ESEE Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
marty_bill_

Re: ESEE Knives

Post by marty_bill_ »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:17 pm
marty_bill_ wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am
20191023_115135-1440x1920.jpgIzula
Izula ll
CR 2.5
AGK
These are the 4 I have and they are great. Esee makes great knives and have awesome ergonomics for me. Definitely a workhorse knife company for real users. They are some great folks and back up what they sell. My CR2.5 is with me bout everyday. I've paid a lot more for other knives. But my Esee's get the nod. I'd never be afraid to be stuck in the bush with an Esee.
That's a nice looking edge on your CR 2.5. I think I saw that model last time I was at a local store that carries ESEE. I think I'm going to swing by today and see if they still have any in stock.

Do they sell those kydex sheaths with the knife? I was only seeing leather options on the couple of sites I checked out.
Thanks, it's from RK Custom Kydex. Armatuscarry also makes great kydex for Esee as well. I got the little ferro rod off Amazon. Here's something I found Friggin hilarious:

Busse Knives
Steel dominates the conversation here. As in INFI steel. No one knows what INFI steel is so don't let that disturb you, just nod knowingly with a 1,000 yard stare as you contemplate just how awesome INFI steel is. The main hobby of Busse fans is the acquisition of another Busse knife that cost more than the last one. In an odd mating ritual, raffles are conducted where a lovesick fan is bestowed the right to pay more for knife than any other person. If you find yourself in this frenzied mania, get down on all fours with the rest of the grown men and fight, son, FIGHT for your right to be fleeced! This is really the grand sum of the activities of the Busse culture since it has not been determined if anyone has actually ever USED a Busse to cut something.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks for the tip on the sheaths.

I've owned a few Busse's, Swamp Rat's and Scrapyards. I've reprofiled them and tested the **** out of them over years. I still own an S7 Scrapyard Dogfather with an Okuden sheath. Hand convexed to hair popping sharpness. It's a great knife but if I'm being completely honest the SR7 doesn't seem to work any better or worse than 1095 choppers I've used. Both steels in a knife with those dimensions will chop and baton hardwoods all day without breaking a sweat, and both will dull quickly slicing double wall cardboard, and both will roll if you baton them through steel (don't ask :p)

I think Busse family knives perform well and are very well made, but I don't find their performance head and shoulders over ESEE.

My biggest gripe with their knives is how ridiculous trying to buy one is.

Let's say I decide I DO want another Scrapyard with a ~5" blade. Let's take a look at my options:

Ok, great. Well, let's try Busse and Swamprat?

So between three companies, they literally have one knife model for sale. If I want something like my Izula 2, too bad.

It's a 5.25" blade knife for $168. Bit pricier than an ESEE 4/5/6, and IIRC no Busse family knife ever comes with a sheath (None of mine did from the factory, I had to custom order some from sheath makers).

So I can pay another $50 for a knife that won't perform a whole lot better, and still need to drop another $50 for a sheath or make one.

Oh, and I might not get it for over half a year.
Due to the consistent and exceptionally high demand along with the nature of the manufacturing process, Busse Combat Knives and its subsidiaries can only provide a rough time frame for shipment. This time frame can range from 6 weeks to as much as 32 weeks.
Like I said, I like their knives, can't say a bad thing about them. I've used everything from a mud puppy, scrapper 4 in INFI, scrapper 5 in SR101 I believe, my S7 Dogfather, a few Battle Mistresses and I've chopped some dead trees down with their swords. They do a good heat treat and the craftsmanship is there. Little pricey but not too crazy when you buy them direct from factory and stick to actual knives rather than choppers.

It's their business model that's the reason I stopped buying their knives. It'd be like if the only Spydercos sold were the sprint runs that sell out in four minutes. I don't care how good your product is if that's how they're going to be sold.
:unicorn
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Yeah, I agree. I have 1 Busse. A mini meanstreet. Its alright, but my Esee's get way more use than it. Design and ergos play alot into a knife for me. For myself the CR2.5 is great because I use it for small tasks or fine cutting tasks, its easily accessible, and is easy to put an edge on. Then I keep my P4 in my rf pocket and got it for other stuff. I do usually get a different sheath for my Esee's, but some do come with quality leather and others with injection molded sheaths. I just prefer kydex.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:44 pm
Thanks for the tip on the sheaths.

I've owned a few Busse's, Swamp Rat's and Scrapyards. I've reprofiled them and tested the **** out of them over years. I still own an S7 Scrapyard Dogfather with an Okuden sheath. Hand convexed to hair popping sharpness. It's a great knife but if I'm being completely honest the SR7 doesn't seem to work any better or worse than 1095 choppers I've used. Both steels in a knife with those dimensions will chop and baton hardwoods all day without breaking a sweat, and both will dull quickly slicing double wall cardboard, and both will roll if you baton them through steel (don't ask :p)

I think Busse family knives perform well and are very well made, but I don't find their performance head and shoulders over ESEE.

My biggest gripe with their knives is how ridiculous trying to buy one is.

Let's say I decide I DO want another Scrapyard with a ~5" blade. Let's take a look at my options:

Ok, great. Well, let's try Busse and Swamprat?

