Sal, Maxamet Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Sal, Maxamet Military?

Post by Woodpuppy »

Pass on the Maxamet. How’s about K390???
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 am
Maxamet or bust. I refuse to buy another military until a Maxamet military is released. I'll just have to settle with the 4 that I have already. {unless a Damasteel military is made of course}
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

K390 would be another great variant but yea, the world needs a dark gray g10 maxamet military. Get a g10 police 4 if you can still find one in the meantime.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Maxamet or bust. I refuse to buy another military until a Maxamet military is released. I'll just have to settle with the 4 that I have already. {unless a Damasteel military is made of course}
15V would likely outperform Maxamet imo. Shawn has been tweaking his heat treat protocol for high hardness and immense strength, and I think he is in communication with Sal regarding the inevitable release of 15V, heat treating it, and his new design. I'm hoping 15V trickles down to other models like the military as well. Maxamet is an awesome choice though.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Maxamet and micarta Military!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:26 am
VashHash wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
15V would likely outperform Maxamet imo. Shawn has been tweaking his heat treat protocol for high hardness and immense strength, and I think he is in communication with Sal regarding the inevitable release of 15V, heat treating it, and his new design. I'm hoping 15V trickles down to other models like the military as well. Maxamet is an awesome choice though.
Okay i might also buy a 15V military if it comes out before the Maxamet but that's it. I gotta stand my ground. I think the main issue was the warping though. All speculation but I know it was mentioned in longer blades Maxamet tends to warp.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

T15 or S390?

Shoot, I’ll take K390 too. Let’s see that Military muscle.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kobold

Post by kobold »

Maxamet patina + fluted titanium!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

So... uh... Is this still in the pipeline, Sal?
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

My knife buying has slowed considerably as of late, but this one I'm still greatly interested in.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:02 pm
My knife buying has slowed considerably as of late, but this one I'm still greatly interested in.
Same. I hope this hasn't hit the back-burner indefinitely in favor of the Military 2.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I think Maxamet would perform just fine with serrations too. The ultimate in edge holding.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Deleted
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:02 pm
Ditto
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Have you fellas kept up with the Maxamet talk? This is a difficult steel to work with and has a high reject rate. The military has a long blade. I’m not saying they won’t make it. It might be pushing the limits of what’s possible in a production environment. If you get any of the other Maxamet models enjoy them. I have two.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:41 am
Maxamet and micarta Military!!!!
Maxcarta
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:43 pm
I think Maxamet would perform just fine with serrations too. The ultimate in edge holding.
I always wonder:

a) How hard (on the grinding wheels) and time consuming it is for Spyderco to make SE knives in such really hard steels
b) How hard SE in such hard steels is too sharpen or better put: How fast it will wear the sharpmaker rods (if one uses this device as main sharpening tool) since only the corners can be utilized
c) How brittle the thin chisel grind and points of the serrations will be
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

dan31 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm
Have you fellas kept up with the Maxamet talk? This is a difficult steel to work with and has a high reject rate. The military has a long blade. I’m not saying they won’t make it. It might be pushing the limits of what’s possible in a production environment. If you get any of the other Maxamet models enjoy them. I have two.
While I know there are documented hardships working with this steel in a production setting, I believe Sal would have known this back when he replied to this thread stating this knife would happen, in time. That was also 4 years ago, back when stated production issues were occurring (2017). I would believe Spyderco as a company has been able to mitigate, to the best of their ability, this issue to even a slight extent, based on how much of Maxamet we've seen since and continue to see. My guess is this has been shelved in favor of the much speculated Millie 2, which I'm just not that interested in if it indeed will be replacing the liner-lock in favor of the compression lock.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:44 am
kobold wrote:
I always wonder:

a) How hard (on the grinding wheels) and time consuming it is for Spyderco to make SE knives in such really hard steels
b) How hard SE in such hard steels is too sharpen or better put: How fast it will wear the sharpmaker rods (if one uses this device as main sharpening tool) since only the corners can be utilized
Excellent points, Wartstein. Unfortunately, I don't think it's worth the premium to produce a SE version in this steel, for Spyderco. Much like when ZDP got the SE treatment, which Spyderco found was much more of a detriment in many users experiences and expectations, I believe this will have the same conclusions drawn, ultimately.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

weeping minora wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:44 am
kobold wrote:
I always wonder:

Excellent points, Wartstein. Unfortunately, I don't think it's worth the premium to produce a SE version in this steel, for Spyderco. Much like when ZDP got the SE treatment, which Spyderco found was much more of a detriment in many users experiences and expectations, I believe this will have the same conclusions drawn, ultimately.

That´s what I´d figure too.
But then they do K390 in SE - I figure (not an expert at all though!) that this will be a bit "easier" than in Maxamet, but not by much and still very hard ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)