Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 am
Albatross wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:00 pm
Thank you for the info. I read the description for the Stretch just now, and probably should have done that to begin with. :rolleyes:

The more stout tip can be useful, but for me, the Stretch 2 is too small to benefit from the added strength. My larger knives tend to get used harder, and would offer me more use, with a stout tip, than the Stretch 2 does. As you said, personal preference.
Yep, that´s been discussed in some other thread quite recently (can´t remember which one) - totally personal preference of course.

I am one of those who for example finds the PM2 tip too fragile -(looking?). Im am totally for a tip as pointy as I need for my typical tasks, but since lets say the Endura tip (ffg, that is!) always was and is pointy enough for me, I don´t look for something even "pointier".

I am also totally with all the people who say "If you use your knife properly and like a knife is meant to be used, even a very pointy tip won´t snap on you"
Right, 100 %
BUT: Sometimes (admittedly VERY rarely in my day to day life, but still) I simply don´t have the TIME to to use my folders "properly" (very hasty work when having to unpack helicopter loads, containing metal barrels and so on, real fast one handed emergency cuts against rock when climbing for example).

So, to cut a long story short:

I totally hope the Straight Spine Stretch will make it to become a regular production model together with the current, "funky shaped" Stretch.
I DON`T hope it will REPLACE the current Stretch and its blade shape some day.
So that everyone can enjoy a Stretch with whatever particular blade shape and tip they prefer!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I am increasingly interested in this variant, even though I really enjoy the drop point blade shape on the Stretch 2. Any murmurrings or news?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm
I dont think it is and heres why - A couple years ago Sal started a thread talking about honoring the loyal and long time contributors of this forum. His idea was to get input from these loyal members to create an ideal new model to their desired specs. The first member that Sal chose to honor was Paul, The Deacon! More information about this can be found in Sal's thread - "To Honor"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72546

I have a feeling that this Straight Spine Stretch is the result of Pauls input to Sal!

My question to Sal is - Is this the official "Deacon Stretch" ? :D
I agree, the straight spine Stretch 2 seems to be the outcome of this Deacon tribute thread, except Sal went with ivory/light tan instead of brown as Paul offered up as a color choice and it still has a Boye dent! :) Interesting that we essentially get a backlock lightweight FRN PM2 in VG-10, I bet they’ll sell pretty well. Congrats to the Deacon on his tribute knife! Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

And this thread needs a pic!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I know the backstory, shoulda been clearer... asking about release date. Thx, Radioactive! We did need pix!
RadioactiveSpyder

Enactive wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:01 pm
I know the backstory, shoulda been clearer... asking about release date. Thx, Radioactive! We did need pix!
I’d say these will be released sooner than later (in the next month?). There’s only 5 folders in the Volume 3 Spyderco Reveal, and it’s the only knife coming out of Japan in that group. The Cruwear Shaman is also in that Reveal and those have started shipping. At $95 or so, they’re a great deal (the Stretch 2 that is ;)).
tangent

Post by tangent »

Would love to see an LC200N ‘Salt Stretch’ in the original blade configuration.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I don't know about functionality, but I think it looks much better.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The "straight spine Stretch" still is not available anywhere, right?

I am so courious to read about impressions and thoughts of people who maybe shyed away from the regular Stretch due to its "funky" blade shape, but will get the more conventional looking straight spine version!

Especially for people who like knives in PM2 size and quite similar ergos the Straight Spine Stretch might be THE Seki FRN model.
With - for me - the advantage of a thinner, slicier blade and a rather unique edge: While the PM2 has a rather continous "curve" in the edge from the beginning up to the tip, the Stretch has a quite long perfectly straight section, before a good amount of belly leads to the tip. Feels different to me when cutting stuff, and is really worth experiencing (can´t say which design is "better", probably depends on what you cut, how you cut, what you are used to....)

Below a pic I got from the internet for anyone who hasn´t seen the model yet (the ivory color is really cool too I think)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Besides the advantages/disadvantages of a more acute point it will behave about the same as the standard Stretch.

This straight spine Stretch might kill all desire I have for an Endela.

I hope this sells well so that maybe we can get a K390 Stretch in BOTH blade shapes. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I will buy one, but will wish for cruwear and 440C which will never happen but I like 440C.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Don’t dismiss that Endela. It’s a great design. The SE is great in the Endela.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dan,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

I handled the Stretch 2 on couple of occasions. Both FRN and G10. And although I like the knife, and I appreciate the differences compare to similar knives in this category, the package overall didn't provide enough improvement over models I already favor. And that holds true for other knives I choose not to get. Too many options; things could be worse...

That said, I always knew I would pick up a Stretch 2 in the right or unique steel/color combo. The V-Toku came very close!

I am getting this one as soon as it comes out. If for no other reason, I currently don't have VG-10, I like the FRN color, and it will tide me over until we get a LW PM2 :p
Peter
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Been thinking about getting one of these. Seems a unique offering.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 pm
Don’t dismiss that Endela. It’s a great design. The SE is great in the Endela.
Could not agree more. I´ll not get tired of recommending the serrated Endela to really anyone who loves great cutting tools.

The rather shallow and not too aggressive serrrations in that 3mm ffg blade just blew me away, did not expect that and I am really not the only one on this forum.. don´t think that even Spyderco has something similar in its lineup that is not a wharncliff blade (Delica and Endura Wharnie (!) SE should be as good though, Delica maybe even better due to the even thinner blade). EDIT: Well, the Tenacious SE should be a rather similar performer too.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:18 am
Besides the advantages/disadvantages of a more acute point it will behave about the same as the standard Stretch.

This straight spine Stretch might kill all desire I have for an Endela.

I hope this sells well so that maybe we can get a K390 Stretch in BOTH blade shapes. :D
Right, in a way it is heavily competing with the Endela ... practically the same when it comes to dimensions (edge, blade, closed length, blade stock...(other than blade stock also true for the PM2), both FRN, both great also for bigger hands, both rather light (though the Stretch is in fact about 20 % "heavier" and takes a bit more space in the pocket, but I don´t think that is noticeable in practice).

The main difference should be the ergos.
I personally like BOTH a lot in that regard, but if one likes dedicated choils: Stretch of course, it has a choil that is wider than for example the PM2 choil and should work fine even for bigger hands or when wearing gloves
If one likes to have the hand close to the edge in a regular grip and/or does not mind choking up on a Ricasso: Endela.

Honestly, my "advice" would be: Get both, the Endela in the AMAZING SE version, the Stretch in PE (don´t know if there will be a SE version some day), STILL pay less than lets say for the "basic" S30V Shaman (which is a great knife, don´t get me wrong) and you have too great, slicey cutting tools in both edge configurations... ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have had a couple of these on pre-order since that became available. This is my most anticipated knife in quite a while. Much as I love the original Stretch blade shape, I think this version will be excellent as well and may convince some who disliked the original blade shape to try a great knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

This reminds me what a pm2 LW would look like, just with a back lock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Triple post... :o
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.