Cutting boards

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Cutting boards

Post by Ankerson »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:41 pm
I think for the last 20 years or so, we've used cheap bamboo. Never any hygiene issue I'm aware of. We replace them every 5 years or so.

Before that we had a couple fancy wood boards.
Briefly tried the plastic ones somewhere along the line. Wife and I both hated them.

It only takes once.... ;)

And no I am not kidding..

There are and have been serious problems in the food industry and they are getting worse, not better..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 am
RustyIron wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 pm
For all you wood board afficionados:
After years of use, wood acquires a dish. A small board can be run through a planer. A bigger cutting surface might need something more aggressive, like a belt sander. Cutting on a concave surface blows. Cutting on a flat surface is glorious.
After all that hassle wouldn't it just be time to get a new wood board? Now like I said I myself prefer one of the newer nylon or polymer type boards. I find them much easier to sanitize and they seem to clean up easier too.

However I've often wondered which type of wood makes a better cutting board if you desire to use a wooden board? I've also wondered if "linseed" oil or some other type of oil would not only preserve the wood but would also make it easier to keep clean and sanitary?
Linseed would be toxic. Bees wax is good. There is a cutting board treatment that is beeswax and food grade mineral oil. I’ve fogotten the brand but ACE carries it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:33 am
jpm2 wrote:
I think for the last 20 years or so, we've used cheap bamboo. Never any hygiene issue I'm aware of. We replace them every 5 years or so.

Briefly tried the plastic ones somewhere along the line. Wife and I both hated them.

There are and have been serious problems in the food industry and they are getting worse, not better..
You’re right about that! It only takes once.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:21 am
Ankerson wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

You’re right about that! It only takes once.

I don't think people really understand how serious it really is today.

It's just not worth the risk...

There is no such thing as being too careful these days.

It's like playing Russian roulette...

It's not just meat either, not these days..
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Ankerson wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

Yeah it's always in the back of my mind about that stuff. I guess we're pretty careful about washing and sterilizing. The boards get rotated with use and after washing and drying, they get a weak bleach treatment then sit in the window sil to dry and catch sun.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:00 pm
Ankerson wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

Yeah it's always in the back of my mind about that stuff. I guess we're pretty careful about washing and sterilizing. The boards get rotated with use and after washing and drying, they get a weak bleach treatment then sit in the window sil to dry and catch sun.

They are still wood though, and wood is not as good as the other materials for being sanitary.

If you buy good quality boards they are nice.

The problem is you just never know these days..

Better safe than the other options, none of those are good in any way.

The really bad thing about the problems is they are NOT fixing them, they are doing work arounds. Trying to smart their way around them, that is NOT working. Things are still getting worse as time goes on.

FIXING the problems cost MONEY, work arounds cost NOTHING.... Think about that one for a minute.... And think about what is running the whole food industry today. And the only thing that matters to them.... Safety ain't it... ;)

The recalls or issues are found only after something happens... That means after the consumers already have it.... Your Grocery Store is a customer too.....

Or if an honest inspector (One that isn't in their pocket) just happens to find it just by luck..... Good luck with that one most of the time...

These huge conglomerates control it all, they are massive and have power all the way into the highest parts of the GOV.....
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bacteria love to hide in the wood grains.

Another issue is that wood, being wood, will naturally soak up moisture and bacteria love that. It makes a fertile breeding ground.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:24 am
Bacteria love to hide in the wood grains.

Another issue is that wood, being wood, will naturally soak up moisture and bacteria love that. It makes a fertile breeding ground.

There really is no way around it either using wood as a cutting board never really was a good idea..
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Thank you guys. I do believe that using wood cutting boards because they are safer is a common misconception. I’ve been chastised for my “plastic” cutting boards and told many times that I should use wood instead.... I can put mine in the dishwasher after use, my train of thought has always followed what I have now read here.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 am
Thank you guys. I do believe that using wood cutting boards because they are safer is a common misconception. I’ve been chastised for my “plastic” cutting boards and told many times that I should use wood instead.... I can put mine in the dishwasher after use, my train of thought has always followed what I have now read here.

Those people that chastised you have no clue what they are talking about whatsoever. ;)

I tell people get a good quality Synthetic cutting board, stay away from the cheap ones however.

Wood seems to be the "thing" for those who are clueless, they just blindly follow the crowd, whatever the current trend seems to be. :rolleyes:

I have NEVER used a wood cutting board, I have been in the food industry MOST of my life.. There is no way I would ever use one.... NEVER....

Knowing what I know about food safety and the issues....
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 am
prndltech wrote:

Those people that chastised you have no clue what they are talking about whatsoever. ;)

I tell people get a good quality Synthetic cutting board, stay away from the cheap ones however.

