Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Evil D »

Mine just showed up.... absolutely incredible. To repeat someone else in this thread, this may be the best knife Spyderco has ever built. I looked it over as detailed as I could and I can't find a flaw, the pivot action is amazing right out of the box and the ergonomics are everything I knew they'd be. The Shaman itself is an amazing design but this combo is next level amazing. It's not often I feel a sense of gratefulness just from buying something but I'm really happy this combo made it into production.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

^
Agreed, today is my first day carrying it and I am blown away. This is the best first impression I have ever had of a Spyderco. Extremely grateful! Sal’s masterpiece! I have the CF version but this micarta one just feels like butter in my hand. Keep the Shaman coming!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

^ ^
Absolutely! This thing is amazing. Between this and the Cruwear Delica this has been my best couple of months in Spydieville since I discovered this magical place! :D

The only thing that could top this would maybe be a Shaman collaboration with Nathan Carothers using his Delta heat treated CPM-3V steel and some nice grippy Bright Green Terotuf scales like the ones that are popular on his fixed blades. Pretty sure that one would melt down the server of every dealer in the country!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:17 pm
^ ^
Absolutely! This thing is amazing. Between this and the Cruwear Delica this has been my best couple of months in Spydieville since I discovered this magical place! :D

The only thing that could top this would maybe be a Shaman collaboration with Nathan Carothers using his Delta heat treated CPM-3V steel and some nice grippy Bright Green Terotuf scales (I LOVE the Shaman's Micarta, but it isn't as grippy as some others. i might beadblast it a little). Pretty sure that one would melt down the server of every dealer in the country!
Now that’s a collaboration I would follow closely!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Simply outstanding.
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Have any of y'all --who have one of these-- oiled the micarta yet?

If so, curious how much it darkens. Thanks.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

So a question for those of you with this knife in hand, did you pre-order them? I have yet to see any, anywhere. If so whom did you pre-order from?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:27 pm

A guy posted a pic on the Facebook page and said he oiled it, it's a pretty drastic change. It's like a dark peanut butter. I rather like the light color and soft feel of it dry. I'm looking forward to it darkening naturally from hand oil.
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:30 pm
Enactive wrote:

A guy posted a pic on the Facebook page and said he oiled it, it's a pretty drastic change. It's like a dark peanut butter. I rather like the light color and soft feel of it dry. I'm looking forward to it darkening naturally from hand oil.
Thanks, D! I'll look for that.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:31 am
Mine just showed up.... absolutely incredible. To repeat someone else in this thread, this may be the best knife Spyderco has ever built. I looked it over as detailed as I could and I can't find a flaw, the pivot action is amazing right out of the box and the ergonomics are everything I knew they'd be. The Shaman itself is an amazing design but this combo is next level amazing. It's not often I feel a sense of gratefulness just from buying something but I'm really happy this combo made it into production.
Agreed 100%. First Spyderco I could Spydie-flick straight from the box, perfect pivot setting. Didn't even bother disassembly and cleaning. I'm on my second day of carrying two knives with Micarta scales, it's total bliss.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

Enactive wrote:

Micarta will clean back up to it's original shade nicely and easily in my experience with some mild dish soap and hot water. When clean and dry it looks like new even if really grungy...
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Kleon wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:48 pm
Enactive wrote:

Micarta will clean back up to it's original shade nicely and easily in my experience with some mild dish soap and hot water. When clean and dry it looks like new even if really grungy...
Ya, but I am still curious if anyone has photos showing how much this particular micarta darkens when oiled?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Simply outstanding.
Ahhhh...gorgeous! Man I hope my KC pre-order comes through. :confused:
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I like it darker myself - really looks great either way
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’ll probably oil my scales up tonight or tomorrow :).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:02 pm
Kleon wrote:
Enactive wrote:

Ya, but I am still curious if anyone has photos showing how much this particular micarta darkens when oiled?

This is a light coat of Boos Block Board Cream, which is a mixture of mineral oil and beeswax. I didn't remove the scales. I'll remove them and do a full coat at some point if I like the way they feel in use vs the dry. They feel a little grippier, but I do think they look nicer dry.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:29 pm
Enactive wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:02 pm
Kleon wrote:
Enactive wrote:

This is a light coat of Boos Block Board Cream, which is a mixture of mineral oil and beeswax. I didn't remove the scales. I'll remove them and do a full coat at some point if I like the way they feel in use vs the dry. They feel a little grippier, but I do think they look nicer dry.

Thanks, man! Just what I was looking for.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Evil D wrote:
Enactive wrote:

I like that as well (soft feel of dry), but after some time. You'll get this real odd looking dry spot showing up, under the clip. So then at that point, most people dab some food grade mineral oil (laxative:) under there, with a Q-Tip. I just take the clip off right away upon arrival, and rub a very light coat under the clip with a rag. It then doesn't take very long, and the rest of the scales start to match very nicely. After a few days of carry and use. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This would be really nice with Some aged denim micarta to match my jeans..

~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 pm
Evil D wrote:
Enactive wrote:

I like that as well (soft feel of dry), but after some time. You'll get this real odd looking dry spot showing up, under the clip. So then at that point, most people dab some food grade mineral oil (laxative:) under there, with a Q-Tip. I just take the clip off right away upon arrival, and rub a very light coat under the clip with a rag. It then doesn't take very long, and the rest of the scales start to match very nicely. After a few days of carry and use. :)

I think most people would be upset with the scales I got because the color and pattern isn't very consistent but I love it that way. Both sides of mine have random dark spots already.
~David