Your Idea of a DREAM HAWKBILL folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Your Idea of a DREAM HAWKBILL folder?

Post by JD Spydo »

As most of you that know me also know that I use serrated Hawkbill folders for companion blades for my main plain edged EDC quite often. I've had a love for Spyderco's serrated Hawkbills for a long time now since learning how useful that a serrated Hawkbill can be for very rough pull cutting jobs. And they are also great for jobs cutting extremely tough materials as well.

The main Hawkbill models that Spyderco has blessed us with over the years have been great overall. And with the newest addition of the Dragonfly Hawkbill it has given a lot of people an opportunity to experience one first hand for those who never otherwise would have bought or tried one. As a result I'm seeing more and more interest in them develop. But now I think we've reached a point to where we are now ready for an upgraded Hawkbill model.

To me an ideal, deluxe, high end Hawkbill would be like a Spyderhawk model with a G-10 handle and a supersteel blade. And when you consider all the force you use to pull cut something with you need all the firm grip factor you can get. But that's just my idea of a Super model of a Hawkbill. I've also been patiently waiting for a possible return of the G-10 Harpy which was an EDC companion blade I dearly loved until I got mine stolen.

So what would you all consider could be your "dream come true", high quality Hawkbill model?
Sumdumguy

Re: Your Idea of a DREAM HAWKBILL folder?

Post by Sumdumguy »

I don't know if they qualify, but here goes.

1. LC200N, Compression lock, Dodo.

2. Lil Matriarch done up nicely, maybe some solid contoured cf. LC200N or M4.

Not quite Hawkbills. Dodobills?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Yeah, I was going to say my Dodofly and Cricketfly concepts. Reverse S shaped blades in the Dragonfly body.

For a true hawkbill it is hard to beat the Spyderhawk. I'd take one in FFG SE LC200N to compare to my SE H1 version.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Comp lock.
Checkered 18 lines per inch Micarta in any colour, as long as it is canvas...
Serrated VG10 or H1 / LC200N blade
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:56 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Yeah, I was going to say my Dodofly and Cricketfly concepts. Reverse S shaped blades in the Dragonfly body.

For a true hawkbill it is hard to beat the Spyderhawk. I'd take one in FFG SE LC200N to compare to my SE H1 version.
I love your Dodofly concept, it looks like a dream!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Autonomy 1 hawkbill is basically it for me. The handle does a great job of locking your hand into place which is perfect for hard pull cuts. I also like the little to no thumb ramp.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

SE Karahawk
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Just a dream, of course, but probably a PM2 esque, kind of like the Superhawk was to the Superleaf. Maybe a bit Salty, in H1 serrated, lightweight compression lock, a la PM3 Lightweight. Too much to ask, undoubtedly, but hey, we can dream, right?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:12 pm
Checkered 18 lines per inch Micarta in any colour, as long as it is canvas...
Serrated VG10 or H1 / LC200N blade
+1, but I'd take that in the syderhawk platform
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Manix2 XL SE CRUWEAR Hawkblade. Remove choil for added blade length. Happy dance.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:

But you're not far off either>> because actually I truly consider a Reverse S style blade a type of Hawkbill. And a DODO model with LC200N and a Compression lock is a great suggestion for a beefed up, high quality Hawkbill. I"ll take 2 of them if they were ever to come to fruition.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Serrated Lil Matriarch w/ Emerson Wave in H1 or VG10
--Jeremy
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dogrunner wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:53 pm
SE Karahawk
I wish you were close by because I would give a brisk "high five" on that one. I've just been baffled to no end as to why they never offered the Karahawk in SE>> or any other Hawkbill that they've only made available in PE> >> the Superhawk is another one that should have had TEETH :cool:

Back years ago when we had the Warren Thomas Karambit in the Spyderco line up I was also confused as to why it never was available in SE.

Folks it's just this plain and simple>> Any Hawkbill with serrations will operate and function 8 to 10 times better with a Spyderedge :cool:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I can’t imagine a better hawkbill than my SE Spyderhawk Salt.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:01 pm
Same here. Strong, light, perfect carry size.
:unicorn
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:02 pm
dogrunner wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:53 pm
SE Karahawk
I wish you were close by because I would give a brisk "high five" on that one. I've just been baffled to no end as to why they never offered the Karahawk in SE>> or any other Hawkbill that they've only made available in PE> >> the Superhawk is another one that should have had TEETH :cool:

Back years ago when we had the Warren Thomas Karambit in the Spyderco line up I was also confused as to why it never was available in SE.

Folks it's just this plain and simple>> Any Hawkbill with serrations will operate and function 8 to 10 times better with a Spyderedge :cool:
5 back at ya :)
We have made this ask before, I know. I have been patiently waiting for the karahawk in SE, because it is just not going to move up my gotta have it list until it is :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:01 pm
OK I'm with you. I love the Spyderhawk I now have 4 of them>> two users and two for the long term collection. But wouldn't you want a better handle than the current FRN handle it's been available in?? Or at least when it was still being sold in the main line up.

The Spyderhawk did really well last year with the H-1 Nuclear Orange model>> I believe as long as it's been disco'd that it's time to put it back in the main line up. Because there are many more users than there were even 5 years ago.

If they would make deluxe versions of the Spyderhawk and Harpy and target market them in major lawn & garden retail catalogs they would have trouble filling all their orders when all these people into gardening would catch on to how good they are for their hobby/job.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Dragonfly salt hawkbill is basically perfect for me. Way outperforms it's size, takes a beating and comes back for more. I was just thinking a fixed blade version could be a great work knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Ti handled spyderhawk H1. G10 spyderhawk H1 & VG-10 . Cf spyderhawk VG-10. All SE of course. Maybe a PE K390 too.

Super spyderhawk. Aka the way the superhawk should have been made from the start. No choil and the Spyderhawk blade but with the 4mm thickness.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:42 pm
Ti handled spyderhawk H1. G10 spyderhawk H1 & VG-10 . Cf spyderhawk VG-10. All SE of course. Maybe a PE K390 too.

Super spyderhawk. Aka the way the superhawk should have been made from the start. No choil and the Spyderhawk blade but with the 4mm thickness.
That all sounds like good music to my ears VASH :cool: Why on GOD's blue planet they never made the Superhawk in SE is truly one of life's most baffling mysteries :confused: . And why they never made either one of the Jason Breeden models i.e. the Captain and the Breeden Rescue without teeth has me in a deeper state of confusion.
I actually consider the C-111 Captain model a type of a Hawkbill and would have been about as good as any Hawkbill had it had TEETH. There are just some things in life that don't compute at all.
So with that said The Captain and the Superhawk to return with a Spyderedge would be a step in the right direction.