Dare I say it.....wharncliffe Police????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a wharncliffe Police Lightweight?

Yes
29%
No, I'd rather have a regular Police blade
60%
No, the Police doesn't interest me regardless of blade shape
11%

Total votes: 35

vivi

Dare I say it.....wharncliffe Police????

Post by vivi »

With the Delica and Endura getting the same treatment, it makes me wonder how a wharncliffe Polce LW would look. Anyone else interested?
:unicorn
abbazaba

Re: Dare I say it.....wharncliffe Police????

Post by abbazaba »

As much as i like options, I truly love the shape of the Police blade and don't see myself picking up a wharnie version.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd rather buy a random CRKT than a wharnie Police.. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy it. It's my kind of crazy. I'd buy it over the Endura wharnie for sure. Really though I think I'd buy wharnie versions of every non wharnie I have.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't want to vote no, because i'm not against the idea, but i find wharncliffe blades to be incredibly useful when small and that the utility seems to diminish the longer the blade gets. even the yojimbo is already pushing that limit for me when it comes to edc utility. that's not to knock the yojimbo. it's a great design for it's intended purpose and for edc. the upcoming yojumbo is of interest to me as well, but primarily as a defensive tool and all around cool knife. for edc tasks though, i typically find small wharncliffe blades or longer blades with at least a little bit of belly to be the most useful.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
blues

Post by blues »

If you get Sinkevich to design the blade profile. Not an elongated wharncliffe...but one similar to some other designs by him.
- Retired from the chase -
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:16 pm
i don't want to vote no, because i'm not against the idea, but i find wharncliffe blades to be incredibly useful when small and that the utility seems to diminish the longer the blade gets. even the yojimbo is already pushing that limit for me when it comes to edc utility. that's not to knock the yojimbo. it's a great design for it's intended purpose and for edc. the upcoming yojumbo is of interest to me as well, but primarily as a defensive tool and all around cool knife. for edc tasks though, i typically find small wharncliffe blades or longer blades with at least a little bit of belly to be the most useful.
Yes, I agree with ‘Bug’s points. I love a straight edged blade for utility use and carry one most every day (usually a trad Lambsfoot slipjoint), but I find the sweet spot is around a forefinger length blade. More than that and I experience diminishing usefulness.

Much larger again, and the cane knife pattern is a very useful chopper and brush clearer, and the old Anglo-Saxon Seax also has some interesting history, but personally I like the Po’leece blade shape as it is.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:16 pm
Yes, this. I feel the same about hawkbills. My ideal hawkbill (for pure functionality) would be a dragonfly HB sized blade in an endura sized handle. It would be an ugly beast but would function well. When I use those type of blades I’m typically using the last inch towards the tip and I find that (for me) long HB and wharncliffe blades start to lose their functionality.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I would love a wharncliffe P4. It's one of my favorite blade shapes and the handle is the best I've held. If it came in K390 and the same blade thickness as the original, that would be a dream. If it came in VG10, I would be slightly less excited, but not by much.
Tims

Post by Tims »

It’s a no for me, how about full serrated first.

And ffg se for the Endura!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy it in K390, but not in VG-10.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The Police is just too big for me.I would love a wharnie Endela,on the other hand.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

If Mr Jannich designed the blade profile, methinks that folk would grab one? :)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

This is weird, because aesthetics are usually secondary/tertiary in my thought process when determining whether or not I like a design, but the #1 thing I don't like about the wharnie Endura is the shape of the curve of the spine. I'd much rather have a spine that ran nearly parallel to the cutting edge up until 3/4" away from the tip, where it had a reverse tanto angle to it (depending on how acute this angle was made, the last part could be curved somewhat to have a stronger tip). I really like reverse tanto's and for some reason the curved spine looks weird to me. It's also got to be somewhat bulky in the pocket.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Tims

Post by Tims »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:49 am
This is weird, because aesthetics are usually secondary/tertiary in my thought process when determining whether or not I like a design, but the #1 thing I don't like about the wharnie Endura is the shape of the curve of the spine. I'd much rather have a spine that ran nearly parallel to the cutting edge up until 3/4" away from the tip, where it had a reverse tanto angle to it (depending on how acute this angle was made, the last part could be curved somewhat to have a stronger tip). I really like reverse tanto's and for some reason the curved spine looks weird to me. It's also got to be somewhat bulky in the pocket.
I agree
kells45

Post by kells45 »

Make mine full serrated
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have to repeat what has been said already in this thread (and I said before in others):

For some reasons I like wharnie blades only in smaller knives (Delica, maybe even Endela-size, but sure not larger).
I have to admit: I never had a larger wharncliff knife, so all I say is just guessing somehow. But if I think of in which particular tasks I´d predomimantely would like to use that blade shape, I feel that a rather short blade is sufficient or even better suited than a longer one.

I even did not get the Endura ("smaller" than the Police) Wharnie, despite the Endura is perhaps my favorite folder of all times, plus the Wharnie Endura would offer an SE FFG version - a configuration I would REALLY like to see (the current SE Endura in "regular" blade shape only comes in sabre grind),but not as a wharnie.

And even the Endura Wharnie, let alone a Police Wharnie, is obviously quite a "pocket space consumer" when it comes to width
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'm interested to see what the mockups look like. The Delica has finally grown on me, but the Endura still looks a bit "off" to me. I'm really digging my P4 LW, that I don't I'd find the need for a wharnie version, but I'd still like to see some pics just to be sure.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

All I want is some serrations on mine.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Ffg SE Wharncliffe Police would be a beast.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!