Open Back Construction

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Open Back Construction

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Something I keep wondering about is open back or is it called open pillar construction?

There are a huge amount of Spyderco Knives built this way, the majority I would say in various models. I also see this construction favored by Chris Reeve and many many others.

I am Curious what is the history on this construction method and who started it?

Thanks.
Evil D

Re: Open Back Construction

Post by Evil D »

I remember years ago most people said "pillar construction" but open back seems more common now. I guess it's possible to have pillar construction and a back spacer along with it and it not be totally open back.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

They kind of seem like interchangeable terms. You're not wrong to call a knife with pillar construction, an "open back knife."

Although, it does get a little weird when you call an open back knife like the military, "pillar construction." It has a partial backspacer, but still has an open back for the most part.
-Nick :bug-red
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 pm
They kind of seem like interchangeable terms. You're not wrong to call a knife with pillar construction, an "open back knife."

Although, it does get a little weird when you call an open back knife like the military, "pillar construction." It has a partial backspacer, but still has an open back for the most part.
Same with the Shaman. I’d call that open-backed.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mushroom wrote:

Thankfully they ditched that spacer and went to just standoffs with the last cqi. I stripped that aluminum backspacer more than once and ended up buying standoffs from a parts house.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Tbh, I don't think I've ever heard of "pillar construction," but I'm a heel, so...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:57 pm

I am Curious what is the history on this construction method and who started it?

Thanks.
They found it’s a good place to hold your loose change
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

I've also heard it called "flow through" construction.
Last edited by I_like_knives on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:36 pm
Mushroom wrote:

Thankfully they ditched that spacer and went to just standoffs with the last cqi. I stripped that aluminum backspacer more than once and ended up buying standoffs from a parts house.
That's good to know! I didn't know that happened.

Funny, I also have a Ti Fluted Military and when I checked it just kind of assumed that the standoffs were unique to the Fluted model.
-Nick :bug-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Meaningless terminology in my opinion.

"It ain't got no backspacer" sounds good to me.

But for some models I do prefer a backspacer.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi I_like_knives,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

The original Military partial back spacer was designed to house a tritium vial. The holes in the scale were smaller than the hole for the vial so it would glow if lost on the ground. We got a great price on tritium vials from South Africa As it turned out, the tritium was so regulated in the US that we had to hire an "authorized" installer which raised the price of the knife more than $25, so we dropped the vial.

sal
ferider

Post by ferider »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:43 pm
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks.
They found it’s a good place to hold your loose change
Perfect for change. Also perfect to stick in parts of other knives, flippers, etc.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:02 pm
The original Military partial back spacer was designed to house a tritium vial. The holes in the scale were smaller than the hole for the vial so it would glow if lost on the ground. We got a great price on tritium vials from South Africa As it turned out, the tritium was so regulated in the US that we had to hire an "authorized" installer which raised the price of the knife more than $25, so we dropped the vial.

sal
That’s too bad, too, because that would be a fantastic feature. Is it possible to do this in the future or with another material?
I had a pistol sight that had some sort of material that would glow all night and any illumination made brighter.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

sal wrote:

sal
i have a tritium vial on my keychain. they may not be bright but in the dark they are noticeable.
this is a great idea. please oh please make them into other knives like the para 3, dragonfly, lil natives. i am okay paying extra, 25$, 30$, all the way up to like 45$ over price..
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Doeswhateveraspidercan

A little must go a long way stuff is around $30,000 per gram from what I found looking into it.

Neat idea for an expensive sprint if you ask me.

Circling back to the question What is the history of open back construction?

Have to admit was a bit disappointed Sal did not give some insight into the history of the open back construction of knives.

When I saw he had replied I thought oh cool he is telling us.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Whatever,

Frankly, I don't now who might have started it. It can't be done with lock-backs or slip-joints. Which means it probably began with Linerlocks. Maybe Michael Walker, Bob Terzuola?

sal
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Makes it a lot easier to clean the knife :thumbsup:
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

sal wrote:

sal
As someone born in South Africa I have to say i do enjoy hearing of Spyderco involving us in your industry (or at the least trying to)
When I read the description for the matriarch it makes me quite happy how you designed it with us in mind.
The chokwe even though it's from Zambia brings a smile to my face.

This might not be the thread for this question but i have to ask if you've considered any collaborations with some knife makers from SA.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:25 am
Hi Whatever,

Frankly, I don't now who might have started it. It can't be done with lock-backs or slip-joints. Which means it probably began with Linerlocks. Maybe Michael Walker, Bob Terzuola?

sal
Wow that is amazing that you do not know and very humble and honest too, Thanks Sal. This answer is more amazing than any I had considered.

Due to all your innovation and involvement with Crucible and so many truly incredible Spyderco designs I always just thought it was a collaborative design effort that came about years ago between you and other designers.