloin into fillets. My M390 Military did superb not being a culinary knife but having that excellent plain edge handy was the ticket. Now If I would have had only a Spyderedged blade it wouldn't have went as well I'm sure of it

What plain edges are good for>> they are really good for those types of jobs. However when you need a blade with teeth it seems that nothing else will work. Most people I've met that have given a Spyderedge a try they usually change their minds completely about blades with teeth. Serrated edged knives are truly the victims of un-warranted prejudice IMO.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:52 pm
Now If I would have had only a Spyderedged blade it wouldn't have went as well I'm sure of it

A couple years ago I would have agreed but these days I'm not so sure. The more I use SE the more I question everything I've ever heard about what they're good for and not good for. I sliced up this pickle just fine and was able to get the slices as thin as I wanted them and could have gone thinner. This was also done right handed, I would imagine it would be even easier to slice them from the back side of the blade where it's flat.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:00 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:52 pm
Now If I would have had only a Spyderedged blade it wouldn't have went as well I'm sure of it

A couple years ago I would have agreed but these days I'm not so sure. The more I use SE the more I question everything I've ever heard about what they're good for and not good for. I sliced up this pickle just fine and was able to get the slices as thin as I wanted them and could have gone thinner. This was also done right handed, I would imagine it would be even easier to slice them from the back side of the blade where it's flat.
I'm probably about as much of a fan of the Spyderedge as you are>> and I think you know that too ;) But until they do more with different serration patterns I still think that the plain edge doe indeed have it's place.

With the great results I've had with one PE and one SE for a companion blade I'm totally convinced that a companion blade is not a necessity>> but to me it's a luxury of sorts. It's just been so handy for me in the past few years. But in most food prep I probably could get by with SE only.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

My companion blade(s) is always a medium stockman.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Leatherman Micra or Wave.

While certain edge types and blade shapes do better for certain tasks, I find I can get by just fine with a single sharp PE or SE knife. So my companion blade is going to be something with other tools on it.

Tonight it's my Police & Micra.
:unicorn