Back lock Lock rock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crazywednesday

Back lock Lock rock

Post by crazywednesday »

Its almost fun to have your child say three times fast. I have a couple of back lock spyderco's. They all have some lock rock to some degree. I dont have any Golden made ones. I also have never really compared them to other manufactures. What are your issues with "lock rock"? Is it safety, anal retentiveness, fear of the unkown, or something else? please explain. To me, its so minimal I never think about it.
Justin
VooDooChild

Re: Back lock Lock rock

Post by VooDooChild »

Since I just posted this a few minutes ago on another discussion.

"None of my native 5s or the chief have lock rock. I cant recall any review or post of someone having it or being able to detect it. The newer backlocks on the golden made models is a totally different animal than what you would get with the delica/endura series. The tolerances and engineering that went into the new golden made backlocks of the last few years are impressive. Every time I use one I can tell just how well thought out they are, and why they took a long time to get to this level. If someone hasnt tried one I would say give it a shot. If its still not to their liking theres other great options as well."
"Ok. In the spirit of honesty I just grabbed my chief and really tried to see if I could detect some and it does have a hair of lock rock. Not nearly as bad as my endura 4. I should have checked before posting. I cartainly havent detected it in use. I dont detect any in my native 5s though. There could be other examples though that have it so I cant say ots not possible, I dont really feel like doing a long search right now. The chief is big. Any big back lock can be hard to eliminate lock rock on. I also prefer backlocks over all other lock types so I could have some bias coming in.
Doesnt the chaparral lightweight have an internal stop pin so it cant have lock rock?"
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Thanks VooDoo! Your post is what inspired me to create this thread. I love Golden models too, and others. Im actually looking for reasons why lock rock is the worst thing ever. Just trying to understand and expand my mind here.
Justin
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I get you. I also assumed you might have been referencing what I said as the thread popped up right after I posted it. As someone who prefers back locks, or more specifically spydercos mid back locks that still allow for ambidextrous one hand opening and closing due to them being purposely designed that way. I would have to say lock rock is something I dont make any sort of fuss over.
For others it might be a deal breaker. If I had a really bad example it would probably annoy me. But my worst example is my endura 4 and its not nearly bad enough for me to send it up the river.
What about internal stop pins? What about the triad lock? Should these things become a necessary evolution of the backlock design, or is it not worth it to overcomplicate a simple design that works. The native 5s lock is Im sure plenty strong enough, and I would rather not overcomplicate with an internal pin. Others however may totally disagree. But I really feel spyderco nailed it with that one.
There are other aspects of the backlock design that I could bring up, but they dont relate to lock rock, so I wont.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mine have vertical rock.

It's never been an issue. It does not affect the function of the knife. The lock has never failed and the rock isn't typically noticeable in use.
:unicorn
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I don't worry about it and even expect a small amount of rock with back locks. Is it worth having a stop pin? IMO, yes, but I also appreciate the simplicity of normal back locks (mid-locks). I don't have a hard opinion either way.

My Native 5 lw has no rock whatsoever, my Endura 4 lw has a very small amount, my past Dragonfly lw had slightly more than the Endura, and my Car Cara 2 lw has noticable rock in use. I've never experienced a back lock failure, even with significant rock in a Cara Cara 2 after some hard use testing (abuse).
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

My Dragonfly has pretty bad rock after around a year of work duty, and if it’s stabbed into cardboard I can flex it up and down probably 5 degrees with my index finger against the choil and my thumb on the butt applying not a great deal of force. I haven’t tried, but if I put a tiny bit more force I feel like the lock or handle is gonna fail. I still use it, but a Native LW is on deck to replace it. I’m not a fan to say the least. I’m glad to hear the Golden backlock don’t exhibit this, that was what I was betting on. I like the design of the Chaparral with the stop pin integral to the blade that runs in the track in the liners.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have a whole bunch of Spyderco back/mid locks. Only about a 1/3 of them have any movement and I really have to pull up hard on most of those to notice. Even then it's only a tiny wiggle and nothing I've felt while using them. This is on a couple of my Dragonflys, a couple Delicas, and a Caly 3.5. None of my Native 5s, Chaparrals, Caly 3, or Stretch do it. Not even the slightest wiggle from those.

I've read that flicking open back locks is hard on the lock face and a good way to induce lock rock. I've never really tried to flick open a back lock due to the spring but possibly inducing lock rock is another reason I don't try.

EDIT: I just checked a few knives I have temporarily stashed away. My Lil' Matriarch is rock solid but my Dragonfly HB Salt, Baby Jess Horn, Calypso Jr have a little rock. Again, nothing that I'd really notice while actually cutting. So out of about 30 back locks I have maybe 10 that have a little wiggle.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've carried Spyderco backlocks since 92. In that time I've never had one break, fail or wear out. Can I find some movement if I deliberately look for it? Maybe, maybe not. I dunno. They don't need to change the design of the older ones like my Enduras because there is no problem with them in use. The newer designs are different enough to where traditional "lock rock" isn't there. I'm happy with both.

