Rosewood shaman and CITES treaty

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Rosewood shaman and CITES treaty

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:00 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:52 pm
Yikes! Very good to know. So I wonder if these can be sold internationally.

Don't know how long rosewood or cocobolo have been CITES items, but were the 25th Ann Delica that came in what was described as a "cocobolo rosewood" box and Kopa #1 which has cocobolo scales, sold internationally? The Delica boxes may have been made in the USA, but the Kopa definitely traveled from Japan to the USA. I also have a Stretch with a set of textured cocobolo scales that were made for and shipped to me by a guy in Europe about 5 years ago.
AFAIK Cocobolo isn't CITES-listed. My Large Lum scales, purchased 2 weeks ago are cocobolo. I also know a maker of uilleann (Irish) pipes who just finished a set in cocobolo.
EDIT: Just saw after googling that they are both Dalbergia species/relatives and both CITES.. Wasn't aware they were both Dalbergia family.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I really don't think it will be real rosewood. Nobody uses real rosewood. It isn't really legal and would be a giant legal headache. It also probably wouldn't be ethical or justifiable.

However, there are different species that are marketed as rosewood but are actually not related. Woods that share a similar look while being legal and plentiful. A fairly common one is Caribbean Rosewood aka Chechen aka Poisonwood. I would think the product would be using something like this.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

It is my understanding that the knife is actual Rosewood.

sal
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:28 pm

sal
Very concerned about how the CITES treaty applies to steel types, can you confirm or deny that it’ll be Rex 45?
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:32 am
However, there are different species that are marketed as rosewood but are actually not related. Woods that share a similar look while being legal and plentiful. A fairly common one is Caribbean Rosewood aka Chechen aka Poisonwood. I would think the product would be using something like this.
^This. There are lots of things which get called Rosewood. I doubt they'd actually be using something like Dalbergia cochinchinensis, as it would cost an arm and a leg and be impossible to source legally.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

aaronkb wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:21 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:28 pm

sal
Very concerned about how the CITES treaty applies to steel types, can you confirm or deny that it’ll be Rex 45?
I'm sure no T-Rex were harmed or killed in the production of the knives blades
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Honestly, who really cares about CITES? It's not going to stop me from buying this knife. Half the wood blanks and products in my house are made out of types that are illegal or restricted in some way, shape or form.

Never fear tree huggers, you'll still have Pines! ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Only Brazilian rosewood is on the CITIES list, Australian rosewood is easily available in Australia.
Same species as the Brazilian rosewood
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

From the Taylor guitars website...
“Effective January 2, 2017, CITES import or export permits are required for commercial trade across international borders of Dalbergia in all its forms. This includes raw materials, parts, and guitars with any Dalbergia part on it. So this means not only a guitar with rosewood back and sides, but one that contains even small Dalbergia rosewood components (such as binding, a peghead overlay, pickguard, or other rosewood trim). Import/export permits are needed for anyone who buys or sells internationally, whether a wood supplier, manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or individual. To be clear, the CITES Management Authority in the U.S., the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, has stated that this regulation is neither a ban nor boycott of domestic trade in Dalbergia products.”

Basically, you can buy and sell domestically but if it needs to be sent in for service from overseas, it will need paperwork. If you try to travel with it and come back, it will need paperwork. Doesn’t matter what species of rosewood. Just be smart and informed. We have already seen what over zealous customs officials have done in Canada. Don’t get messed up if itcan be avoided.
sal

Post by sal »

Gail and I just had a dining room table made from Hawaiian Rosewood. It's a beautiful wood.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:52 pm
Gail and I just had a dining room table made from Hawaiian Rosewood. It's a beautiful wood.

sal
You can't post stuff like that without a picture! ;)

I'm itching to have some scales made for my Caribbean out of some Filipino Kamagong I have been saving.

Finding someone that will make them isn't an easy task when you want to keep the same grip pattern. Anyone know a true custom scale maker?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson