s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Post by JuPaul »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:35 pm
Yep, a LW version in something other than black (and other than s90v/s110v/maxamet) would get me to try out a Shaman.
I don't think a LW version would even be a Shaman.
Because it's supposed to be a beefy knife? Having never trued one out (yet), I'd like to know. I was thinking of the manix 2 lw, which is a lw version of a workhorse knife that I like. What's the reason a Shaman wouldn't translate into lw the way a manix does? Legit question, not being sarcastic.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd say it would keep the character of the Shaman if it was fully contoured FRN of the new, stiffer blend seen in the para 3 LW.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:31 pm
I really like S90V.

sal
This is something that I had already noticed. Worth paying attention to. I am totally on-board with this.

Sometimes I get the feeling that sprint runs are something that Sal wants and figures that he will give the rest of us a shot at.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:07 pm
Sometimes I get the feeling that sprint runs are something that Sal wants and figures that he will give the rest of us a shot at.
Be real. ALL the time.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 am
I'd say it would keep the character of the Shaman if it was fully contoured FRN of the new, stiffer blend seen in the para 3 LW.
I preface this by saying I own 2 DF2s, a Chap LW and plan on buying the Sage 5 LW, have to say a Shaman with big fat plastic scales will feel cheap. Ever handle a BM Griptilian? No thanks!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

zippifish wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 am
I preface this by saying I own 2 DF2s, a Chap LW and plan on buying the Sage 5 LW, have to say a Shaman with big fat plastic scales will feel cheap. Ever handle a BM Griptilian? No thanks!
I've handled one, but i agree that the texturing would need to be dialed in for sure on a LW Shaman. Price would need to be attractive too, and they'd need to make sure the inner edges of the molding are rounded a bit on the spine of the handle and around the blade slot. The G10 model has some sharper edges that pinch the hand when gripping the knife firmly. Fortunately, they're fairly easy to knock down with a brief swipe of 2000 grit sandpaper.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:35 pm
Yep, a LW version in something other than black (and other than s90v/s110v/maxamet) would get me to try out a Shaman.
I don't think a LW version would even be a Shaman.
A Shaman LW does seem a contradiction to me.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:37 pm
Oh yes, the Crucarta will be mine!
So it is! Updated photo of the siblings?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

As much as I like Sal's designs I'm sorry to say but this an overrated folder and has quite a few issues design wise .... don't want to go into details. Some say it's a PM2+Manix2 killer... I say NO WAY. I have the feeling that all this Shaman hype will fade out, I've seen this before with so many models but ...time will tell. Not my cup of tea but ... enjoy yours.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I think a Shaman LW, especially in the way Golden usually makes them without any liners at all, would be grossly blade heavy. As it sits with steel liners and a steel backspacer hanging on the end the knife still feels blade heavy swinging it out. Theres a lot more mass than the Manix blade, thats for sure. I love me some Golden FRN (see my signature), but I would be very skeptical about a Shaman LW. I didn't think I'd see a linerless compression lock knife though, and the Para 3 LW is great, so I guess anythings possible.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:21 pm
As much as I like Sal's designs I'm sorry to say but this an overrated folder and has quite a few issues design wise .... don't want to go into details. Some say it's a PM2+Manix2 killer... I say NO WAY. I have the feeling that all this Shaman hype will fade out, I've seen this before with so many models but ...time will tell. Not my cup of tea but ... enjoy yours.
There are definitly things you can call "design issues" like the way the blade hangs out of the handle when closed a la PM1, and the end of the finger choil that intrudes into the compression lock, but honestly once I held one it just makes sense. Thats a lot of blade sitting in that rather petite handle. I certainly wouldn't say its a PM2/Manix killer because it doesn't really directly compete with them, price wise or otherwise. It wouldn't make sense for a company to make a product that "kills" its own product anyways. At any rate the Shaman has been out for over 2 and a half years now, and it still has a good following, so I don't know if you could consider it "hype".
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.