Slide cut for reflex sight

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Slide cut for reflex sight

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Has anybody done this on here? What are your opinions on it?

I carry .357 revolvers with iron sights as my woods guns. I have wanted a Glock20 (10mm) for many years. I might pull the trigger soon and get one and I have been researching putting a small reflex sight on it.

It will be for protection mainly but I may take a shot on a deer with it inside of 50 yards if the opportunity presents itself. With my GP100 using iron sights and the Barnes 140 grain load I would be comfortable shooting a deer at 30 yards although I haven’t actually done it. I am hoping a reflex sight on a Glock might stretch that out just a little while still being a good gun for protection. Coyotes and black bears around here. I got charged by a little 80+ pound bear a few weeks ago. :eek:

Thoughts? Pros? Cons? I’m not really looking for opinions on handgun hunting. I’m just looking for opinions on the usefulness of a reflex sight on a pistol as well as opinions on the milling of slides. Thanks!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Re: Slide cut for reflex sight

Post by ChrisinHove »

Charged by a bear????!!!!!!!

Cripes!
bearfacedkiller

Ha, full disclosure, I am unsure if he knew I was there. It was windy and raining and I was in some dense woods. I think I may have pushed him up the mountain and then circled around above him without knowing it. They rely on smell and sound and due to the rain and wind he probably didn't know I was there. I think he was only running because he was going up a steep hill?

I heard a branch snap and turned my head and he was about fifteen yards away cresting the ridge. He was running towards me but I yelled at him and he stutter stepped and ran the other way. It all happen really fast but it looked like I startled him (he definitely startled me :eek:) when I yelled so I don't think he had seen me until then. I don't know really?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I suppose it depends on barrel length and ammo used, but there is a significant difference btw the .357 and 10mm in velocity and ft/lbs of energy at 25 yards. I'd carry 10mm if I was you...it should stop a bear on the 1st round and if not then empty the mag.

158 gr, 1,240 ft/s, 539 ft⋅lb

10mm
220gr, 1200fps, 703 ft-lb
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bearfacedkiller

I consider them in the same class. You just compared a standard .357 load to Buffalo Bore's 10MM load. Not a fair comparison. I have some Buffalo Bore 180 grain .357 loads and they make 783 ft/lbs plus they far out penetrate the 10mm. My standard load is my own handloaded 158 grain hardcast over a bunch of 2400. It should go from nose to tail on most anything. The only reason I want the glock is, well, I just want the Glock. :)

The only 10MM Glock with MOS is the long slide model. I am not too interested in the longer model. I like the idea of milling the slide and having a low mount reflex sight that can co-witness with the iron sights. Just wondering what the drawbacks would be?

Any insight about reflex sights, Glock's MOS or slide milling? That is what I am curious about.
-Darby
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I thought Glock made a 10mm with the slide already milled? I could swear I saw one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

My worthless 2 cents. I hunt archery elk, rifle deer and various small game/birds; I always carry a G20. 15 rounds 700+ ft lbs of 220 grain hard cast (Underwood Ammo). We have lots of cats and bears in the PNW, wolves are becoming the new hotness too. If you want an optics ready 10mm Glock, I would wait for the Gen 5 to come out. It will be optics ready, but will probably have a new number. I'm guessing it will be in 2020 or 2021.
Justin
bearfacedkiller

Thanks CW!

I would prefer to wait for a Gen5. They have a gen4 with the optics cut but it is the longer barreled model. I have used red dots a little but not the little reflex sights. I may pick up a Fastfire3 and mount it on a revolver for now just to see if I like it.

I always figured that if I couldn’t get myself out of trouble with 5-6 rounds then I probably was out of luck anyway. I also love the reliability of my revolvers. However, if I can carry 15 rounds of comparable firepower in a lighter and easier to carry package, then why not?
-Darby
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Have you looked at C-More? If I recall rightly, that's what most all open class shooters used when I was active.
Would you get the 3 or 8 moa fastfire?