So between three companies, they literally have one knife model for sale. If I want something like my Izula 2, too bad.

It's a 5.25" blade knife for $168. Bit pricier than an ESEE 4/5/6, and IIRC no Busse family knife ever comes with a sheath (None of mine did from the factory, I had to custom order some from sheath makers).

So I can pay another $50 for a knife that won't perform a whole lot better, and still need to drop another $50 for a sheath or make one.

Oh, and I might not get it for over half a year.
Due to the consistent and exceptionally high demand along with the nature of the manufacturing process, Busse Combat Knives and its subsidiaries can only provide a rough time frame for shipment. This time frame can range from 6 weeks to as much as 32 weeks.
Like I said, I like their knives, can't say a bad thing about them. I've used everything from a mud puppy, scrapper 4 in INFI, scrapper 5 in SR101 I believe, my S7 Dogfather, a few Battle Mistresses and I've chopped some dead trees down with their swords. They do a good heat treat and the craftsmanship is there. Little pricey but not too crazy when you buy them direct from factory and stick to actual knives rather than choppers.

It's their business model that's the reason I stopped buying their knives. It'd be like if the only Spydercos sold were the sprint runs that sell out in four minutes. I don't care how good your product is if that's how they're going to be sold.

All you have to do is go over to Blade Forums, the Busse Forum.

That and their Site and sign up for the news letter.

They have new models coming out all the time, every month. ;)

You get info on Busse, Scrap Yard and Swamp Rat...

Very easy.

They have been doing Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard models in INFI lately too....
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:27 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:17 pm
marty_bill_ wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am
20191023_115135-1440x1920.jpgIzula
Izula ll
CR 2.5
AGK
These are the 4 I have and they are great. Esee makes great knives and have awesome ergonomics for me. Definitely a workhorse knife company for real users. They are some great folks and back up what they sell. My CR2.5 is with me bout everyday. I've paid a lot more for other knives. But my Esee's get the nod. I'd never be afraid to be stuck in the bush with an Esee.
That's a nice looking edge on your CR 2.5. I think I saw that model last time I was at a local store that carries ESEE. I think I'm going to swing by today and see if they still have any in stock.

Do they sell those kydex sheaths with the knife? I was only seeing leather options on the couple of sites I checked out.
Thanks, it's from RK Custom Kydex. Armatuscarry also makes great kydex for Esee as well. I got the little ferro rod off Amazon. Here's something I found Friggin hilarious:

Busse Knives
Steel dominates the conversation here. As in INFI steel. No one knows what INFI steel is so don't let that disturb you, just nod knowingly with a 1,000 yard stare as you contemplate just how awesome INFI steel is. The main hobby of Busse fans is the acquisition of another Busse knife that cost more than the last one. In an odd mating ritual, raffles are conducted where a lovesick fan is bestowed the right to pay more for knife than any other person. If you find yourself in this frenzied mania, get down on all fours with the rest of the grown men and fight, son, FIGHT for your right to be fleeced! This is really the grand sum of the activities of the Busse culture since it has not been determined if anyone has actually ever USED a Busse to cut something.

Someone hasn't been paying attention then.. ;)

A lot of people use their Busse knives, and use them hard.

As for buying one it's easy, they come out with a new model every month that is available from Busse.

Join their news letter and visit Blade Forums for information.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Handsome knives!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
vivi

Post by vivi »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:46 pm
Yeah, I agree. I have 1 Busse. A mini meanstreet. Its alright, but my Esee's get way more use than it. Design and ergos play alot into a knife for me. For myself the CR2.5 is great because I use it for small tasks or fine cutting tasks, its easily accessible, and is easy to put an edge on. Then I keep my P4 in my rf pocket and got it for other stuff. I do usually get a different sheath for my Esee's, but some do come with quality leather and others with injection molded sheaths. I just prefer kydex.
They didn't have one at the shop I went to but I'm going to put it on my list of knives to check out next time I get a chance. It looks handy. Somehow flew under my radar until you mentioned it.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I can take or leave them but lean towards leave them because I don't like the edge geometry and reckon they slice like hairy goats. :rolleyes:

I would however like to play with the 10" Junglas. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I have a Izula II, as well as a BK14 (which is half Esee).

I really like both of them, and honestly would love to see the Izula II handle with the BK14 blade shape.

The Izula's ergos are great, and I really like it in that size range. I haven't tried any larger Esees, so no input there.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:33 pm
I can take or leave them but lean towards leave them because I don't like the edge geometry and reckon they slice like hairy goats. :rolleyes:

Yeah, before thinning out the edge they really don't cut too well, haha. I made a test video with that 6HM when it was brand new and it wanted to bounce more than anything on a chop:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ezDV6pS3qIM

I need to make a new video to compare performance between the factory edge and the thinner, sharper edge I gave it. It slips right through small branches and misc vegetation now.

