Corrosion Testing of 9 Stainless Knife Steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

Corrosion Testing of 9 Stainless Knife Steels

Post by Larrin »

I did a new study on a range of different stainless steels including water spray and saltwater spray corrosion testing. I used the results of the study to improve my ranking of corrosion resistance of knife steels. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/10/14/ ... e-testing/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
The Meat man

Re: Corrosion Testing of 9 Stainless Knife Steels

Post by The Meat man »

Excellent article Larrin. Very interesting to see CTS BD1N way up there. I've not had any rust with it, but I have had it patina after cutting some pork chops.
Thanks as always for your contributions!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
npad69

Post by npad69 »

good stuff!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Good read, surprised to see the M390 Fam performing similar to S110V and substantially better than S90V. I would love to see more test done with Vanax, LC200N, H1 and Nitrobe 77 to see how all their other properties compare.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:48 am
Good read, surprised to see the M390 Fam performing similar to S110V and substantially better than S90V. I would love to see more test done with Vanax, LC200N, H1 and Nitrobe 77 to see how all their other properties compare.
I do have toughness data for Vanax and LC200N (listed as Z-Finit). https://i0.wp.com/knifesteelnerds.com/w ... =754&ssl=1
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks for posting yer another very interesting study !!

I always love reading those and am looking forward to this newest one (just had time at the moment to look at the charts, will actually read it later)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Awesome read.
Justin
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 am
Excellent article Larrin. Very interesting to see CTS BD1N way up there. I've not had any rust with it, but I have had it patina after cutting some pork chops.
Very strange!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Interesting. Thanks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 am
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 am
Very strange!
Yeah I was surprised. Here's what it looked like.

I could not clean it off. It gradually wore off after a few weeks of use.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thank you, Larrin. This is the kind of knowledge I can use.

I knew that S110V was very resistant, but did not realize how high M390 was. They are both favorites of mine for pocket carry.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Thank you for sharing your work, Larrin, I always learn something new from your articles.

Interesting stuff with the extrapolated corrosion resistance ratings... I think on the whole it lines up with what I've seen in my limited practical experience as well as what "bro science" enthusiasts like Pete from the Cedric & Ada channel on YouTube have demonstrated.

I do think that numerical rating differences perhaps mean different things across the scale in practical terms, at least from my anecdotal experience. As in, it's harder to discern practical performance differences in the upper end of the scale—like the 0.5 difference between BD1 (8.0) and VG10 (7.5)—than in the lower end of the scale, such as the 0.5 difference between ZDP-189 (4.9) and Maxamet (4.4). I'd be hard-pressed to find any practical corrosion resistance difference between BD1 & VG10 in my day-to-day use but (to me, at least) the same cannot be said for ZDP-189 and Maxamet—Maxamet definitely stains & rusts more easily than ZDP-189 upon exposure to things like saltwater and food acids.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:31 am
I did a new study on a range of different stainless steels including water spray and saltwater spray corrosion testing. I used the results of the study to improve my ranking of corrosion resistance of knife steels. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/10/14/ ... e-testing/

The results of S110V and 204P/M390 are not surprising as they were developed for the plastics industry, very harsh environments.

Something some of us have been telling people for a long time now, how corrosion resistant they really are compared to the other steels.

ELMAX is one of the other ones..

N680 is used to make dive knives and is very stain resistant also.
Last edited by Ankerson on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lozoot

Post by Lozoot »

Great article - definitely reflects my experience with XHP.
Current Favourites: Kapara, Sage 5, Drunken, Chaparral G10/CF
Up Next: Fluted CF/S90V Native 5
Wish List: CF Lil Native
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Interesting conclusion for XHP. It's been quite corrosion resistant in my experience.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:54 am
Interesting conclusion for XHP. It's been quite corrosion resistant in my experience.
I think as far as conventional knife usage goes, XHP is "stainless enough" for 95% of the knife community and perhaps to less of an extent, the same can be said for ZDP-189 and CruWear (I carried a Dragonfly in ZDP-189 as my EDC for years & rusting/staining was never a problem with regular common sense maintenance).

That said, I have seen an XHP knife develop a notable layer of surface rust with some staining during constant exposure to seawater over a six-hour period, where a VG10 blade only developed minimal surface rust that was easily wiped away. I suppose in many of these steels, the corrosion resistance rating differences really only become practically apparent in more extreme conditions.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Xhp doesn't survive my summer pocket sweat super well, but I love it anyway, haha!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

zuludelta wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:38 am
I do think that numerical rating differences perhaps mean different things across the scale in practical terms, at least from my anecdotal experience. As in, it's harder to discern practical performance differences in the upper end of the scale—like the 0.5 difference between BD1 (8.0) and VG10 (7.5)—than in the lower end of the scale, such as the 0.5 difference between ZDP-189 (4.9) and Maxamet (4.4). I'd be hard-pressed to find any practical corrosion resistance difference between BD1 & VG10 in my day-to-day use but (to me, at least) the same cannot be said for ZDP-189 and Maxamet—Maxamet definitely stains & rusts more easily than ZDP-189 upon exposure to things like saltwater and food acids.
Those cutoff points are going to be highly dependent on the environment they are exposed to. For example, you may not see any difference between BD1 and VG-10 because in your particular use neither is seeing any corrosion.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Yeah, LC200N gives no damm!

Excellent article as usual Larrin, keep up the great work!

P.S. I am looking forward for Maxamet article.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:30 am
Yeah, LC200N gives no damm!

Excellent article as usual Larrin, keep up the great work!

P.S. I am looking forward for Maxamet article.
It will come! Hopefully the middle of November. My original plan was to do an article on "Carbide replacement high speed steels" around now but other things took precedence.