Open Back Construction

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

Re: Open Back Construction

Post by JacksonKnives »

Marulaghost wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:57 am
As someone born in South Africa I have to say i do enjoy hearing of Spyderco involving us in your industry (or at the least trying to)
When I read the description for the matriarch it makes me quite happy how you designed it with us in mind.
The chokwe even though it's from Zambia brings a smile to my face.

This might not be the thread for this question but i have to ask if you've considered any collaborations with some knife makers from SA.
Des Horn is the most prominent. Could be others, Sal is good at making friends all over, but national ties tend to get downplayed in retail advertising so it's an easy detail to miss.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I bet the true history of it would be hard to trace. There was probably some very old friction folder that might have had the handle carved out into an open design. It certainly got popular after people started deviating from lockbacks and slipjoints.
There is a version of the sog twitch 2 that is a mid backlock flipper. The backspacer at the bottom could possibly be replaced with standoffs and you could get a mostly flow through mid backlock knife. However from a design point I would rather not compromise the integrity of a good backlock in order just to accomodate a flipper or standoff construction.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Thanks guys I missed the beginning of the open backs being sold when do you think it started in the 1990's ? I do not ever recall seeing any of them until much much later. The first I came in contact were sold by Chris Reeve and I immediately understood the practicality and functionality of the design and how it made keeping things cleaner so much easier.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:18 am
I bet the true history of it would be hard to trace. There was probably some very old friction folder that might have had the handle carved out into an open design. It certainly got popular after people started deviating from lockbacks and slipjoints.
There is a version of the sog twitch 2 that is a mid backlock flipper. The backspacer at the bottom could possibly be replaced with standoffs and you could get a mostly flow through mid backlock knife. However from a design point I would rather not compromise the integrity of a good backlock in order just to accomodate a flipper or standoff construction.
Off topic, but another interesting backlock configuration is the Introvert. Check it out if you don't know it already. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Black/999
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Oh yeah. Completely forgot about the introvert.
I always liked the design of it but I just never could see myself carrying it.
Still no idea on the timeframe of standoff construction becoming commonplace. Certainly sometime between right now and spyderco pretty much setting the standard that most modern pocket knives have been following. (Pocket clip, one hand operation, locking, possible serrations)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Interesting that spydie fans want to know about both the development of the designs and the etymologies of their name origins. I never knew when I signed on here that it would be such an intellectual forum :D but I much like it.

Open or partially open construction of the different lock types is definitely a plus for me -- the more open the better. But it's not a deal breaker -- I still buy backlock knives when I like the design and steel.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marulaghost,

I have a number of custom knives from South Africa. Our distributor there is a friend of mine and has gifted some. We're always open to collaborations. Generally they approach us. Maybe some South African makers would consider designing a Spyderco. Has to have that hole in the blade, etc. . When a designer contacts us, Peter is first to respond with the requirements. Do you have any thoughts or ideas on Some South African makers?

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:42 pm
Thanks guys I missed the beginning of the open backs being sold when do you think it started in the 1990's ? I do not ever recall seeing any of them until much much later. The first I came in contact were sold by Chris Reeve and I immediately understood the practicality and functionality of the design and how it made keeping things cleaner so much easier.
I'm pretty sure it was earlier than that. I have an Al Mar liner lock with an open back that I've had since the mid 1980's or a bit earlier.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:59 pm
Hi Marulaghost,

I have a number of custom knives from South Africa. Our distributor there is a friend of mine and has gifted some. We're always open to collaborations. Generally they approach us. Maybe some South African makers would consider designing a Spyderco. Has to have that hole in the blade, etc. . When a designer contacts us, Peter is first to respond with the requirements. Do you have any thoughts or ideas on Some South African makers?

sal
Oh wow i genuinely didn't think I'd be put on the spotlight like this

I can't lie and say i know how many custom markers there are in SA seeing as i've been living stateside for a really long time. Heck i only got into pocket knives a year or two ago. But what i've been seeing back over has been quite impressive. I'll just mention the main names that come to most people's minds.

The big thing that helps SA knives stand out is the mastery of both the detent and the sliding action. I myself have never handled a high end flipping knife but many forum members here have. I find the detent for my spydiechef to be perfect, as strong as i need it to be without becoming hasslesome to work. But that knife is neither a flipper nor is it one i expect to close back to closed position.

I think I'd like to see you guys make a front flipper, something that would really stand out in your lineup.

I know you've already worked with Des Horn so he could potentially be an option again?

I'm not sure how feasible it would be to collaborate with either Andre Thorburn or Van Heerden seeing as one of them has made a design for Boker i believe

There is a small name maker by the name of Martinus Van Wyk who impressed me with a wharncliffe he made, that would be interesting to see.

The name Gareth Bull keeps coming to mind. His work is gorgeous! I saw one video for a review of his field grade Shamwari, a more affordable version of his high end model. The comments kept mentioning how they'd rather see it made in China where it could become even cheaper. But it's rather see it made in America or Taiwan (provided they get the detent right) if it can't be made in South Africa.

Sorry for the super long post Sal, that was a lot for me to unload. I'm not sure how feasible any of this is but it's always worth a shot!
sal

Post by sal »

I think it's worth looking into South African custom makers.

sal
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 am
I think it's worth looking into South African custom makers.

sal
Baie dankie meneer