Sharpening stone suggestions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Sharpening stone suggestions?

Post by Pelagic »

I've heard of Norton, 3M, and Global. I own a Norton Cristolon but it needs flattening and I've been too busy to do it. Global makes good kitchen knives, I just don't have any experience with their sharpening equipment. And I couldn't believe the price on that 3M plate that Shawn posted, that is unreal. 3M is a HUGE company everyone's heard of, but if the prices on their sharpening equipment are like that, it's no wonder they aren't as popular, haha. I think most people just like spyderco's products. Between DMT/Atoma diamond plates/stones, spyderco ceramics, the popular sharpening systems, and a few strops, the vast majority of people's needs are met. And when your needs are met, you don't have a strong urge to look for new products.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:08 am
I've heard of Norton, 3M, and Global. I own a Norton Cristolon but it needs flattening and I've been too busy to do it. Global makes good kitchen knives, I just don't have any experience with their sharpening equipment. And I couldn't believe the price on that 3M plate that Shawn posted, that is unreal. 3M is a HUGE company everyone's heard of, but if the prices on their sharpening equipment are like that, it's no wonder they aren't as popular, haha. I think most people just like spyderco's products. Between DMT/Atoma diamond plates/stones, spyderco ceramics, the popular sharpening systems, and a few strips, the vast majority of people's needs are met. And when your needs are met, you don't have a strong urge to look for new products.
I got those 3M diamond stones back around 05-06 from Texas Knifemaker's Supply at their booth at a knife show. The two that I got were $70+ for each stone>> and for their size and at that time I thought were a bit pricey. No they weren't cheap but they've been worth every penny I paid for them. Now the Norton stones I got off of Ebay and I got those two Norton diamond stones for a song. I don't think I paid more than $30 for either one of them. And they are expensive when you buy them new.

I got a complete set of 3M diamond files from a WoodWorker's supply company here in KC that was going out of business a few years back. They've been a great set of sharpening tools as well.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Can someone help educate me to what Flattening actually is? I'm reading this as I need to purchase some products to help sharpen my knives!

Hamilton
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:39 am
Can someone help educate me to what Flattening actually is? I'm reading this as I need to purchase some products to help sharpen my knives!

Hamilton
Sharpening stones dish after prolonged use. They wear out from abrading blade steel. You flatten the stone periodically so you have a consistent surface for creating a perfect edge. People use coarse diamond plates and silicon carbide powder on glass. You can't get perfect bevels if the stone isn't flat.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Flattening is done mostly on water stones in order to prevent dishing from where you rub the knife against them.

Flattening is also called lapping this is usually done on a glass plate with silicone carbide powder in this instance it would be done with diamond stones imbedded in a resin substrate.

One does not do this with electroplated diamond plates aka stones as they are electrostaticly embedded in a nickel substrate / plate.

Hope this helps.

For free hand sharpening look at the Atoma Diamond plates. Might want to get some wedgek guides to get the feel for the degrees.

For guided simplicity you will always return to get a sharp maker it compliments all other methods and short of heavy reprofiling is a complete system.

For powered sharpening get a Ken Onion with blade grinder attachment they have many belts made by Norton to choose from in many grits even stiff belts to prevent conveying the blade.

Strop with 3 micron, 1 Micron. .5 micron and .1 micron Diamond pastes, or emulsions or sprays.
FK

Post by FK »

I gave used DMT for over 30 years,,, excellent products.
The extra coarse is very agressive when new,, it takes considerable use to calm down and level out for precision apex formation.
I suggest coarse and use very minimal pressure.and it will break in fairly fast.
Alternately get the ex coarse and break it in with a hardened block of steel by tubbing it over the entire surface with lube.

I have use mineral oil and water for lube,,, both work fine.

Regards,
FK
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:39 am

Hamilton
Hey Hamilton, hopefully this helps, so have a look if you like, over at the “Community Sharpening Journal” thread. It’s a simple process and does make a difference. :)

Anyhow, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. :cool:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84678&start=80
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin