Spyderco Sheepsfoot Blades: Likes, Dislikes and Favorite Models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Sheepsfoot Blades: Likes, Dislikes and Favorite Models?

Post by JD Spydo »

My history with Spyderco's great models with "Sheepsfoot" blades goes way back ( 1995). Actually my very first Spyder I ever bought was a stainless handled, GIN-1, full SE Mariner model that I bought in the Spring of 1995. Yep that's the Sheepsfoot folder model that I cut my Spyder-Teeth with. And on this very day my full SE companion blade that I'm carrying is an ATS-55 era, Stainless handled, RESCUE model in full Spyderedge>> and yes it has a Sheepsfoot blade. And it still remains one of my all time favorite "user" utility folders of all time. And I still find a serrated sheepsfoot blade to be quite a useful tool.

I've only ever owned one Spyderco Sheepsfoot blade in plain edge. It was also a Mariner model in GIN-1 and I just really didn't like it that much. But sheepsfoot blades in full SE will always be in my "user" arsenal. I'm just wondering what the rest of you think about Spyderco's "Sheepsfoot" blades? Which models do you all like? Do you prefer Sheepsfoot blades in SE or PE? And if you had your way what changes in the Spyderco "Sheepsfoot" blade models would you make?

Let's discuss Spyderco's "Sheepsfoot" bladed models past and present?
dan31

Re: Spyderco Sheepsfoot Blades: Likes, Dislikes and Favorite Models?

Post by dan31 »

Carried a SS GIn-1 SE Mariner in the US Coast Guard for years. Got the knife in 88. Used at at my motor lifeboat station for years. It saw a lot of cutting. I moved to the aviation side as an ASM. We had a choice of knives, autos and several small fixed blades. I chose to continue to carry and use my Mariner. It saw a lot of time in the ocean. I just tethered it to my vest. After each flight it would get rinsed and hung to dry with all my gear. I still have the knife and all the fond memories.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Nothing but love for sheepsfoot models. A tip that robust can really come in handy for hard use situations. I also love any straight edge design. My all time favorite is the byrd rescue 2 because I've used it so much. I've used an Atlantic Salt also, which was nice. But the serrations were so deep it was crazy. I could make it work but sharpening with SM rods would be very difficult.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Caribbean, Rock Lobster, Autonomy are my favorites so far. I like them but I also tend to regrind the tip into a sharper point because I like the lack of belly but not the blunt tip. They're excellent at pull cuts and the low point makes tip cutting easier for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:33 pm
Caribbean, Rock Lobster, Autonomy are my favorites so far. I like them but I also tend to regrind the tip into a sharper point because I like the lack of belly but not the blunt tip. They're excellent at pull cuts and the low point makes tip cutting easier for me.
I sort of see what you're saying but it does have certain advantages in emergency situations. Because if I were a "first responder" I would most definitely EDC a serrated Sheepsfoot" blade for safety reasons if nothing else. Because one huge advantage of the rounded/blunted end of a sheepsfoot blade is that there is very little risk of hurting someone while cutting a seatbelt or having to cut anything else to free a person from a car wreck or other life threatening accident.

The Spyderco ASSIST model with the Glassbreaker is one I keep handy in a vehicle.

Also I've yet to find a Sheepsfoot blade that I like better than the ones on any of the Spyderco folders. Also the fixed blade "Jumpmaster" model with the Sheepsfoot blade is a great blade that should be in any emergency kit.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I assume you mean true sheepsfoot blades and not modified sheepsfoot blades, which is a very broad category and open for debate. I think I have even seen the spydiechef described somewhere as a modified sheepsfoot. Not sure about that one.
Mine are great. Yes I like them. I prefer serrated.
My first spyderco was the atlantic salt. Yellow and fully serrated. I still have it and that knife is almost always my backup knife on my drybag, or in my backpack, or whatever.
Ive also got the manbug salt. Tiny serrated sheepsfoot that you can keep on your keys.
I have the caribbean as well. I got it in pe. Its good but lately I have been thinking I might have been happier if I had gone for serrated. Its all good though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's been modded to be more like a wharncliffe, but this Atlantic Salt is the only sheepsfoot blade that finds its way into my pocket.

It's my go-to large folder carry choice for walking the dog on hot rainy days getting wet with rain feels better than getting sweaty wet in rain gear. The only way I see that having any chance of changing would be if Spyderco decides to offer a PE version of the Autonomy some time in the future.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:58 pm
I assume you mean true sheepsfoot blades and not modified sheepsfoot blades, which is a very broad category and open for debate. I think I have even seen the spydiechef described somewhere as a modified sheepsfoot. Not sure about that one.
Mine are great. Yes I like them. I prefer serrated.
My first spyderco was the atlantic salt. Yellow and fully serrated. I still have it and that knife is almost always my backup knife on my drybag, or in my backpack, or whatever.
Ive also got the manbug salt. Tiny serrated sheepsfoot that you can keep on your keys.
I have the caribbean as well. I got it in pe. Its good but lately I have been thinking I might have been happier if I had gone for serrated. Its all good though.
I concur with a lot of what you're saying. Bottom line is that I kind of view "Sheepsfoot" blades ( especially Spyderco's) in the same light that I view their Hawkbills. I find that both blade designs work at their optimum in SE ( Spyderedge). Also I find that Sheepsfoot blades do really well with that serration pattern that tends to be more spikey like most of the Japan made units instead of the serration pattern that is more wavy and rounded like Spyderco's kitchen and culinary blades have.

