Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Tdog »

dogrunner wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:57 pm
I got lucky and got one from the pre-order list at Knifeworks right after the original advanced shipment sold out - also had one in the cart and did not complete the purchase fast enough, but happened to be in the right place at the right time for the next few.
Like many of you I wanted this version ever since the original thread about steel and scale materials.
I had also tried to get the St Nicks 4V, had it in the cart and still did not get one.
But for all those who are frustrated - Spyderco made the decision on making this a sprint and not a bigger run. That is their call. This is not a new thing and it is a good way to get variants in the hands of users, even if not all demand will be satisfied. But P-L-E-A-S-E do NOT blame them or retailers for how shopping carts work in e-commerce. And we can all stop feeling so entitled! It is a knife, not a kidney transplant.
Thank you
kirilpetkov

Post by kirilpetkov »

Anyone bought spyderco shaman from smkw that i have pre-order but so far nothing? Thanks.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tdog wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:12 am
dogrunner wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:57 pm
I got lucky and got one from the pre-order list at Knifeworks right after the original advanced shipment sold out - also had one in the cart and did not complete the purchase fast enough, but happened to be in the right place at the right time for the next few.
Like many of you I wanted this version ever since the original thread about steel and scale materials.
I had also tried to get the St Nicks 4V, had it in the cart and still did not get one.
But for all those who are frustrated - Spyderco made the decision on making this a sprint and not a bigger run. That is their call. This is not a new thing and it is a good way to get variants in the hands of users, even if not all demand will be satisfied. But P-L-E-A-S-E do NOT blame them or retailers for how shopping carts work in e-commerce. And we can all stop feeling so entitled! It is a knife, not a kidney transplant.
Thank you
2nd that. Some people are really taking this waaaaay too seriously. Losing sleep, refreshing a computer for countless hours every day...over a knife!!?! Can't imagine how some of these people react to actual crisis in their lives.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

BBS has theirs on sale now for whopping $320, full retail, and shipping Monday!

Sorry repost, but they do have the CF/S90V cheaper!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is easy for me to say it because I already have one but...

This is a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be fun. If you are not enjoying yourself then you aren’t doing it right.

Now I’ll get a little Buddhist on you. Desire is the root of suffering. It is ok to want something but it is unhealthy to allow it to overpower you. :D :cool: :spyder:

I missed out on the Jade/M4 and Red/4V Shamans. Luckily a kind forum member helped me out with the Jade. I was bummed about the 4V but life went on. My wishlist of knives still exceeds how many I can enjoy or afford so I just focus my eyes on the next shiny object.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A couple hundred more Darby's and this place would be much calmer!

-Rick
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

This knife has been at the top of my wish list all year - ever since I heard about it at least. If I can't grab one, then oh well. I missed out on the 4V version too and I planned to put micarta scales on that. Worst case scenario I will just buy a standard version and get micarta scales for it.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I saw DLT post on their social media last night that they had fewer than 35 pieces, so I imagine other dealers are getting them at similar numbers. I really want one, but I've given up any hope of it at this point.. they are just selling out too fast everywhere. Haha, it's Shaman hysteria! I hope those people who get one enjoy them!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I find it funny so many people always said "it's too big of a model for me, too pricey, too heavy, over built for my needs" All the sudden they throw Cruwear and micarta scales on this model and everyone HAS TO HAVE IT!! Haha

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:33 am
This knife has been at the top of my wish list all year - ever since I heard about it at least. If I can't grab one, then oh well. I missed out on the 4V version too and I planned to put micarta scales on that. Worst case scenario I will just buy a standard version and get micarta scales for it.
Sal mentioned recently that there are like 4 other shaman exclusives in the works right now, so there will be many more awesome versions soon to come. The Rosewood/rex45 one sounds beautiful, and my guess is we'll see one soon in k390. So plenty more equally bada** models to choose from for anyone that misses out on this one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

A smurf Shaman would be amazing.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:49 am
FullFlatMind wrote:
Sal mentioned recently that there are like 4 other shaman exclusives in the works right now, so there will be many more awesome versions soon to come. The Rosewood/rex45 one sounds beautiful, and my guess is we'll see one soon in k390. So plenty more equally bada** models to choose from for anyone that misses out on this one.
I wonder if the approach to how the upcoming models are released will be done differently, after all the disgruntled customers and complaints over this knife. If this many people are worked up about it on the forum alone, I cant imagine how many people are nation wide.

