Chaparral Compression Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
afalcone

Chaparral Compression Lock?

Post by afalcone »

Just some late night thinking here. I'm sitting and wondering if this is even possible. I would be a beautiful thing to maintain the Chaparral's thickness (of lack there of) while still allowing it to have the one handed, fidget-friendly operation that the compression lock would allow. Thoughts?
sal

Re: Chaparral Compression Lock?

Post by sal »

Hi Afalcone,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

afalcone wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 am
Just some late night thinking here. I'm sitting and wondering if this is even possible. I would be a beautiful thing to maintain the Chaparral's thickness (of lack there of) while still allowing it to have the one handed, fidget-friendly operation that the compression lock would allow. Thoughts?
The sage series was meant to try different locks and the chaparral is for different scale materials and finishes. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:48 pm
afalcone wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 am
[/quote

The sage series was meant to try different locks and the chaparral is for different scale materials and finishes. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I know the chaparral is known for its variety of scales, but I've been waiting for spyderco to make a compression lock knife that has a thin blade like the chaparral. I know there is the ourosboros, but i would prefer a more practical blade shape. I would be even happier if they just made the pm2 blade stock thinner. I know it would be a bit more fragile, but it would be well worthy trade off for those of us that would like to carry a laser of a knife.
sal

Post by sal »

Compression Locks work best with enough distance in the ramp for wear. A thin blade reduces the ramp size.

sal
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I can easily operate my Chaparral with one hand. When i press the lock the blade free swings down and then i can just move my thumb and push the blade in. Also pretty fun to fidget with, just different than a compression lock knife. I love the snap sound of the back lock.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Rutger wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:06 pm
I can easily operate my Chaparral with one hand. When i press the lock the blade free swings down and then i can just move my thumb and push the blade in. Also pretty fun to fidget with, just different than a compression lock knife. I love the snap sound of the back lock.
^ Both my Chaparrals are the same. I'm very happy with the overall design including the lock. No need to change anything IMO.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

No, backlock is best.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

The Chap is a great form as is.
Spyder hole, Strong back lock, Easy one hand open close, Thin profile Laser blade,
Choil and Thumb ramp, Solid and Compact.
Great urban pocket knife or gentleman’s folder.
I would like to see some exotic Woods or Bone frames.

Also just my preference this knife is meant to be clipless
(unless for some reason you really need a clip)
it’s liberating to remove it.

On my titanium 3 step,
it melts into the hand without the clip,
and I wanna see that dang beautiful piece.
Last edited by RobDigi on Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 24 times in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Keep the Chap just as it is. Different handle materials is fun, XHP steel is great on this small knife as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

https://streamable.com/ey373

Backlocks fidget just fine :)
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

This is one of those knives you don't change. This knife design deserves to enjoy years of life the way it was designed. It is next to perfect for what it is meant to be.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Not sure why so many want to change the Chaparral into something it was never designed to be. Keep the lock, keep the steel and change up the scales every 12-18 months. Go pick apart a different knife, please.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:19 pm
https://streamable.com/ey373

Backlocks fidget just fine :)
Like this yes. And mine doesn't even need that wrist action to drop the blade. Can do this super fast.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

this_is_nascar wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:48 am
Not sure why so many want to change the Chaparral into something it was never designed to be. Keep the lock, keep the steel and change up the scales every 12-18 months. Go pick apart a different knife, please.
The Chap is a 7/8 (3/4?) scale Sage 4 with Sage 1 handles and a thin blade. The Native, Lil' Native, and even the Urban have essentially the same grip lines. The Sages and the Chap have a ramp that's intermediate between the no thumb ramp Natives and the high thumb ramp of the Urban (and many other Spydies). The Chaparral is another variant of the frequently tweaked classic Sal design with a really thin blade. I think people want that classic design and thin blade format with other lock types, so they just say Chaparral with x,y,z lock to communicate it more succinctly. Maybe that's lazy, and it clearly annoys some die hard Chap fans.

On the bright side, look at Sal's comment above. Apparently the Chap is too thin to work with a compression lock, so you don't have to worry about it.

Now we just need a Chaparral with a BBL or CBBL. Or a Chaparral RIL with a flipper tab and ball bearing pivot. That would be super cool. :D :p
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

With all the talk of what could replace a Chaparral, I start to think that only a Chaparral can replace a Chaparral. I see Sal’s comment but I guess I don’t see anything wrong with near 100% lock up. I would ultimately like to see the Chaparral in compression lock, but having this thin blade in a variety of locks like the Lil Native and Manix would be amazing.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
araneae

Post by araneae »

Why not ask for a lil native with a thinner blade stock? I'm with the majority, the chap shouldn't be messed with.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

araneae wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:01 pm
Why not ask for a lil native with a thinner blade stock? I'm with the majority, the chap shouldn't be messed with.
I answered that a year ago.
"The Chap is a 7/8 (3/4?) scale Sage 4 with Sage 1 handles and a thin blade. The Native, Lil' Native, and even the Urban have essentially the same grip lines. The Sages and the Chap have a ramp that's intermediate between the no thumb ramp Natives and the high thumb ramp of the Urban (and many other Spydies). The Chaparral is another variant of the frequently tweaked classic Sal design with a really thin blade. I think people want that classic design and thin blade format with other lock types, so they just say Chaparral with x,y,z lock to communicate it more succinctly. Maybe that's lazy, and it clearly annoys some die hard Chap fans."

I really don't get why some people get so bent out of shape about adding a variant of an existing knife. I don't think anyone is saying Spyderco should discontinue the back lock Chap and replace it with an RIL Chap - even though I'd be totally for that since the Sage 2 is discontinued and I'm not a fan of backlocks. But I'm not advocating that. Not yet anyway :p
araneae

Post by araneae »

I was responding to the previous comment asking for "having this thin blade in a variety of locks like the Lil Native and Manix would be amazing." ;)
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

That wasn't clear to me because you also wrote that you're in the don't mess with the Chap camp, which goes to back to further into the thread than just the last post. This is also an example of why my double PhD friend, who used to run a major USDA diagnostic lab, says I'm one of the most analytical people they know. :o