Kapara CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ez556

Re: Kapara CQI

Post by Ez556 »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:47 pm
All of the boxes have a date code printed on them. The first run, has a date code of 'JR' on it, which is Oct. 2018. This latest run, CQI, has a date code of 'HS' on it (Aug. 2019). There may have been a run in between those two, but I don't think so, and it would not have been a CQI version. ;)

What everyone else here has said, has to be the case. These flat sold out, on the first run. As I bought one of the very last ones of the first run, and also a second one, later, from this CQI run. On Sept. 10th 2019.
How do the two compare in your opinion?
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

DukeNiemand wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:35 am
SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:05 pm
Kleon wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 pm
My first run Kapara was exceptional - no observed issues whatsoever just had to adjust for the sharpened edge length difference between that and my PM2 for closing without giving myself small cuts on my index finger lol...

What were the issues requiring change?

Welcome to the Spydero Forums, Kleon! :)

As far as I know, and Sal can correct me if I am missing something. They just changed the knife from having a pivot pin, to having a pivot bushing. So now it's more Manix 2 and Paramilitary like, in that area, and with its action.
The CQI Kapara actually has a "removable" pivot bushing, unlike the bushing on the PM2 that is pressed into the blade. Nick Shabazz just did a disassembly video showing that:

https://youtu.be/xECQ1_ySisM
Thanks Steve / Duke! I totally missed this by Nick. It is a big change and I am glad to have this info. Appreciate it greatly!
Kleon
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Ez556 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:52 am
SteveMidwest wrote:
All of the boxes have a date code printed on them. The first run, has a date code of 'JR' on it, which is Oct. 2018. This latest run, CQI, has a date code of 'HS' on it (Aug. 2019). There may have been a run in between those two, but I don't think so, and it would not have been a CQI version. ;)

What everyone else here has said, has to be the case. These flat sold out, on the first run. As I bought one of the very last ones of the first run, and also a second one, later, from this CQI run. On Sept. 10th 2019.

Well, I'll put it this way. As soon as I opened and closed the second Kapara (CQI Version) a few times. I swear, I could hear Angels singing! :D
So I put the older Kapara back in its original box, and sold it off.
I still shake my head, every time I pick it up. It really is, perfection. :spyder:
Last edited by SteveMidwest on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I almost say that my CQI Kapara has the best action of any knife I own or have used!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Lozoot

Post by Lozoot »

Didn’t get a chance to handle a first run Kapara, but my CQI version is flawless. Drops shut effortlessly and was sharper out of the box than any of my previous Spydercos.
Current Favourites: Kapara, Sage 5, Drunken, Chaparral G10/CF
Up Next: Fluted CF/S90V Native 5
Wish List: CF Lil Native
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:47 pm
Ez556 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:52 am
SteveMidwest wrote:

Well, I'll put it this way. As soon as I opened and closed the second Kapara (CQI Version) a few times. I swear, I could hear Angles singing! :D
So I put the older Kapara back in its original box, and sold it off.
I still shake my head, every time I pick it up. It really is, perfection. :spyder:
I love autocorrect! Angles, Jutes and Saxons were dark age invading tribes - I’ve never heard about their singing qualities, though.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

L o l, you caught me ChrisinHove! :D
I did catch it too, later, and was going to edit it quick. But I was signed out at that moment, and then the phone rang. I got side-tracked, and forgot about it again! :p

That, and I do draw a heck of a lot of angles every week! :)
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Hmm I got my Kapara in yesterday. It didn't drop shut out of the box, so I took it apart to see if it indeed having the pivot bushing, and it does. So I lubed it up, and have opened/closed it maybe 200 times while watching NBA games. It still doesn't drop shut without me loosening the pivot. Someone else over on the reddit knife forums also has the same problem (we both have Sept 2019 built ones). I guess it will loosen with more time.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned at all in ~10 reviews on youtube I watched was that because the handle is so thin width wise, when closing the blade the bolster will hit my finger every single time unless I take it off right before it closes or move my finger to the very bottom of the cutout, you can't keep it on like a Para 2 or Para 3. Most reviews only mention the cutoff space itself being a bit tight, I didn't even think about the fact that it might bump against my finger . This was something I read about with the Shaman as well, but I've never tried the Shaman either. Something that I immediately disliked, I'm already thinking of selling it :(
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

On the shaman you atleast get the advantage of a forward finger guard, and just have to get used to moving your finger out of the way. I know what you are talking about on the kapara. Its the unsharpened part right at the base of the blade. I just move my finger back like you said and its no problem. No idea why yours isnt drop shutting. Mine did out of the box. Goodluck.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
rivy

Post by rivy »

Is there a way to know whether you have a CQI or not based on the label on the box? Mine says “IS” on the right side and to the right of made on Taiwan the tiny number is 1564.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

rivy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:33 pm
Is there a way to know whether you have a CQI or not based on the label on the box? Mine says “IS” on the right side and to the right of made on Taiwan the tiny number is 1564.
The date code "IS" is September 2019. So based on that I'd be pretty confident it's the CQI version. You should also be able to tell by looking at the washer bearings
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
rivy

Post by rivy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:39 pm
rivy wrote:
The date code "IS" is September 2019. So based on that I'd be pretty confident it's the CQI version. You should also be able to tell by looking at the washer bearings
Wow thanks! Mine is definitely not drop shutting at all. Feels the same as my original non-CQI version. Are the washers visibly different than previous without disassembling?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

rivy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:53 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:39 pm
rivy wrote:
Wow thanks! Mine is definitely not drop shutting at all. Feels the same as my original non-CQI version. Are the washers visibly different than previous without disassembling?
Have you tried adjusting the pivot a little? This isn't the first time I've seen someone state their CQI version is similar to their original one. Like a lot of things there's no guarantees due to manufacturing tolerances, variances in assembly, etc. I was going to order a CQI Kapara but then I have my original one adjusted so the action is really quite good. Not sure it makes sense for my to spend the money on another just so I have the latest & greatest.

I think I mispoke earlier about the washer bearings being different. I had the CQI Advocate in mind. They're already using the better bearings in the Kapara. The change was to a bushing pivot. You won't be able to see that without taking the knife apart or at least starting to. You could try backing off both pivot screws. If they both actually loosen it should have the bushing pivot.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
rivy

Post by rivy »

Cool thanks for the info!!
cistercian

Post by cistercian »

I bought my Kapara from DLT recently and was very pleased...but it seemed the lock release pressure was too high.
Being fearless I formed the lockbar slightly to reduce tension and now the knife is perfect. It has a luxurious feel in
hand and fit and finish that exceeds all of my other knives...it is amazing. It feels nicer than any 500 dollar knives I
have tried too. It is actually a bit ridiculous how incredible it is. My highest recommendation!

This is my first post here...but I am a long time Spyderco user. I have one of my early Enduras still with the molded in
pocket clip!