Manbug Salt/ Ladybug Hawkbill Salt comparison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Manbug Salt/ Ladybug Hawkbill Salt comparison

Post by 40mm »

I tried the Manbug Salt a while back, but I didn't really give it a fair shake due to my love of SE Dragonfly Salt that it was sharing time with. This time around, there is no Dragonfly since I sold it off to help fund other knives. (I will %100 get another Dragonfly Salt in the future.) Anywho, after a few days of carrying only the Manbug, it has started to grow on me. My typical knife needs during the week are not great so the Manbug has been handling everything in stride. I tried it with a paracord lanyard for a day or two but quickly realized I don't like it flopping around on the back of the handle even though it helps with the grip. As I was playing with the knife in the garage today I started to think about the grip. One thing I love about the Dragonfly is the grip that the choil allows. You're basically putting pressure evenly through your thumb on top and your forefinger underneath while in the forward choil. I love the grip and feel. I had to get used to having my finger further back on the Manbug due to the miniature "guard" built into the scales. Or did I? Out came the dremel and in a few minutes I buzzed that guard down which allows my forefinger to move up juuuuuuust enough to give a more natural and comfortable grip. So......the Manbug is sticking around. I also have a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt SE en route to compare it to. I love the look of the Hawkbill but have never pulled the trigger. Reading people's love of the little knife and seeing Bloke carry it exclusively for a month or so has pushed me over the edge. It arrives tomorrow. Here is a pic of the Manbug with its freshly sculpted scales. Cool little knife. ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Last edited by 40mm on Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Meat man

Re: Manbug Salt, Revisited

Post by The Meat man »

Very nice!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Here is a shot of the knife closed.....ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If it works better for you that way, awesome. It’s a cool little knife.
- best wishes, Jazz.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

You and Vivaldi made me buy one in the first place Jazz :)
Jazz wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:47 pm
If it works better for you that way, awesome. It’s a cool little knife.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

40mm wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:33 pm
I also have a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt SE en route
Hey 40, I’m sure you’ll love it. :cool:

I’ve carried mine exclusively for close to two months now and can’t fault the little thing. I’d have to say, in my everyday use it’s actually handier than my beloved Militaries but it has caused me a few panic attacks thinking I’d lost it. :eek: It’s so small I can pat the pocket it’s in and sometimes not feel it there.

I think it’s the most underrated and capable little knife I’ve ever handled and here’s my little gem, ready to take on all comers yet again at HMAS Waterhen, Balls Head here on Sydney Harbour on what’s promising to be 36degC scorcher. :)

Last edited by Bloke on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Ahhhhh, there it is! Mine arrives tomorrow and originally I had planned on comparing it with the Manbug and keeping the one I like best, But, since I have an itchy Dremel finger, I guess I'll be keeping the Manbug regardless. I've always been a small knife guy and then more recently became a serrated Salt knife believer. I'll be curious to see how the hawkbill shape does as an everyday cutter. The wharncliffe blade of the Manbug just seems like it would be a better all rounder but we shall see.
Bloke wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:15 pm
40mm wrote:
I also have a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt SE en route
Hey 40, I’m sure you’ll love it. :cool:

I’ve carried mine exclusively for close to two months now and can’t fault the little thing. I’d have to say, in my everyday use it’s actually handier than my beloved Militaries but it has caused me a few panic attacks thinking I’d lost it. :eek: It’s so small I can pat the pocket it’s in and sometimes not feel it there.

I think it’s the most underrated and capable little knife I’ve ever handled and here’s my little gem, ready to take on all comers yet again at HMAS Waterway, Balls Head here on Sydney Harbour on what’s promising to be 36degC scorcher. :)

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

40mm wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:33 pm
Ahhhhh, there it is! Mine arrives tomorrow and originally I had planned on comparing it with the Manbug and keeping the one I like best, But, since I have an itchy Dremel finger, I guess I'll be keeping the Manbug regardless. I've always been a small knife guy and then more recently became a serrated Salt knife believer. I'll be curious to see how the hawkbill shape does as an everyday cutter. The wharncliffe blade of the Manbug just seems like it would be a better all rounder but we shall see.
I was a little apprehensive about the Hawkbill also but it's actually no hindrance for anything I'm likely to cut in a day and extremely handy. I've found that it makes for a very handy little fork too in a pinch. ;)

Let us know what you think when you have yours in hand. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

FWIW, the only problem I have with my Manbug Salt and my SE Ladybug Hawkbill Salt is deciding which will be my SE carry on days I’m not EDCing an SE Pacific Salt as my primary.

