Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wright.88

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Wright.88 »

ferider wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:44 pm
This is getting silly. And no, this is not how Sprint runs used to be.

Spyderco: you are p*ssing a lot of faithful users and collectors off, with your new release/marketing/reveal strategy, me included. And you are actively encouraging what basically is scalping.

Bye.
Lol, bye. The constant whining is SO annoying. From so many people. It’s a SPRINT, meaning it’s limited. So they’re only going to make so many. There are 1200 of them, the same number Spyderco normally does for sprints. Sure, it’s more in demand than most sprints, but everyone has the same shot at getting one. And there are still plenty of chances left from other retailers. The complaining about Spyderco not making enough is getting pretty old.

/Long time faithful user who is not “ticked off” in the slightest.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

I had the Shaman in the 'cart' twice today but somebody else beat me to it by a second or two. This problem might be resolved buy getting another 800 made to make it a 2000 Sprint run. :D
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:51 pm
Being in the cart doesn't count as sold until the sale is final. There can be a million people on the site at the same time all with knives in their carts but it's only the first X amount of people who finalize the sale who get them and then all the others are out of luck. This is probably true for literally anything you can buy online that has a quantity, it's even possible with standard production knives if enough people all decided to buy the same model all at the same time.
So, you’re saying that if I’m standing in the check-out line at a brick-and-mortar store with a Cabbage-Patch Doll for my daughter and some dude grabs it for his own daughter, that’s OK?

As I said above, the “cart” metaphor is a deception.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Which retailers haven't yet sold their allotments?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Yes. But it's a widely used metaphor in e-commerce.

The problem develops with limited stock, high demand items. If I were an e-commerce designer (which I'm not) I'd create a "reserved" function by which inventory is reserved when it's placed in a cart, but then "re-stocked" and removed from the card after some time period (5 minutes or something) to allow others to get it if the original cart is abandoned. I'm sure there would still be complaints, but it would help. Unfortunately, there are _no_ on-line knife retailers who do their own e-commerce design in house. They all use stock solutions from e-commerce providers. Creating this kind of function would have to be done by a very large retailer (like Amazon) or by a company that makes stock software (like Shopify).
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

TomAiello wrote:
River's Edge Cutlery, BladeHQ, Knives Ship Free, GPKnives all list as coming soon still.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:51 pm
Being in the cart doesn't count as sold until the sale is final. There can be a million people on the site at the same time all with knives in their carts but it's only the first X amount of people who finalize the sale who get them and then all the others are out of luck. This is probably true for literally anything you can buy online that has a quantity, it's even possible with standard production knives if enough people all decided to buy the same model all at the same time.
So, you’re saying that if I’m standing in the check-out line at a brick-and-mortar store with a Cabbage-Patch Doll for my daughter and some dude grabs it for his own daughter, that’s OK?

Obviously a brick and mortar store is completely different than online. You have the item physically in your hands at a store. Until they figure out how to do that online, this is just how it is. They have X amount of inventory and it's first come first serve.

*Actually something similar does happen in physical stores but on items that are kept locked up or are otherwise impossible for you to hold in your hands. Any console video game sale happens just like this. People get in line but only the first however many get one. Having an item in an online cart is essentially the same as standing in line until you've actually paid for it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

DVOR offshoot of optics planet has a cart system where if you put something in your cart it's on hold for 10 or 15 minutes, I've seen where there's one item left and it will say "on hold for 07:32" and you can wait for the timer to time out and then add it to your cart, or the other person finished their transaction and it says sold out. Probably would be more likely to crash the site though in this type of situation.
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Lumpy620 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:15 pm
TomAiello wrote:
River's Edge Cutlery, BladeHQ, Knives Ship Free, GPKnives all list as coming soon still.
Yup, knife center said their first run has already been distributed as well...with all the small shipments to all the different distributors, and after all the employees get theirs, it really does make it hard...I only got one notification out of 4-5 requests hoping it will pan out. I also pre ordered from knife center within an hour of it going up on their site and evidently missed out on that one too.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

