Let's take a look inside my Police 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Let's take a look inside my Police 4

Post by JRinFL »

You could try a firearm coating such as Duracote, Gun-Cote, or similar.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm not convinced that coatings prevent corrosion. I think they do, in some cases, help, but Salt water and sweat can be caustic and find ways to infiltrate. Even humidity near a coast is always trying to eat your knife blade.
You have done a lot more testing than any of us and probably with more coatings than we know about so I'll take your advice. I was trying to think of a quick and dirty way to test for galvanic corrosion. To be quite honest I have never seen the issues that Vivi and some others have and I live in an area that can have me soaked through my shirts in 10 minutes outside spring through fall.

By the way Sal I noticed that for at least the last year the Spyderco's have been coming with less residual buffer grit and other gunk I used to clean off when I first took the knife out of the box to treat and then lube it prior to use. If there was anything that shouldn't be there I would probably have found it by now.

Joe
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 pm
I'm not convinced that coatings prevent corrosion. I think they do, in some cases, help, but Salt water and sweat can be caustic and find ways to infiltrate. Even humidity near a coast is always trying to eat your knife blade.

sal
Sal, for me the DLC offerings have been a game changer.

I rust pretty much anything. I've rusted my Leatherman Micras real bad. I've rusted phones. I've rusted the hardware on a CTS204P Military within 24 hours.

My first experience with a DLC Spyderco was with a Para 2 DLC. The blade never rusted even though I carried it every summer IWB or in sweaty pockets. My sweat is so corrosive the liners, lock bar, hardware, stop pin were all coated in multiple mm of rust. I could scrape out big gobs of it with a toothpick. The blade never did rust.

So I then looked for a model with coated liners. The Manix XL fit the bill.

The XL DLC is the only Spyderco I have never rusted anywhere, aside from salts.

I have never seen a folding knife be capable of being carried year round with rusting unless its your H1 line. It has been a complete game changer for me.

If you're interested I could send you my Manix XL and Police 4. I don't know if there is anything you could gain from taking a look at them, but if you're interested the offer is there.

I know I'm the only one that feels this strongly about DLC in this context, but looking at the photos in this thread, having a non salt knife remain impervious to corrosion is a pretty big deal in my book. Offering a knife in DLC makes me a lot more likely to purchase a given model due to my experiences.

I know your experience and knowledge on the matter eclipses mine many times over, but for what it's worth, this has been my experience with the DLC models from your company.
:unicorn
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

The P4 DLC job I had https://www.razoredgeknives.com/ do is completed! I don't have it in hand yet, but when I do I'll give you some shots of the liners.
439.jpeg
438.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

oh man...that looks really good!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

That DLC coating came out really well.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:44 pm
You could try a firearm coating such as Duracote, Gun-Cote, or similar.
Just as a data point from personal experience, Gun Kote is superior to Duracoat, but Cerakote is FAR superior to either (all professionally applied).
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I was going to order a Police lightweight last night but I held off after seeing this update. I might send my G10 P4 in for the same treatment instead of buying a new knife. This would end up being my most carried knife if the DLC works as well for corrosion resistance as it does on my Manix XL.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ooh, that looks good!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nicely done!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well I finally got around to working on my Police 4 today.

I sanded all the parts down with 800 grit sandpaper and knocked off the rust, saving the liners for last since I knew they'd be the most work.

I roughed off the worst of the corrosion, focusing on the pockets of red rust and areas that appeared to be pitting. What I saw surprised me. It seems the liners had developed a patina in addition to the rust. I tried to capture it in photos and a short video:

https://streamable.com/fl16v

Convinced the liners are made of carbon steel, as I've never seen stainless liners behave this way, I got an idea. Why not force a patina with vinegar?

I tested out my theory by splashing the corner of a liner with white vinegar and waiting five minutes. Already saw a reaction similar to my A2 and 1095 knives.

I'm letting them soak for a few hours while I run errands. I'll post photos of how they look before I make any changes to them.

Excited to pocket the P4 again either way. I've missed this knife.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:37 pm
That's really beautiful! One of the few coated blades I could actually get behind lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
FK

Post by FK »

Carbon Steel Liners ????
Really happy I held off purchase of P4 in favor of the new PM2.

Regards,
FK
vivi

Post by vivi »

The 2 hour vinegar soak gave the liners a cloudy gray look:

I dropped the blade in with the liners for the first half hour and the liners reacted quicker than K390. Granted they don't have the same surface finish, but that still makes me wonder if they used some sort of carbon steel liner.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

FK wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 am
Carbon Steel Liners ????
Really happy I held off purchase of P4 in favor of the new PM2.

Regards,
FK
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you are missing out on maybe the best knife in Spyderco lineup. And now with the LW Police no rust problem. I got the LW version as well and this thing kicksass!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marty_bill,

Very nice.

When I design a knife more to please my own odd preferences, like the Shaman or the P4, I am finding that some you you have similar odd likes. I think it's because of the leaning more to function.

sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Why would it not be your typical 420 liners? So weird
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:17 pm
Hi Marty_bill,

Very nice.

When I design a knife more to please my own odd preferences, like the Shaman or the P4, I am finding that some you you have similar odd likes. I think it's because of the leaning more to function.

sal
Sal,
Yes, I've been through a pile of knives. And 1 always finds it's way back into my pocket. Yep, the P4. For whatever reason it just works. It works without fail.
Thanks,
Marty
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Well I got it back today and it was so worth it!
20191018_153514-1440x1920.jpg
20191018_153520-1440x1920.jpg
20191018_153527-1440x1920.jpg
20191018_153533-1440x1920.jpg
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:42 pm
Well I got it back today...
Wow that looks good. I don't usually like coated knives, but that backlock and H tho! :spyder:

Holy smokes! :cool:

Presumably, he masked the lock interface?