My only 10mm is a colt delta elite. It was my side arm during all hunts.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:55 am
I always figured that if I couldn’t get myself out of trouble with 5-6 rounds then I probably was out of luck anyway. I also love the reliability of my revolvers. However, if I can carry 15 rounds of comparable firepower in a lighter and easier to carry package, then why not?

Not just that but for me the difference in trigger action makes me much more accurate and consistent. Maybe it's all in what you're used to but before 2016 I had never owned a semi auto and had only really ever shot revolvers. I just find them much easier and more natural to shoot and feel like that's pretty important if you're standing down a bear.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I have two Glocks I have had milled for Trijicon RMR's. Suarez International did the work and it was done well.
One pistol is my hunting rig and is a G21 .45 Super/.460 Rowland with custom brake. This gun has killed a running wounded elk at 180yds.
(My buddy was guiding an elk hunt in N. NM and client made a bad shot and cow elk took off. He quickly pulled the G21 and hit her in the right rear hip running away. 275gr hard cast ended up in far shoulder after penetrating neatly 4ft!
My guns have the RM02 which is an adjustable 3.5moa dot. Works super well for precision shooting.
I would recommend either a G20 in 10mm or better yet G21 .45 super with an Trijicon RMR. If people are interested I can go into greater detail. All in all makes a super hunting side arm. I can ding the 200m gong about 80% off hand.
(185gr Barnes all copper HP@1450fps)
gac

Post by gac »

I've seen XD 10mm with slide cuts and Vortex red dots included on sale. I assume getting an existing slide cut behemoth would be pricey, but I don't know for sure. I have read adverts of places you can mail the slide to.
bearfacedkiller

This thread is full of helpful info! Thanks guys!

I am going to get a S&W 69 with the 4.25 inch barrel now and wait for a Gen5 Glock20. I will decide then if I want to get the slide milled or buy one already milled by Glock.

I am also going to get a 3moa Fastfire and mount it on either my GP100 or the S&W 69 when I get it.

With the holidays coming it may take me a little while to make it all happen anyway. Thanks for all the help!
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

I am out of the loop. I didn’t know that there was an XD in 10mm. I will likely still wait for the Glock.
-Darby
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Competition shooter mill their slides like this. I don’t see any reason why you can’t.

I have never liked the balance of the XD and prefer the Glock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Have you looked at 460 Rowland? I own Glocks in both 10mm and 460 Rowland and if I needed bear protection I'd want to be carrying the 460.

How deep is your underbrush? Any chance of snagging the reflex site own something you are pushing through?
benben

Post by benben »

Hey Darby, just curious why you're not interested in the long slide Glock 40 MOS, too unwieldy? I do understand your protection point of view, but it seems to be a better choice for taking that shot at a deer, or hog.
bearfacedkiller

I am mostly just looking for something that is easier to carry with power similar to the .357 that I usually carry. Having the extra rounds is great too.

The .460 Rowland looks like more than I am after. I thought about getting a G21 so I would have more conversion options. I could make a 10mm or a .460 Rowland later on if I wanted.

The Glock 40 would be a better hunting gun but I think I would rather have the easier to carry G20? But this will never be a CCW so maybe I should go with the G40? The G40 looks like it is quite a bit more expensive so getting a G20 milled will cost about the same. Hmmm...
-Darby
benben

Post by benben »

Don’t know what resources you have on new Glocks, I just priced a Glock 40 from Davidson’s to my FFL, it was $700.00 and this combination is usually the cheapest when I’m looking! I’ve never priced a G40 before, yeah it’s pricier than your “standard” Glocks!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Personally, I would go with the EAA/Tangfolio Witness in 10mm (or 38 super) but I can't stand Glocks.

Am interested in reflex sights. Well, I forgot I was interested in them until this thread. I will be checking them out now.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!