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:43 am
I find it funny so many people always said "it's too big of a model for me, too pricey, too heavy, over built for my needs" All the sudden they throw Cruwear and micarta scales on this model and everyone HAS TO HAVE IT!! Haha
Lol, it's true - I was one of those people at first! And it is a big, heavy, expensive knife! But after holding one, and using that crucarta Manix we both love, I'm a convert. The Shaman will never be a city edc for me, but as an outdoor knife, it's the perfect folding version of a fixed blade I'd love to have, especially with micarta and cruwear.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:53 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:49 am
FullFlatMind wrote:
I wonder if the approach to how the upcoming models are released will be done differently, after all the disgruntled customers and complaints over this knife. If this many people are worked up about it on the forum alone, I cant imagine how many people are nation wide.

I think this was just a unique situation for a combination of model/steel/scales that made for an ultra desirable knife for an extremely broad range of enthusiasts. I saw lots of people saying this would be their first Spyderco. Lots of crossover from fixed blade users used to Micarta and tough steels.

I personally have ZERO desire for any wood handled knives, and would only buy a K390 Shaman if it had Micarta scales. Now if they did a Micarta Shaman with a Delta 3V blade, I think it would be like this, but even crazier. Pretty sure the internet would break!

I (and many people on this forum) could have told you that the Cru-carta Shaman was going to be one of the hottest knives ever to come out of Golden from the moment Sal mentioned it. Even if it didn't fit their plans to put it into full production, I think they should have called some dealers and offered it to a dealer as a dealer exclusive. At least that way the dealer could do run after run after run until demand was met. Oh well, I still don't think this will be the last Cru-carta Shaman we will see. There will be more eventually in different color Micarta or DLC coated or some minor variation to differentiate from the one time only sprint.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

If there's a 3v OD green micarta Shaman in the future, that would DEFINITELY break the internet. Would hopefully be a distributor exclusive if not a production model.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Anyone know if more releases are coming today or do we have to wait until next week to be disappointed again...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:11 am
It is easy for me to say it because I already have one but...

This is a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be fun. If you are not enjoying yourself then you aren’t doing it right.

Now I’ll get a little Buddhist on you. Desire is the root of suffering. It is ok to want something but it is unhealthy to allow it to overpower you. :D :cool: :spyder:

I missed out on the Jade/M4 and Red/4V Shamans. Luckily a kind forum member helped me out with the Jade. I was bummed about the 4V but life went on. My wishlist of knives still exceeds how many I can enjoy or afford so I just focus my eyes on the next shiny object.
True, "all want is pain".

As to others comparing it to a kidney, well keep in mind actual kidneys are few and far between on transplant schedule, for good reasons. No one is making spares. However, this knife has a completely artificial shortage which is creating this stress. It is a model many, many people want but the decision was made to stick with the low limit of 1200 items. With the years of demand for Cruwear models I really do not think it was much a stretch to make twice that or to even make it a standard offering. Of course, not my company, not my decision. For some of us this model is *exactly* what we want, not red 4v, not Rosewood, etc. Now, I have one on preorder so I am not constantly refreshing or worrying about near instant sellouts. If I do not get one, I will be disappointed. It is rarely a good business practice to disappoint a customer who is willing to spend money with your company. Sal already says he is working on it, so I'm not going belabor the point further.

Good luck to everyone who wants one. To those who have one, keep posting especially if you actually use it as intended.

(edited for clarity)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
mb1

Post by mb1 »

K390/micarta might be just as bonkers. Maybe. Or maybe it would weed out some of the corrosion-phobic that Cruwear doesn’t quite scare off. Would be hard to pass.

My dream combo might be K390/denim micarta.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Slash

Post by Slash »

I found some...HAHAHA made you look
****, was that cruel?
What the f**k. D*mn is a bad word that auto edits???
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Slash wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:58 am
I found some...HAHAHA made you look
****, was that cruel?
What the f**k. D*mn is a bad word that auto edits???
Are you 12 years old?? What's the point in this post?? :confused: Profile says your 46...

-Rick