If I ever get that Carribbean model it will most definitely be the Spyderedged variant.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm
It's been modded to be more like a wharncliffe, but this Atlantic Salt is the only sheepsfoot blade that finds its way into my pocket.

It's my go-to large folder carry choice for walking the dog on hot rainy days getting wet with rain feels better than getting sweaty wet in rain gear. The only way I see that having any chance of changing would be if Spyderco decides to offer a PE version of the Autonomy some time in the future.
What is the handle made of?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not a fan. Any sheepsfoot folder I buy gets reground to have a pointy tip (Pacific Salt). I'll pass on models I'm otherwise interested in (Manbug Salt, Atlantic Salt) due to the lack of a tip.

I understand why Spyderco offers them, they fill an important role, but for me its a decrease in functionality.
:unicorn
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I have been using the Caribbean in plain edge / sheepsfoot variant. I dyed the handles so it is no a black / grey handle and I like it very much.

Kleon
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i love the slight sheepsfoot on the pacific salt. it provides a stronger tip, but without completely removing the tip and making piercing more difficult. it's probably the perfect compromise for my intended use in the water.
i also considered getting an assist for emergencies, but ended up going with something different. i still think the assist is a great knife, but i'm far less likely to carry it, and therefore, use it in a real emergency situation. also, it was never going to be my edc, so it made sense to carry something different that provided a little more versatility in my kit.
overall, i do really like the sheepsfoot blade. i also got to clean up an old rescue 2 for a friend and i preferred the ergonomics of that handle over the pacific salt, but i still prefer the pacific salt over the atlantic salt overall.
i've considered getting a couple of caribbeans... a se sheepsfoot for the water and a pe leaf for edc, but i need money to do that and i'd kind of like to see some kind of variation on the caribbean first, since this isn't a need and i already have those bases covered.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dan31 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 pm
Carried a SS GIn-1 SE Mariner in the US Coast Guard for years. Got the knife in 88. Used at at my motor lifeboat station for years. It saw a lot of cutting. I moved to the aviation side as an ASM. We had a choice of knives, autos and several small fixed blades. I chose to continue to carry and use my Mariner. It saw a lot of time in the ocean. I just tethered it to my vest. After each flight it would get rinsed and hung to dry with all my gear. I still have the knife and all the fond memories.
Well Dan31 you got me beat because I never ever heard of Spyderco until about 93 I think it was. Man some of those first edition Spyders must have been built like an Abrams Tank :cool: But you're not the only one I've heard testimony like that from. That's just amazing. I wish now I hadn't traded my Mariner away. But I did replace with a Spyder made in the late 90s>> it is that Stainless Handled RESCUE model with ATS-55 blade steel and of course a full set of teeth. It's even built more solid and is a bit heavier if you can believe that. Glad to have you aboard and welcome to the Forum by the way :)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm definitely a sheepsfoot fan, as I enjoy the stronger tip versatility. An added bonus is that it's a blade shape that says tool instead of weapon when in public spaces.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Used a Pingo as a work knife for a year and a half. Had more comments on it than any knife I have ever carried by the public.
Loved the versatility of the blade for making sandwiches in the field of all things. The perfect cut one side, butter spreading the other side.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I love me some Sheepfoot blades. Big fan of them on traditional knives. My Spydiechef is great, but I generally prefer my Sheepfoot blades to have little to no belly.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I love sheepsfoot, especially in SE. I've been coveting the Caribbean in that configuration since it was introduced. I just haven't pulled the trigger. I don't know what I've been waiting for. My gut says its the scales.
Justin
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:43 pm
Not a fan. Any sheepsfoot folder I buy gets reground to have a pointy tip (Pacific Salt). I'll pass on models I'm otherwise interested in (Manbug Salt, Atlantic Salt) due to the lack of a tip.

I understand why Spyderco offers them, they fill an important role, but for me its a decrease in functionality.

^^^ That ... word by word. I reground all my Pac Salt, Salt1 and Salt2 but I have nothing against a wharnie just because it doesn't loose the penetration capability... my SE wharnie Delica is most appreciated and often carried and used.
Last edited by elena86 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:13 pm
What is the handle made of?

Handle is stabilized birdseye maple over titanium liners with a titanium backspacer. Work was done by Steve Rice (STR) back when he was doing such things. He is also the craftsman responsible for turning an "original recipe" SS/Kraton handled Stretch into the ligum vitae jewel that's still my all time favorite carry knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm

I like that blade profile mod very much!! The Atlantic Salt handle looks very ergonomic too. I’ve often wondered if you could do a blade swap between the Atlantic and Pacific salts.