Funny thing is I have a few customs from a maker I won't name that came with significantly worse edges than ESEE. Thicker AND blunt :eek:

The Junglas looks really fun. I'd like to put one head to head against my Dogfather one day.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:54 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Yeah, before thinning out the edge they really don't cut too well, haha. I made a test video with that 6HM when it was brand new and it wanted to bounce more than anything on a chop:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ezDV6pS3qIM

I need to make a new video to compare performance between the factory edge and the thinner, sharper edge I gave it. It slips right through small branches and misc vegatation now.

Funny thing is I have a few customs from a maker I won't name that came with significantly worse edges than ESEE. Thicker AND blunt :eek:

The Junglas looks really fun. I'd like to put one head to head against my Dogfather one day.

Some of them do grind them thick.

I never will understand that. :confused:
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

To answer your previous question, when I was talking about uncoated Izula 2's, I just meant not that thick traction coating. They have them with a backwash. I don't know what it is but it looks like that blackwash Kershaw uses. I won't mind that. Just Can't get behind that truck bed liner.

Also, I'm picking up my Casstrom Safari tomorrow. Its being held for me. It is that one you posted the link to, Vivi. Except I got it with black g10 and a leather sheath. Got it for $70 so it felt like a steal, though the steel is just 12c27. Shouldn't matter for my uses for it though. I'll let you know how it is. I'll be comparing it against my Lon Humphrey Tropen, LTW Patriot, and Arno Bernard Galago.

Also, just want to throw it out there, Lon Humphtey's knives have been very good to me.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm fond of 12C27. One of the quickest and easiest steels to get razor sharp. Sounds like you got a killer deal on that knife, looks very well made.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:31 pm
I'm fond of 12C27. One of the quickest and easiest steels to get razor sharp. Sounds like you got a killer deal on that knife, looks very well made.
Now that I think of it, I've had good experienced with it on Opinels.

I will probably get the Izula or the CR2.5. I love small knives like those. Even if they're ground thicker, they can't be worse than a TOPS. Those boys are thicc.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
benben

Post by benben »

Vivi, don't know if you remember the post.....I bought a 3HM for our youth pastor at our church. That's my only dealing with ESEE, I remember telling my wife when it came time to give it to him "I think I'm going to get him something different and keep this for me!" I was overruled on that one!

That little fixed blade felt awesome in hand! This youth pastor is a young guy, late twenty's, he's taken that 3HM camping several times now, he told me he had no idea just what a great knife was supposed to feel like, until now!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I find them too thick. I also dislike their thick coatings. I was underwhelmed by my Izula when I got it and even after thinning the edge out I still didn’t find it very useful.

The Junglas is nice and I may get one someday but I already have a few choppers. I still want a 6HM but I think it will be too thick for my tastes so I might just get a BHK Highlander or Scout Platoon instead.

I don’t mind 1095 or1095CV. I have most of the Ka-Bar/Becker knives and like them quite a bit. With a BK9, BK12, BK16 and BK14 in my arsenal I just don’t have too much desire for any of the Esee products.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

benben wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 am
Vivi, don't know if you remember the post.....I bought a 3HM for our youth pastor at our church. That's my only dealing with ESEE, I remember telling my wife when it came time to give it to him "I think I'm going to get him something different and keep this for me!" I was overruled on that one!

That little fixed blade felt awesome in hand! This youth pastor is a young guy, late twenty's, he's taken that 3HM camping several times now, he told me he had no idea just what a great knife was supposed to feel like, until now!
Benben, I do remember that post. I still plan to get a 3HM based on how much I like my 6. Very nice handle shape.
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:30 am
I find them too thick. I also dislike their thick coatings. I was underwhelmed by my Izula when I got it and even after thinning the edge out I still didn’t find it very useful.

The Junglas is nice and I may get one someday but I already have a few choppers. I still want a 6HM but I think it will be too thick for my tastes so I might just get a BHK Highlander or Scout Platoon instead.

I don’t mind 1095 or1095CV. I have most of the Ka-Bar/Becker knives and like them quite a bit. With a BK9, BK12, BK16 and BK14 in my arsenal I just don’t have too much desire for any of the Esee products.
I'm not wild about the Izula sized knives being so thick, but on the 6HM and other large knives it can make it a little more versatile. Better for chopping and batoning of any sort, which is one of the advantages 6" blades have over 4" IMO.

I have a lot of thinner, lighter knives for hikes where I plan on doing more moving than messing around with knives.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree. I have handled most of the Esee knives and the 6HM and Junglas were the ones that seemed like their size justified their overbuilt style.

I just already have a lot of survival knives and they don’t see enough use. Well, except the BK9, it is well loved. :) I have kind of been won over by a few thin Bark Rivers in the past year or two. Between the BK9 and my Bark Rivers I am pretty satisfied.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
benben

Post by benben »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:44 am
benben wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 am

Benben, I do remember that post. I still plan to get a 3HM based on how much I like my 6. Very nice handle shape.
I've been meaning to pick me up a small fixed blade, and was pretty sure it would be that 3HM.....but I got to handle an uncoated Camp-Lore JG3 at a huge gun shop in Charlotte, that's the one I'll probably get!

https://www.knifeworks.com/fixed-blade- ... heath.html

I've also been looking at some 3V and M4 Bark River knives, but they're easily double the price of that JG3!