Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Enactive »

BBS has them up again. Shipping on Nov 1.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:08 pm
Hi Hamilton,

I'm mostly a Broncos fan, when time allows.

To try to fit a lock-back into the Shaman pattern would be challenging without making many mods. there isn't enough room for the big blade and a back-lock.

sal
Awesome! My grandad was one of the original season ticket holders when the Broncos first came to Denver! I remember him calling my dad crying when they won their first Super Bowl! Then it's crazy how it came full circle and my youngest held up his hands for a touchdown when they won their last one! Thanks again for being awesome!!!

Go Broncos!

Hamilton
BLM

Post by BLM »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:34 pm
BBS has them up again. Shipping on Nov 1.

Well I said heck with it and ordered one with BBS
I do have a pre order in with knifecenter but not sure if that will pan out if I get both I will pass one on
Last edited by BLM on Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Anyone remember the Denver Spurs... the Coliseum... and 5 cent beer night ?

Here is some interesting trivia for your next cocktail party ... "They were the first professional sports team in Colorado to win a championship"!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

A couple years from now, do you think these Cruwear Micarta Shamans will be selling for more, or less, or about the same as the current mark-up range of $300-$400???

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:57 am
A couple years from now, do you think these Cruwear Micarta Shamans will be selling for more, or less, or about the same as the current mark-up range of $300-$400???

CG
Depends A LOT on how many other runs of Crucarta Shaman are built.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:59 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG
Yeah. I’d use the PM2 Cruwear sprint as an example. The exclusive Cruwear model did a bit to temper that value increase I believe.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
sal

Post by sal »

Hi BLM,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:59 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG
Also depends if they actually do a PM and Shaman ultra version with push-button instead of a standard compression lock.

I hope they are seriously looking into this, as the PM2 ultra for sale with push-button mod is amazing. And of course, the smock is my favorite fidget knife.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Leader2light wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:22 am

Also depends if they actually do a PM and Shaman ultra version with push-button instead of a standard compression lock.

I hope they are seriously looking into this, as the PM2 ultra for sale with push-button mod is amazing. And of course, the smock is my favorite fidget knife.
Did I miss something? What's making you think Sal might actually implement this? If he thought a push button on the side was a better way to go wouldn't he design it that way in the first place? Personally I don't see it as an improvement, not even as a fidget toy.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Leader2light,

Th push button release used on the Smock was part of our original patent on the Compression lock along with several other release method. I opted for the current, and simplest, release for safety reasons. We'll watch the Smock model for a while. I know that it's a good "fidget factor", but function carries a lot of weight in my decisions.

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

If you could make the lock cutout a choil that would help
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:33 pm
Hi Leader2light,

Th push button release used on the Smock was part of our original patent on the Compression lock along with several other release method. I opted for the current, and simplest, release for safety reasons. We'll watch the Smock model for a while. I know that it's a good "fidget factor", but function carries a lot of weight in my decisions.

sal
That is great to hear. I would love to see other release methods also! I can't say enough good things about the smock push-button release. The PM2 "Ultra" mod is pretty popular now as well which I am sure you guys know about.

I personally try and collect every Spyderco compression lock knife. For me, they are the most unique and fun knives. Something like a liner lock/frame lock is just so unappealing to me, even though it is a very reliable and popular design.

For me, a knife is not only a tool but also a fidget item to help me relax. I just got the Amalgam yesterday. Takes a little getting used to, but now I love it!
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:44 am
Leader2light wrote:

Did I miss something? What's making you think Sal might actually implement this? If he thought a push button on the side was a better way to go wouldn't he design it that way in the first place? Personally I don't see it as an improvement, not even as a fidget toy.
If a push-button can be implemented without any compromise compared to a standard compression lock tab, pretty sure most people would see that as an upgrade. The only issue I can see is you need to make room for it in your design. That is why the smock has the large blade choil.

The PM2 Ultra simply takes a left-hand style PM2 and adds a button on the other side to create a push-button compression lock. No blade changes needed.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Leader2light wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:08 pm
If a push-button can be implemented without any compromise compared to a standard compression lock tab, pretty sure most people would see that as an upgrade. The only issue I can see is you need to make room for it in your design. That is why the smock has the large blade choil.
As someone already pointed out, their is a possible downside in accidentally unlocking the blade when applying a lot of pressure on the knife handle (like a tight grip for some kind of hard use cutting).

I don't think it's a no-brainer. There are going to be advantages and disadvantages that need to be considered in the overall design of the knife.
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:14 pm
Leader2light wrote:
As someone already pointed out, their is a possible downside in accidentally unlocking the blade when applying a lot of pressure on the knife handle (like a tight grip for some kind of hard use cutting).

I don't think it's a no-brainer. There are going to be advantages and disadvantages that need to be considered in the overall design of the knife.
No design is perfect. I doubt the Smock is the last push button compression Spyderco. I for one would be sad if it was.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

My concept of a compromise-free button compression lock would involve a stiffer spring and a significantly recessed button. I'm not knocking the smock at all, but I don't see a button compression lock as an unqualified improvement. I like being able to flush the lock, and a button could trap debris.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Leader2light wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:44 am
Leader2light wrote:

The PM2 Ultra simply takes a left-hand style PM2 and adds a button on the other side to create a push-button compression lock. No blade changes needed.
Fidget spinners are a lot cheaper and A LOT less dangerous...just a little food for thought.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

http://www.bentoboxshop.com/images/PE_B ... Shaman.jpg

Bento still has them for $320. Ship Nov 1st. I guess most people don't like overpaying by around $100 as they sure are not selling out in seconds as other places did.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Leader2light wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:14 pm
http://www.bentoboxshop.com/images/PE_B ... Shaman.jpg

Bento still has them for $320. Ship Nov 1st. I guess most people don't like overpaying by around $100 as they sure are not selling out in seconds as other places did.

What's sad is that price will eventually be a deal vs secondary market prices.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David