Joe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have one Spyderco with minimal movement if I cut hard. Nothing to worry about. I’ve got a Benchmade that makes you wonder because the lock rock is so bad. A little is nothing, and can be advantageous to keep from too much unintended force.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

My chief certainly has a small amount of lock rock. No biggie though.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the only one I have that doesn't have some "lock bar lift" is my Native LW. I did have a Stretch that had such bad up and down jiggle that I sent it back and they found it was defective. I also had a used Military that had a bit but who knows what it was put through before I got it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

The only Spyderco with a mid lock I have that exhibits absolutely no lock rock is the Spyderco Stretch combo blade metal pinned construction, Each and every mid lock Spyderco from the Salt, Pacific salt2, native, multiple hawkbills etc... I own besides this one does including the native Chief exhibit varying degrees of lock rock new out of the box. Some like the Endura have allot of this and the question I have is why?

Is it because of screw construction? I know it has nothing to do with liner or liner less construction. If it is due to screw construction this makes sense as the Stretch I referenced is the only one with pinned construction.

My Buck110 a full lock back does not exhibit this and I own more than one of these none of them rock. They are also pinned construction.

Wonder if that is it? Pressed and pinned without FRN or G10 = much easier to get closer stable tolerances?

I do not like the lock rock wish it were not present, but make the compromise for the great ergonomics and cutting ability of the various models for the tools they are.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:19 pm
The only Spyderco with a mid lock I have that exhibits absolutely no lock rock is the Spyderco Stretch combo blade metal pinned construction, Each and every mid lock Spyderco from the Salt, Pacific salt2, native, multiple hawkbills etc... I own besides this one does including the native Chief exhibit varying degrees of lock rock new out of the box. Some like the Endura have allot of this and the question I have is why?

Is it because of screw construction? I know it has nothing to do with liner or liner less construction. If it is due to screw construction this makes sense as the Stretch I referenced is the only one with pinned construction.

My Buck110 a full lock back does not exhibit this and I own more than one of these none of them rock. They are also pinned construction.

Wonder if that is it? Pressed and pinned without FRN or G10 = much easier to get closer stable tolerances?

I do not like the lock rock wish it were not present, but make the compromise for the great ergonomics and cutting ability of the various models for the tools they are.
Buck and Spyderco use pretty different takes on the backlock, lock release placement aside.

The tab on the lock bar that drops into the blade tang is shaped different. On spyderco its box shaped like a square, its all right angles:

On the buck, the lock bar is not made up of right angles where it wedges into the blade tang. The sides of it are angled like this \__/ so it wedges in. Can't seem to find a picture of the lock bar.

The Spyderco design is more secure, but also more prone to lock rock. Over time the Buck's tend to develop play in my experience.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I've even experienced lock rock on triad locks, although it is somewhat rare.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’ve got a dragonfly, Delica, endura and pacific salt that all have “lock bar raise”. I intentionally tried to see what a Delica 4 FFG could take and when it didn’t fail I designated it to toolbox knife, where it’s lived for 5+ years on top of my box doing all the dirty jobs in the shop (see username) and it’s still going strong. I have no fears of abusing it.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:35 pm
I’ve got a dragonfly, Delica, endura and pacific salt that all have “lock bar raise”. I intentionally tried to see what a Delica 4 FFG could take and when it didn’t fail I designated it to toolbox knife, where it’s lived for 5+ years on top of my box doing all the dirty jobs in the shop (see username) and it’s still going strong. I have no fears of abusing it.
Haha, are you a trans tech? If so I love the name!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

Some knives we buy as tools, some as treasures.
For those whose Delica is the crown jewel of the collection, lock rock will get under their skin. We want our treasured stuff to seem perfect, right?

Tangent: This is why I find the Golden Co. sprints are a special beast. QC is high enough to satisfy nitpicky-ness, and the exotic steels, handle colors, and limited quantity make great users feel like luxury items. I don't think I will ever "outgrow" (or spoil myself out of loving) my Cruwear Pm2.
Timeless appeal is a better buying criteria than "best knife so far."
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My old SE ZDP-189 Delica has a bit of up/down lock-rock. Of course it's opened countless boxes, cut heavy duty plastic packing strips, and was once used to saw excess material off a wet-to-dry cast before it fully hardened. My FFG Delica has a very tiny bit of up/down lock-rock, but it's newer & has not been used as hard. My Dragonfly has none, but it hardly gets used or carried. My Chaparral LW locks up solid with no lock-rock at all, but it's only about a month old.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ez556 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:11 pm
prndltech wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:35 pm
Haha, are you a trans tech? If so I love the name!
I do it all... specialize in certain companies, but do bumper to bumper, sunroof to wheels.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006