More 4V anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dogrunner

More 4V anyone?

Post by dogrunner »

Lots of discussion of one of my favorite steels - Cruwear, but I also really like 4V and those are much harder to come by :(
Are you interested in 4V and if so, in what models?

I would really like a Military in 4V... nothing against St. Nick's, who have been the only 4V game in town, but not a fan of red scales. So any earthtone G10 scale and 4V (DLC preferred but either way) blade, please. But St. Nick's - if you order up an exclusive with your usual color combo, I'll try my best to get one (missed the Shaman).
JuPaul

Re: More 4V anyone?

Post by JuPaul »

My first impressions of 4v on the st. Nick's lil' native have been good, at least it's easy to sharpen and seems tough. I haven't put the st. Nick's shaman to really hard use yet, though, so as it is I need more time with it. But in general I like tough non-stainless steels, and I'd be happy to see 4v in other options. 3v, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'm in! I don't have much CPM 4V - only 2.4" to be exact - but I really like what I have. It holds its edge very well and is super responsive with sharpening.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:02 pm
I'm in! I don't have much CPM 4V - only 2.4" to be exact - but I really like what I have. It holds its edge very well and is super responsive with sharpening.
Ah, hahaha! You need a Province, Connor! ;)

I'd be in for a satin blade Military, but can't help thinking 4V is likely best suited to a hard use fixed blade. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have the 3 St. Nicks models. They have the size ranges I like pretty much covered. So I don't really need any more 4V but it would be nice if others could get the opportunity to try it. I've only touched mine up on the Sharpmaker but I really like the edge it takes.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

I thought I saw some 4V exclusives or sprints.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've got the Marbled CF Manix, the Lil Native, and Shaman, but I could go for some more.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yep, I'd wager that St. Nick's is going to follow BHQ and just keep churning these out since they have a winning combo that sells out in under a minute. I'd expect to see a PM2 soon, and then probably Military, Para 3 LW, Manix, Native, etc. I'd like to see them go a little off script with some different models like the Chap LW, Native LW, Manix LW, Manix XL, SE Dodo, and others than don't get as much love.

i'm with you though. If some other dealer wants to use 4V with satin/earth tone in some of these other models I won't complain.

Given the hype around the micarta shaman, I think a dealer would be wise to start a line of exclusives with 4V with some color Micarta (denim or OD Green would be my top two choices).
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm really looking forward to more 4v. I really want St Nicks to do a Manix exclusive. A military would be a must have as well. XL Manix in 4v would be pretty sweet too.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

Definitely! I'd love to see more hard-use oriented folders get the 4V treatment - Manix 2XL, Millie, maybe even a Chinook 4?
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Yes more 4V. Sharpens up easily and stays sharp!
-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:29 pm
Yep, I'd wager that St. Nick's is going to follow BHQ and just keep churning these out since they have a winning combo that sells out in under a minute. I'd expect to see a PM2 soon, and then probably Military, Para 3 LW, Manix, Native, etc. I'd like to see them go a little off script with some different models like the Chap LW, Native LW, Manix LW, Manix XL, SE Dodo, and others than don't get as much love.

i'm with you though. If some other dealer wants to use 4V with satin/earth tone in some of these other models I won't complain.

Given the hype around the micarta shaman, I think a dealer would be wise to start a line of exclusives with 4V with some color Micarta (denim or OD Green would be my top two choices).
I'd get pretty excited about a 4v manix with denim micarta. KC seems willing to do some "alternative" scales with their hap40/pakkawood exclusives (and maybe the rosewood/rex45 shaman??), so maybe it's time to start a petition!

Edit: come to think of it, a rosewood/rex45 manix would make me pretty happy, too.
- Julia

dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:11 pm
I thought I saw some 4V exclusives or sprints.

sal
:) !!

Good to hear. I'm starting a 4V fund :)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Anything 4V or k390 is excellent. Spyderco runs both at about 65 HRC which is outstanding for a production folder (or fixed blade). Excellent sharpening response, tough, strong, and stable.

I haven't done any testing, but spyderco's 4V should noticeably outperform their cruwear in edge retention, strength, and apex stability. Even sharpenability and toughness (2 big strengths of cruwear) would be close. If 4V was magically stainless, it would be close to my favorite steel.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’d love to see a DLC 4V Manix 2 XL with coyote/tan or ranger/OD green scales. That would be one heck of a folder. Green Micarta would be even better.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 am
Anything 4V or k390 is excellent. Spyderco runs both at about 65 HRC which is outstanding for a production folder (or fixed blade). Excellent sharpening response, tough, strong, and stable.

I haven't done any testing, but spyderco's 4V should noticeably outperform their cruwear in edge retention, strength, and apex stability. Even sharpenability and toughness (2 big strengths of cruwear) would be close. If 4V was magically stainless, it would be close to my favorite steel.
On the lil' native I've actually found 4v to be a bit easier to de-burr than cruwear, but maybe my lack of skill in sharpening plays a role there. Or maybe the blade size/thickness is a factor. I'll have a better sense once I do a full sharpening on the shaman.
- Julia

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I strongly prefer 4v to Cruwear. The edge retention is definitely a big plus.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I'd definitely like to see more 4V, but, please, without the DLC.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'd like to try 4V on a folder.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I'm OK with more 4V