While it may seem like adding a timed hold to your cart will make it easier to get a high demand item, the reality is that you still have the same number of people trying to make the purchase. The result will just be more people won't get the item into their carts but in the end the people who are the fastest will be the ones who get the limited number available.
-Turbo
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Good luck to all those entering the fray tomorrow. :spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Carlito555 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:35 pm
Lumpy620 wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
Yup, knife center said their first run has already been distributed as well...with all the small shipments to all the different distributors, and after all the employees get theirs, it really does make it hard...I only got one notification out of 4-5 requests hoping it will pan out. I also pre ordered from knife center within an hour of it going up on their site and evidently missed out on that one too.
The "first runs" for most of these places were the premiere shipments of like 10 knives each. Don't fret, I think the bigger orders have yet to arrive at any place that didn't post them today, including KC. And most places that did post today seemed to have gotten small shipments. My guestimate: not even half of the 1200 run has been sold so far.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

As I mentioned before, I emailed knife center. The lady that responded said they covered their preorders. If you got one in you should be good. But I understand the hesitance.

Did anyone else get a cutlershoppe order. I’ve never ordered there before. My order says awaiting fulfillment. Is this standard for them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:08 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

The problem develops with limited stock, high demand items. If I were an e-commerce designer (which I'm not) I'd create a "reserved" function by which inventory is reserved when it's placed in a cart, but then "re-stocked" and removed from the card after some time period (5 minutes or something) to allow others to get it if the original cart is abandoned. I'm sure there would still be complaints, but it would help. Unfortunately, there are _no_ on-line knife retailers who do their own e-commerce design in house. They all use stock solutions from e-commerce providers. Creating this kind of function would have to be done by a very large retailer (like Amazon) or by a company that makes stock software (like Shopify).
All good points, Tom. I’ll amend my earlier remarks.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I got lucky and got one from the pre-order list at Knifeworks right after the original advanced shipment sold out - also had one in the cart and did not complete the purchase fast enough, but happened to be in the right place at the right time for the next few.
Like many of you I wanted this version ever since the original thread about steel and scale materials.
I had also tried to get the St Nicks 4V, had it in the cart and still did not get one.
But for all those who are frustrated - Spyderco made the decision on making this a sprint and not a bigger run. That is their call. This is not a new thing and it is a good way to get variants in the hands of users, even if not all demand will be satisfied. But P-L-E-A-S-E do NOT blame them or retailers for how shopping carts work in e-commerce. And we can all stop feeling so entitled! It is a knife, not a kidney transplant.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:08 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

Ticketmaster does exactly this. It's kinda nice for getting good seats.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SLOSpyder wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:49 pm
As I mentioned before, I emailed knife center. The lady that responded said they covered their preorders. If you got one in you should be good. But I understand the hesitance.

Did anyone else get a cutlershoppe order. I’ve never ordered there before. My order says awaiting fulfillment. Is this standard for them?
I've bought many knives from CutleryShoppe. I've never been in this kind of high demand situation from them (although I did get the very last XHP PM2) so I can't say for sure, but they've always been a stand up operation in my experience, so I'd expect that they'll come through for you.
Tarheelpwr

Post by Tarheelpwr »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:45 pm
SLOSpyder wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:49 pm

I've bought many knives from CutleryShoppe. I've never been in this kind of high demand situation from them (although I did get the very last XHP PM2) so I can't say for sure, but they've always been a stand up operation in my experience, so I'd expect that they'll come through for you.
No first hand experience, but I was clicking submit order within 10 sec, and it did not allow me to process. I would think that’s good news for you. If it let you process, I’d be optimistic.
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

Lumpy620 wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
Don’t forget DLT website says they’re getting another small batch next week.

Thanks for the feedback above. I really hope everyone that wants one gets one. Maybe time for another Sprint Run tier for ones they know are grand slams. Something like 1800-2000 pieces.

Edited: Don’t want others being offended at my desire to hunt the knives I want. Beauty of it is, I have control over my life and can afford the things I like. And part of the enjoyment is the search in finding the pieces you want.
Last edited by SLOSpyder on Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
jacala

Post by jacala »

I've temporarily given up ! Bit hard keeping awake at 3.30 am Australian time. Will try again next week.Maybe !?
In the meantime I bought myself a "feel good" consolation prize.
A Streamlight TLR-8.:-)