Fantastically capable little little knives. One or the other sits at the bottom of my RRP with a fob to extend its handle.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Why do we not have a Manbug Salt hawkbill?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Anyone have pictures comparing the two models? Both one and closed side by side, and from the top down would be nice! Maybe the OP can take some when the ladybug hawkbill arrives
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Here you go sir. From the pictures it doesn't appear that they are that much different size wise. But in hand the ladybug is noticeably smaller. The texturing on the Manbug is bigger and deeper giving it a grippier feel, and it's just that much more hand filling. My initial thought is that I like the look of the hawkbill better but like the size of the Manbug better.
ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
T_MAC686 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:53 am
Anyone have pictures comparing the two models? Both one and closed side by side, and from the top down would be nice! Maybe the OP can take some when the ladybug hawkbill arrives
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

40mm wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:53 pm
Here you go sir. From the pictures it doesn't appear that they are that much different size wise. But in hand the ladybug is noticeably smaller. The texturing on the Manbug is bigger and deeper giving it a grippier feel, and it's just that much more hand filling. My initial thought is that I like the look of the hawkbill better but like the size of the Manbug better.
T_MAC686 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:53 am

Thanks so much for the pictures!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:40 am
Why do we not have a Manbug Salt hawkbill?

We have the Dfly hawk. I think you mean, why no Manbug wharnie? ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
40mm

Re: Manbug Salt/ Ladybug Hawkbill Salt comparison

Post by 40mm »

Thought I'd change the title since this is ending up more of a comparison thread. I'm going to try to not rush to any judgments here so I'm going to carry the Ladybug for the next few days to get a feel for it. It feels oddly solid and good in the hand despite its tiny size. ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

40mm wrote:
I tried the Manbug Salt a while back, but I didn't really give it a fair shake due to my love of SE Dragonfly Salt that it was sharing time with. This time around, there is no Dragonfly since I sold it off to help fund other knives. (I will %100 get another Dragonfly Salt in the future.) Anywho, after a few days of carrying only the Manbug, it has started to grow on me. My typical knife needs during the week are not great so the Manbug has been handling everything in stride. I tried it with a paracord lanyard for a day or two but quickly realized I don't like it flopping around on the back of the handle even though it helps with the grip. As I was playing with the knife in the garage today I started to think about the grip. One thing I love about the Dragonfly is the grip that the choil allows. You're basically putting pressure evenly through your thumb on top and your forefinger underneath while in the forward choil. I love the grip and feel. I had to get used to having my finger further back on the Manbug due to the miniature "guard" built into the scales. Or did I? Out came the dremel and in a few minutes I buzzed that guard down which allows my forefinger to move up juuuuuuust enough to give a more natural and comfortable grip. So......the Manbug is sticking around. I also have a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt SE en route to compare it to. I love the look of the Hawkbill but have never pulled the trigger. Reading people's love of the little knife and seeing Bloke carry it exclusively for a month or so has pushed me over the edge. It arrives tomorrow. Here is a pic of the Manbug with its freshly sculpted scales. Cool little knife. ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
I love your manbug mod.
Justin
sal

Post by sal »

Great stuff. Thanx much. Two interesting solutions to the same question. Originally, the Manbug was created for a larger hand and for a thicker blade stock than the Ladybug.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I usually go for the Hawkfly, but when I put some other knives or pocket tools in the left pocket rotation I usually toss the ladybug in my coin pocket instead. Not quite as stout as it's big brother, but plenty capable. Been carrying the ladyhawk for the last 2 days.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Another observation. The more mellow serrations on the Ladybug seem to me to be optimal for every day cutting. Just enough tooth to make the serrations worthwhile, but not aggressive enough to cause any of the snagging issues that seem to turn some people off to SE in the first place. Also the Ladybug seems to have a more high quality feel to me for some reason. Maybe it's the samples of each that I have, but even though it's smaller it feels more solid. Hard to explain but there it is. If I had to choose between the two today I'd take the little hawkbill. I'll keep comparing and updating as time goes on. Two great little knives! ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I could only have one of these I'd probably go for the Ladybug, but I'd definitely choose the Dragonfly Salt over either. These two (especially the Manbug) are ground so thick that they don't slice near as well as the Dragonfly. I originally bought the Ladyhawk hoping it would be a decent box knife but it binds up like crazy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David