Wood seems to be the "thing" for those who are clueless, they just blindly follow the crowd, whatever the current trend seems to be. :rolleyes:

I have NEVER used a wood cutting board, I have been in the food industry MOST of my life.. There is no way I would ever use one.... NEVER....

I just asked the guy that works next to me, randomly what kinda cutting board he uses and he said synthetic, with a similar thought process to what’s been said here. Neither one of us had really thought much about it. But it makes sense.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 am
prndltech wrote:

I just asked the guy that works next to me, randomly what kinda cutting board he uses and he said synthetic, with a similar thought process to what’s been said here. Neither one of us had really thought much about it. But it makes sense.

The 1st cutting board I ever owned was one from a Grocery Store meat department that we cut down for some of us.

The store got new ones, so we kept the old ones and cut them up in good sizes to people that wanted them.

Food safety was a large part of my job, a very large part. I would do daily inspections, twice a day, every day. Then inspect the perishable depts at closing everyday.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:19 am

The 1st cutting board I ever owned was one from a Grocery Store meat department that we cut down for some of us.

The store got new ones, so we kept the old ones and cut them up in good sizes to people that wanted them.
I think it doesn’t cross most people’s minds... maybe I’m wrong in that, but I feel like that’s probably the case.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:27 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:19 am

I think it doesn’t cross most people’s minds... maybe I’m wrong in that, but I feel like that’s probably the case.

People don't think about it.

They just go the way the crowd goes and that is usually a mistake.

Most people giving advice really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to food safety..

I just got rid of a whole silverware set, supposed to be stainless, but it was a rust magnet. I through it all out and got a new set. :rolleyes:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

IMG_20191023_201415.jpg
Ours! 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:30 am
Most people giving advice really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to food safety..
I think there’s a lot of truth in your statement, particularly in a commercial kitchen.

No doubt your statement rings true for the average punter using a chopping board at home too though I do feel a little common sense goes a long way. I certainly can’t say for certain but a chopping board used in the home which is cleaned thoroughly after each use dried, and subjected to UV light (from the sun) likely poses way less of a health hazard than say travelling on public transport.

All said, plucked if I know, but I certainly don’t fear for my family’s health because of the chopping board used in our home. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

crazywednesday wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:02 pm
Unapologetically I haven't even googled this.

What cutting board are you using and why? Which cutting boards wear on blade edges the least?
Honestly, I started this thread with concern over wear on blade edge. Its interesting to me that this has morphed into sanitation. I probably wasnt specific enough. I have always considered "plastic" cutting boards more sanitary given same wash routine. There seems to be two schools of thought. 1) nobody has commented on increased wear on either type of cutting board. Maybe this is so negligible that nobody cares or it hasnt been studied enough for anyone to post on this forum. 2) biological contamination is more important to a type of cutting board that wear on the blade doesnt matter. I would like to propose; What type of cutting boards wear less on your kitchen knives?
Justin
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:35 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:30 am
I think there’s a lot of truth in your statement, particularly in a commercial kitchen.

No doubt your statement rings true for the average punter using a chopping board at home too though I do feel a little common sense goes a long way. I certainly can’t say for certain but a chopping board used in the home which is cleaned thoroughly after each use dried, and subjected to UV light (from the sun) likely poses way less of a health hazard than say travelling on public transport.

All said, plucked if I know, but I certainly don’t fear for my family’s health because of the chopping board used in our home. :)

You can't in any way get around the wood aspect, it's totally impossible unless you used a NEW board every time.

Stuff gets down into the wood pores and there is NOTHING that you can really do to fix that.

Wood soaks up water and everything else, it's just the nature of wood.

It is your choice in the end what to use.

It's like onions, MOST people don't know they soak up all kinds of bad stuff that can make you sick.

Once they are cut anything left over needs to be thrown out.
Last edited by Ankerson on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

crazywednesday wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 pm
crazywednesday wrote:

What cutting board are you using and why? Which cutting boards wear on blade edges the least?
Honestly, I started this thread with concern over wear on blade edge. Its interesting to me that this has morphed into sanitation. I probably wasnt specific enough. I have always considered "plastic" cutting boards more sanitary given same wash routine. There seems to be two schools of thought. 1) nobody has commented on increased wear on either type of cutting board. Maybe this is so negligible that nobody cares or it hasnt been studied enough for anyone to post on this forum. 2) biological contamination is more important to a type of cutting board that wear on the blade doesnt matter. I would like to propose; What type of cutting boards wear less on your kitchen knives?

Synthetic actually wears less as long as you get good high quality boards.

The cheap crap is more plastic and is harder on the edges.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:22 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 pm
crazywednesday wrote:

Synthetic actually wears less as long as you get good high quality boards.

The cheap crap is more plastic and is harder on the edges.
How does one know quality vs cheap when it comes to the amazon cutting board?
Justin