Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderPhreak

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Leader2light wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:31 am
THESE ARE GONE, AND WE HAVE NO MORE COMING IN. WE APOLOGIZE FOR ALL WHO DID NOT GET ONE.

--riversedgecutlery

I guess all that is left is bladeHQ and Knifecenter?

lol. :rolleyes: This whole thing is just pathetic. :mad:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:19 am
Maybe this a bad time, but what do you guys think of a green Micarta Cruwear Shaman, or maybe a green Micarta with another exotic steel? I could argue for a larger quantity.

sal

Sal, I’m just adding to the din at this point, but I’d say after all this uproar, Spyderco is looking at plenty of additional margin ripe for the taking.

Like they say, scratch where it itches. When a sprint is selling out in minutes or even seconds, that’s a big itch.

Just my 0.02, but I’d wager another ~1200 piece Crucarta sprint (denim? probably doesn’t matter too much) AND a ~2400 piece “double” sprint in K390 and micarta (OD Green?) would have no trouble flying off the shelves.

Great opportunity to capitalize and turn this big win (with residual disappointment as evidenced here in the forum) into an even bigger win.
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Pretty sure bladeHQ is all that is left, folks. I guess they won't release until next week.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 am
sal wrote:
Maybe this a bad time, but what do you guys think of a green Micarta Cruwear Shaman, or maybe a green Micarta with another exotic steel? I could argue for a larger quantity.

sal

Sal, I’m just adding to the din at this point, but I’d say after all this uproar, Spyderco is looking at plenty of additional margin ripe for the taking.

Like they say, scratch where it itches. When a sprint is selling out in minutes or even seconds, that’s a big itch.

Just my 0.02, but I’d wager another ~1200 piece Crucarta sprint (denim? probably doesn’t matter too much) AND a ~2400 piece “double” sprint in K390 and micarta (OD Green?) would have no trouble flying off the shelves.

Great opportunity to capitalize and turn this big win (with residual disappointment as evidenced here in the forum) into an even bigger win.
I cannot disagree with any of the above.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Sprints have always been a bit crazy, but this one is on a whole new level.

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I feel like there's also been an expanding market awareness of what Spyderco offers in the past year. I'm seeing more spoon clips on pockets when I'm out and about.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

In order to provide a little entertainment, and because every thread needs pictures, get a load of what someone did to one of these. Dyed scales, stonewashed blade, and "flame ano'ed" hardware:

Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

I guess this was a bad time to try and get a sprint knife? I never had tried before... How long are custom runs like saint nicks knives usually in stock? 5min? 15min?
BLM

Post by BLM »

ekastanis wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:02 am
In order to provide a little entertainment, and because every thread needs pictures, get a load of what someone did to one of these. Dyed scales, stonewashed blade, and "flame ano'ed" hardware:

horrible abomination
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

ekastanis wrote:

Jesus wept...
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:06 am
Jesus wept...
Haha, not to my taste, but look on the bright side: that guy definitely didn't buy this purely to flip it for profit. I say good for him.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think the st. nick's red scales look a lot better than that.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

ekastanis wrote:

At least he made it his, and isn't looking to flip it. Good for that guy, these are the folks that this is made for! While I don't care for his taste, glad to see one that didn't get snatched up by a flipper.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Elduderino,

We asked Crucible to make Cruwear a while back. They decide to powder it for us. I think it was a good move on their part.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:11 am
ekastanis wrote:

At least he made it his, and isn't looking to flip it. Good for that guy, these are the folks that this is made for! While I don't care for his taste, glad to see one that didn't get snatched up by a flipper.
You have a valid point. Couldn't hold back my personal spontaneous reaction though :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:03 am
Hi DTPrime BLM,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Evil,

I learned to remove my finger after the drip begins. :p I wanted the longer guard as part of the design. :o

Thanx mb1.

sal

Yeah I do the same and I must say I do like how much guard it makes. It's almost enough to be a flipper....
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 am
sal wrote:

sal

Hi Hank,

We operate on pretty fixed margins. Enough to run our company and take care of our crew. We'll make less on some makers because their prices are very high, but we don't generally raise prices on a hot item. We feel that "to charge as much as the market will bare" is biting the hand that feeds you.

sal
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:16 am
Hi Elduderino,

We asked Crucible to make Cruwear a while back. They decide to powder it for us. I think it was a good move on their part.

sal
That's awesome Sal, I forgot that history about the development. It definitely seems like a great product for them. If it makes economic sense for Spyderco, I for one would love if Cruwear became an evergreen option across the line, like S110V. I have to think it would be very well received.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Green micarta here. As for steel, Cru-Wear or 4V would be my choices, gotta keep the tough folder theme consistent. And throw in a nice stonewash finish on that blade while you're there Sal :D
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:23 am
Hi Hank,

We operate on pretty fixed margins. Enough to run our company and take care of our crew. We'll make less on some makers because their prices are very high, but we don't generally raise prices on a hot item. We feel that "to charge as much as the market will bare" is biting the hand that feeds you.

sal
And this is exactly why I love Spyderco, among other reasons. Like putting up with us crazy knife knuts, steel snobs, etc. ;) :cool: