Cutting boards

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Cutting boards

Post by Ankerson »

crazywednesday wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:28 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:22 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:02 pm
Unapologetically I haven't even googled this.

What cutting board are you using and why? Which cutting boards wear on blade edges the least?
Honestly, I started this thread with concern over wear on blade edge. Its interesting to me that this has morphed into sanitation. I probably wasnt specific enough. I have always considered "plastic" cutting boards more sanitary given same wash routine. There seems to be two schools of thought. 1) nobody has commented on increased wear on either type of cutting board. Maybe this is so negligible that nobody cares or it hasnt been studied enough for anyone to post on this forum. 2) biological contamination is more important to a type of cutting board that wear on the blade doesnt matter. I would like to propose; What type of cutting boards wear less on your kitchen knives?

Synthetic actually wears less as long as you get good high quality boards.

The cheap crap is more plastic and is harder on the edges.
How does one know quality vs cheap when it comes to the amazon cutting board?

Depends on the exact board...

The better boards are not really plastic.... And they are more expensive obviously and they are easy on the blades...

This is what I use...

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/product ... x=0.0.3223

They are NSF-Certified.

http://www.nsf.org/consumer-resources/w ... ification/

You really do get what you pay for here.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Thank you, sir. Sometimes it’s real, sometimes it’s all hype. When I’m in the market for a new cutting board, I know who to talk to!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Ankerson wrote:
crazywednesday wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
crazywednesday wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Honestly, I started this thread with concern over wear on blade edge. Its interesting to me that this has morphed into sanitation. I probably wasnt specific enough. I have always considered "plastic" cutting boards more sanitary given same wash routine. There seems to be two schools of thought. 1) nobody has commented on increased wear on either type of cutting board. Maybe this is so negligible that nobody cares or it hasnt been studied enough for anyone to post on this forum. 2) biological contamination is more important to a type of cutting board that wear on the blade doesnt matter. I would like to propose; What type of cutting boards wear less on your kitchen knives?

The better boards are not really plastic.... And they are more expensive obviously and they are easy on the blades...

This is what I use...

They are NSF-Certified.

The boards you linked to are made of polypropylene, which most certainly *is* a plastic...

Not being an expert on polymers I would hesitate to suggest that polypropylene was easier on edges than any other polymer, but I would assume that PE and nylon *are* easier on edges than bamboo boards, since bamboo has a fair amount of silicon in its structure, either way the difference isn't huge.

I would argue that the differences in edge damage caused by wood vs. plastic cutting boards are less significant than the benefit of keeping your edges sharp as you use them, rather than letting your kitchen blades get dull before sharpening.

Another factor that will probably affect edge retention more than plastic/wood boards is cutting style; if you whack the edge down on the board with some force it's going to roll or dull the edge faster than a smooth rocking or push stroke. That fast "whack, whack, whack" cutting stroke may be a great way to process a ton of soft ingredients quickly, but it also contributes significantly to the need for frequent steeling of your knife.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
James Y

Post by James Y »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am
Ankerson wrote:
crazywednesday wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

This is what I use...

They are NSF-Certified.

The boards you linked to are made of polypropylene, which most certainly *is* a plastic...

Not being an expert on polymers I would hesitate to suggest that polypropylene was easier on edges than any other polymer, but I would assume that PE and nylon *are* easier on edges than bamboo boards, since bamboo has a fair amount of silicon in its structure, either way the difference isn't huge.

I would argue that the differences in edge damage caused by wood vs. plastic cutting boards are less significant than the benefit of keeping your edges sharp as you use them, rather than letting your kitchen blades get dull before sharpening.

Another factor that will probably affect edge retention more than plastic/wood boards is cutting style; if you whack the edge down on the board with some force it's going to roll or dull the edge faster than a smooth rocking or push stroke. That fast "whack, whack, whack" cutting stroke may be a great way to process a ton of soft ingredients quickly, but it also contributes significantly to the need for frequent steeling of your knife.
This is correct about cutting style. My board is plastic, and my cutting style is gentle. I don’t (or try not to) impact the edge against the board, yet I’m still able to cut at a pace that’s decent enough for me. My kitchen knives are Victorinox; my most-used is a 7” Santoku. I only need to touch up the edge once in a while. If my cutting style were more abrasive or impactful against the board, the touch-ups would need to be much more frequent.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey I got a question for you guys and gals who are culinary experts. What particular wood is best for making a cutting board if you want one made out of wood? Also for those of you who do prefer wood cutting boards what do you treat them with ( if anything)???

Also being I prefer the solid nylon cutting boards and I have been using them for at least 2 decades now. Why do most people look down on them???
I find the Nylon cutting boards much easier to clean, sanitize and maintain. So why so much negative talk about Nylon cutting boards?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:37 pm
Hey I got a question for you guys and gals who are culinary experts. What particular wood is best for making a cutting board if you want one made out of wood? Also for those of you who do prefer wood cutting boards what do you treat them with ( if anything)???

Also being I prefer the solid nylon cutting boards and I have been using them for at least 2 decades now. Why do most people look down on them???
I find the Nylon cutting boards much easier to clean, sanitize and maintain. So why so much negative talk about Nylon cutting boards?

Not using wood at all is best... You can't sanitize it, it's impossible....

MOST people actually don't look down on Nylon cutting boards.

It's just SOME of the ones on certain forums that are attached and sponsored by certain companies that sell wood boards... Word gets around and if things are repeated enough times by shills etc and parroted then it becomes the truth... No matter how wrong they all really are...

I am 54 and I have never used a wood cutting board and I never will.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:43 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

It's just SOME of the ones on certain forums that are attached and sponsored by certain companies that sell wood boards... Word gets around and if things are repeated enough times by shills etc and parroted then it becomes the truth... No matter how wrong they all really are...

Thanks Ankerson now I know for sure my thinking is not wrong. Because that was the biggest selling point that sold me on Nylon Cutting boards to begin with over 20 years ago. Also you could use bleach or any other disinfectant to sanitized the Nylon board before putting it away for storage.

Oh sure wood is more pretty to look at but I've always thought in the back of my head that wood could not hold up to hard use as well as a Nylon board could and ultimately had no real advantages. And sanitation is huge with me for a few reasons. Especially when dealing with fish, poultry, beef, pork ect>> Because raw meats can go bad quickly and leave a residue that can go rancid just as quickly. And Nylon is also easy on your knives and other tools as well.

So now my ultimate question is "Why The Fascination With Wood Cutting Boards"??? If they are impossible to completely sanitize? Or has common sense overtaken me completely :D :D ??
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:02 am
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:43 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Thanks Ankerson now I know for sure my thinking is not wrong. Because that was the biggest selling point that sold me on Nylon Cutting boards to begin with over 20 years ago. Also you could use bleach or any other disinfectant to sanitized the Nylon board before putting it away for storage.

Oh sure wood is more pretty to look at but I've always thought in the back of my head that wood could not hold up to hard use as well as a Nylon board could and ultimately had no real advantages. And sanitation is huge with me for a few reasons. Especially when dealing with fish, poultry, beef, pork ect>> Because raw meats can go bad quickly and leave a residue that can go rancid just as quickly. And Nylon is also easy on your knives and other tools as well.

So now my ultimate question is "Why The Fascination With Wood Cutting Boards"??? If they are impossible to completely sanitize? Or has common sense overtaken me completely :D :D ??

I really don't know.. :confused:

I have never heard one valid solid argument for using wood cutting boards in my life.

Food safety blows any of them out of the water in the end...

Why the big thing about $10,000 commercial grade stoves in a house?

and

$2,500 washing machines....
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Because some people like nice things. The additional cost of a nice stove, washing machine, car, knife, or cutting board might not be prohibitive to a particular segment of the population. Early on in this thread I provided links to a couple studies where the surfaces were swabbed, and wood showed less bacteria than plastic. But really, that whole argument is moot. My cutting boards, surfaces, and utensils are thoroughly washed and dried after each use, so contracting disease via that medium is rather improbable. So with that boogaboo laid to rest, I still favor natural wood because it lends a degree of artistic flair to culinary preparation. When I create a meal, I try to maintain freshness and authenticity in the ingredients as well as the tools used. To me, the use of plastic cutting boards is akin to cooking on an electric range, serving on paper plates, and drinking Bordeaux from Dixie cups. Ugh.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:10 pm
Because some people like nice things. The additional cost of a nice stove, washing machine, car, knife, or cutting board might not be prohibitive to a particular segment of the population. Early on in this thread I provided links to a couple studies where the surfaces were swabbed, and wood showed less bacteria than plastic. But really, that whole argument is moot. My cutting boards, surfaces, and utensils are thoroughly washed and dried after each use, so contracting disease via that medium is rather improbable. So with that boogaboo laid to rest, I still favor natural wood because it lends a degree of artistic flair to culinary preparation. When I create a meal, I try to maintain freshness and authenticity in the ingredients as well as the tools used. To me, the use of plastic cutting boards is akin to cooking on an electric range, serving on paper plates, and drinking Bordeaux from Dixie cups. Ugh.

Which is why commercial businesses use wood right?

They don't, NONE of them do.

I would be worried that all the data that is currently available is all based the same study done 40 years ago.

NOTHING NEW or current studies have been done, that is a problem with all of the current food issues we have these days.

They didn't have near the issues back then that are real serious problems today.

And there are much better materials that are also available today than back then.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Frankly, commercial food preparation businesses are set up so meet code requirements despite the sloppy practices of employees who might not be... the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I use wooden cutting boards, wooden utensils, a beautiful antique stove in a spacious kitchen, and have no need floor drains or stainless surfaces. If your dinner is prepared with style and panache in a commercial kitchen with signs on the restrooms so employees remember to wash their hands, that's great. Me? I'm perfectly content with wood, metal, ceramic, and glass.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:25 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Frankly, commercial food preparation businesses are set up so meet code requirements despite the sloppy practices of employees who might not be... the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I use wooden cutting boards, wooden utensils, a beautiful antique stove in a spacious kitchen, and have no need floor drains or stainless surfaces. If your dinner is prepared with style and panache in a commercial kitchen with signs on the restrooms so employees remember to wash their hands, that's great. Me? I'm perfectly content with wood, metal, ceramic, and glass.

The food issues of today don't care, especially the more serious ones believe me.

It only takes one time, just one and it could be permanent...

And it's a very bad way to go, long and painful...

To me it's just not worth the risk to be stylish...

CDC estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:37 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:25 pm
Ankerson wrote:

The food issues of today don't care, especially the more serious ones believe me.

It only takes one time, just one and it could be permanent...

And it's a very bad way to go, long and painful...

To me it's just not worth the risk to be stylish...

CDC estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases.

All from cutting boards?!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

For those of you wanting a wood cutting board, I really recommend checking out the Epicurean boards. They're not wood, but have a very similar feel and they're NSF approved.

https://www.epicureancs.com/product/com ... ng-boards/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Here is the cutting board I use here:

Image750_2550 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr